Revival Era

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ARGuitarGuy, Dec 6, 2018.

1. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    It seems like the pre-Fender revival era guitars don’t get a lot of love. I found a pretty nice ‘99 Anniversary in two-tone green used at a Guitar Center for about $1200. Feels pretty good, sounded good through a RI Deluxe Reverb, has nice deep jazz tones as well as tick-tac and twangier tones. Neck was a little slender for my taste but not terrible. Not sure how much GC is willing to haggle on price but it seems like it would be a great buy for $1000. Couple hundred on new electronics and maybe a few more for TVJs (not sure it needs them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    People are coming around to them, lots of folks love them already. Myself, they're Gretsch's and i love'em, my first was a '98 6120-60 that i sooooo wish i still had.
    And nooo that Anny don't need no TV's......

ARGuitarGuy likes this.
  3. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    Thanks wildeman! So the price sounds ok to you?

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal

5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Gretsch's aren't known for having chunky necks so its probably a pretty standard profile. My electro's have chunkier necks than any vintage or Proline that ive owned, except for my '44 New Yorker, that thing is a tree.

LivingMyDream likes this.
  6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I've noticed that difference between my 5420, and my Tennessee Rose. I prefer the neck profile of the Tennessee Rose, although the neck profile of the 5420 is only slightly chunkier.

7. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    I’m pretty accommodating really. I prefer something on the fatter side, but I can deal with.085 at the first fret. I cannot abide the Gibson “slim taper” however. That’s a recipe for hand fatigue. This Anny was toward the skinny end of my tolerance level.

I don’t see many of these around so was curious what the Gretsch “knowists” thought about the price.

8. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I had a 99 Hot Rod (44th one made if I remember right). Sure it had the 5-ply top and a sound post, but was a great guitar and really sang. It did have one of the slimmest necks. The only factor in eventually letting it go, not because it was pre-fender. And I did enjoy it for 11 years.

So if the guitar feels right, is priced right, and fits your needs... go for it.

ARGuitarGuy likes this.
  9. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I also think that there have been different "waves" of pre - Fenders, even on the Terada Factory production.
    My 6120, for example, it's an 1989 and, to be honest, it's more likely similar to a Baldwin than a FMIC. I guess that early production, after all those closing years, was a bit "tentative". Then they later fine tuned to something more accurate to the older production, that really blossomed after Fender bought the company.

ARGuitarGuy likes this.
  10. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    While the pre FMIC necks tend to be thinner :( than post FMIC necks, they also tend to have a narrower nut width :) which I prefer. Even though 1 11/16 has always been the standard Gretsch spec. I've found that pre FMIC's measure slightly under that while newer models measure slightly over. I keep a set of digital calipers handy and try to measure every Gretsch I come across.

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Electromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    My 6120-60 is from '97. The neck on it is very similar to my Taylor acoustic which makes going from one to the other at gigs real easy.

12. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Is that the one in the Paramus , NJ store ? If so , I played that one and found it to be a little stuff . It does not have the original case so use that as a haggling tool .

ARGuitarGuy likes this.
  13. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    Yes, that’s the one. Felt pretty good to me, but I don’t have a lot of experience with Gretsches. It needs a setup and heavier strings for sure. Good advice on the haggle. Thanks!

thunder58 likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Glad you liked it .... tell ya the truth ...I'm jealous ....lol . I'm sure with a good set up and the right strings it'll be great . I live in Tappan ( NY ) it borders Old Tappan / Northvale NJ but I'm sure you know that and my sister is in Paramus . If you need a good luthier let me know as I have 2 of them . 1 in Blauvelt NY and one in Orangeburg NY . It's a 20 minute ride from the store . Also , the salesmen you really want to deal with is Bob Lamb . Drop my name , Rich Padilla , tell him the Animal Control Officer , he'll remember me that way . I deal with him all the time and he's a great guy to deal with also . He's an up and up type of salesmen . PM me anytime
    Rich

15. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    P.S. It is a good price for the guitar but it's even better to haggle and save a little more ;)

16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Pre-Fender Gretsch guitars are a little different but wonderful instruments.
    There are some very useful construction aspects on them like the thicker laminated top. Many players swear by them. Some have(easy to solve) problems with their electrics. Apart of that little issue: No problem with these fine generation of Gretsch guitars.

...and the price is a steal, imho.

ARGuitarGuy and thunder58 like this.