reverened soft spring

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by jay_mci, Apr 25, 2019.

1. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Which one is softer, the SSS or Reverend?

I have one Reverend spring in the 5420, but it doesn't match the gold, so I will eventually replace it, but wouldn't want it any softer, maybe a little bit stiffer.

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    They’re about the same. No discernible difference between the rev or the squishy.

3. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I have used the biggs fix tuning stablizer on an Epiphone Wildkat and am getting ready to order one for my new G2655 Jr. Gretsch center block. They really are the key to keep those short body guitars in tune. I also have used his squishy springs as well.

sh4rkbyt3, calebaaron666 and radd like this.
  4. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    My three showed up yesterday and just put one on one of my 6120s.
    I like it much better than the original spring and don't mind that it's not gold..I'll probably be the only person to notice that!

audept and calebaaron666 like this.
  5. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I tried one, didn’t care for it.

6. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Just ordered my Bricks Spring in gold, thanks for this post ;).

audept likes this.
  7. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    The Reverend spring has been installed for about a week. I’ll give it a couple more days but I will probably be putting the original spring back in. I like the feel of the original one better. It also doesn’t work for some of the things I play.

jfassett likes this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I hope you all are using at least 11gauge strings w a bigsby on a 24.6 scale gretsch. Tuning stability begins at 11gauge

calebaaron666 and GreatGretsch like this.
  9. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I have both Reverend and BricksBiggsFix soft spring and both are WONDERFUL -- a HUGE improvement! As noted, the BricksBiggsFix products are available in both silver and gold. Reverend springs are only available in silver. The color is not a big deal since the spring is only visible to the player -- and how much time do you spend looking at the Bigsby spring while playing???

audept and G5422T like this.
  10. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Just wanted to say thank you for your post. I ordered a Brick'sBiggsFix spring for my 5420 and it made a huge difference! Also introduced me to string changing of a Bigsby hahaha. Much better now and I don't feel as if my guitar is going to explode on a whammy anymore :).

audept likes this.
  11. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks radd, I ordered and got my SSSG for my 5420 because of your post. Nothing against any other mfgs but I'd rather support a fellow member. The quality is outstanding and just the right type and tone of gold.

audept and radd like this.
  12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I play 11’s on all my guitars. Except the strat. That guitar gets sissy-hand 10’s.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  13. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I have 10s and a Reverend on my SSLVO....initially issues ..I took it off and realized the humidity screwed my setup up so I fixed that and put Rev back on...great ..no issues.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Well those babies are 25.5" scale. Tens are good but I do put 11g thomastik flats on my bigsby tele. I need that balanced return of the back n forth on the cast bigs bridge. Otherwise you end up like the other guy..

[​IMG]

sh4rkbyt3 and calebaaron666 like this.
  15. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I have been doing lot of lead work in a band situation covering different material so I need 10s for a little easier bending .I have recently been trying 9-.46 from Daddario .. pretty good
    On my Les Paul -- the true advantage here
    is the ability to cover a lot
    Of different stuff for lead work. I only use 10son my Gretsch guitars.Really depends on what music you do and in what situation that dictates the gauge... and the guitar. I only use Daddario and I've tried the majority of the brands out there.. something about the feel..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice