reverened soft spring

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by jay_mci, Apr 25, 2019.

1. jay_mci

jay_mci Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    indiana
    I just installed one on my g5420 after having a 1 inch spring and what a difference. Before, the bigsby didnt feel or sound responsive enough and I had to use a bit of force to get it to do what I wanted. After installing the soft spring its so much more useable to me. With less spring tension I was worried about tuning stability but its just as good as it was with the 1 inch spring. I highly recommend 1 of these springs and at 10 bucks shipped I feel its a steal.

2. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    They have worked great for me in my Gretschs.

3. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Gretschie

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    Have em’ in all of my Bigsby’s. Always will!

4. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, added one to mine as well, definitely a difference.

5. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I've been hearing about these for a while now...just ordered 3

6. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Put one on my 5420 and Epi ES295. It made a big difference to touch. Excellent low cost mod.

7. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Love the Reverend Spring.

20190215_124842.jpg

Lionpotato likes this.
  8. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Of all the mods I've done to my guitars, I feel that the soft spring was the best bang for my buck. The pick that came with the package has also become my main one. Bonus!

section2 and Lionpotato like this.
  9. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    audept, sh4rkbyt3, lerxst_x and 3 others like this.
  10. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    I have one, (and a 2017 5420). It seems like the spring is so much bigger than the one that came with the guitar. The Bigsby handle is at a completely different angle (without strings). Is that OK? Do you just push the handle down with string pressure and it all evens out? there seems to be a considerable difference...thanks

11. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    On my shopping list for my 2420T this week.
    Considering a Duane arm as well, although replacing the B60 with a B6 V is also an option but that will cost me half what I paid for the guitar.

12. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Some Gretsch come with a 7/8 spring some are an inch. All Rev. and Bricks are an inch I believe. Swapping inch/inch should make a big diff. - 7/8 for an inch will make less of a diff. Also, keeping the nylon washer/spacer in or not will make a diff., you'll need to experiment but can't hurt anything(famous last words ;) )

13. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have 3 bricks biggs fix squishy springs and one reverend soft spring. I actually like the bricks more, not that there’s much difference.
    Also, bricks doesn’t charge shipping for GT members!

https://bricksbiggsfix.com/product/sss/

14. mandobandit

mandobandit Electromatic

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I had the reverend spring out of my Guild in my new 6120 players edition, I decided I needed to put one back in the Guild.
    I opted for the Bricks as I wanted gold plated to match the rest of the hardware, much prefer the Bricks spring.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have some of the Reverend springs, But I switched to the Bricks Biggs Fix springs because I wanted gold springs to match the hardware on some of my guitars. I actually prefer the feel of the Bricks Biggs Fix springs over the Reverends.

Srellim1 and calebaaron666 like this.
  16. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Just ordered the Reverend

17. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    The Revverend spring I have is larger/higher than the spring that came with the 5420, is what I meant. Probably by about 20%. Is that the norm? (and those famous last words are often true for me hahah)
    Thanks

18. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes, it’s totally normal that it’s higher, it’ll still work great/better than the one that it came with.

19. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Hi - again, yes and no. The Rev. is 1 inch. Most(I believe) stock Gretsch are 1 inch with one more coil and a bit thicker - hence stiffer. Some Gretsch stock springs are shorter, about 7/8". Sounds like yours was 7/8" and was what Gretsch wanted on your 5420. I seem to remember my 5420 was shorter. So short answer is yes, I'd say it's normal.

Be nice to be able to source a 7/8 softer spring.

20. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Anyone try the Duesenberg “Bigsby style” springs?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice