Resistance is futile... NPTD :)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I must have taken what has to be basically the worst approach to avoid buying this thing possible, having them wheel over the ladder & pull it off of the upper most deck of hangars 3 times in the last week & a half so I could try to convince myself not to buy it, but that's me I guess o_O:oops: Still needs some new strings & a bit of a relief & saddle height tweak, but I'm fairly confident the reason I kept going back to make sure I didn't buy it is because I really did want it :)

With that awkward introduction out of the way, I present to you the new purple Tele (sorry about the fluorescent lit cell pics):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's a new 2019 Road Worn 50s Tele in purple metallic & I'm thinking I might be just a little bit in love...

Love the color & the relic is pretty tastefully done IMO & works really well aesthetically for me (outside of the color on the back of the neck being fairly extreme/abrupt). The feel of the finish, body & especially the neck is one of the features I just couldn't resist, it's done an amazing job of feeling like the guitar equivalent of your best broken in pair of jeans every time I've handled it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another major factor for me was the excellent resonance through the body & neck & the smooth but snappy feel to it.
    [​IMG]
    The neck was probably the biggest selling point for me all around, feels almost dead on the thumb burnished through the finish natural smoothness that my seriously player '63 JM has been my benchmark for for the last 2.5 decades. The profile is a really nice deep C, almost like the boatneck of an AVRI '52 or Baja w/ the end of the peak sanded down. It's got a noticably paired down, svelte feel in the width of it too. Fret ends are all great, some of the crowns seem a bit square in appearance to me, but fretting has been great functionally.

I was sorta surprised w/ how good the Tex Mex pickups are sounding to me as well, the bridge is a bit hot for me at what looks to be in the ballpark of usual height, but all around it cranks out the hopped up spank & twang that I love out of a rockin Tele & the neck has nice dynamics, body, & attack. I've still got another bridge SD Alnico II Pro & the Antiquity I had previously in the neck of the Entomopter sitting around so they may get swapped at some point in the future, but impression so far is that I could be very happy w/ them for rocking out on a long term basis.

They were able to price match the Musician's Friend ~18% off sale price w/ 36 month, 0% so that pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'm pretty glad I eventually gave up on the idea I was going to be able to not buy it now that it's done :D

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    JC higgy, blueruins, Merc and 10 others like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, I love it! Looks like the "Danish Pete" sig.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Merc, new6659 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    It came with the case ..didn't it ... didn't it . It did I just know it did . Beautiful guitar Sid , enjoy and congratulations

Waxhead and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  4. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Electromatic

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Nice color Sid! If you play out with it, people in the audience will be saying "Did you see the guy with the purple guitar?"
    Hey, it worked for Prince.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys!

If you count a Fender Deluxe gig bag as a case then, yes, of course it did :)

That is one downside of this price range, it's nice/expensive enough you feel like you really ought to get a proper case w/ it but then again I liked the feel & look of this one more than most of the custom shop ones that have rolled through my hands & I could buy one heckuva case for the ~ $3K of price difference :D

Hehe, for sure. I'm not gigging & I don't have quite as many of them as some other colors, but I like me some purple guitar. This one joins the FSR purple flake Classic Series Tele Custom & the Andromedary I sprayed w/ what I called galactic purple flake & I agree they're all born for the stage to be sure :):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JC higgy, blueruins, Merc and 2 others like this.
  6. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Nice score, enjoy

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Very nice Sid - I luv the purple too :)

So tell us - how many Tele's have you got now?
    Are they samey or are all a bit different? - not including colours or cases :)

8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    loves da purple! (its gone now, what will replace it next?)
    R6caZz+KSAuSHRv+9iXqmw.jpg

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Purple guitars are generally cool with me. Congrats on your new Tele, Sid.

10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Looks like a great comfy Tele. Purple is looks royal. I also like your sparkly ones too. They kind of remind me of the CS Holoflake Strat I used to have.

Enjoy the new Royal rocker!

11. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Love the Road Worn Teles. Is that a 9.5 radius?

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys!

It's a 7.25". I believe it's supposed to be 1 11/16" @ the nut but width but feels a bit narrower ( in a good way?) Edit:Measuring it's 1 5/8" nut width.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Sid ,that's a great lookin' Tele!:cool:

14. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I got a set of NYXL .010-.046 on this one today, swapped over to a set of Gotoh InTune titanium compensated saddles that hadn't found their home yet, got my luthier friend to give the nut some attention, & got the relief & action dialed in today.

I'm really pleased w/ the InTune saddles on this one so far. I'd tried them on the Noisy Cricket, Music Master & a few other teles to date & they were always over the top on the bite & the compensation was not particularly impressive but they seem to match up excellently w/ the TexMex pickups & this guitar tonally & all strings intonated within a cent on each string individually & between their neighbors.

It seems very happy w/ 7/64" relief consistent between the 12th, 7th & 5th & a consistent 4/64th" string height across all 6 six strings @ the 12th.

It's continued to impress all around & seems like it'll be a go to for rockin Tele fun :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  15. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks!

I've got several :cool:;) Running a mental inventory of the one's that I'm currently hanging onto, including the Road Worn & purple flake Custom pictured above, I've got :

The Booncaster (22 SS6105 frets w/ 9.5" radius & 59 roundback profile neck, alder body, a '78 WRHB in the neck & an SD Jerry Donahue in the bridge, Rutters 52 compensated brass saddles, & Kluson Supreme tuners)
    [​IMG]
    I put this one together as a not so faithful tribute to D Boon's Custom. It's been #1 tele w/ the probably quite close to officially dead band from its inception date, probably never going away

an AVRI '52 (pretty much stock aside from the Callaham compensated saddles)
    [​IMG]
    Probably ought to finally move this one along. It's a phenomenal Tele but I consistently haven't given it the playtime it deserves in the time I've had it.

The Entomopter ( 22 SS6105 frets & ebony board w/ 10-16" radius & w/ a slightly mellowed boatneck profile neck, LSR nut, mahogany thinline body, a TVJ Starwood Tele at the neck & a Novak TK Smith at the bridge, B16 tailpiece w/ 3 flavors of dBridge on tap, & Schaller Davinci tuners)
    [​IMG]
    This one still has a few detail things to finish up (decal, ebony neck pickup shim & string ferrule hole cover) but it's been functionally complete for a few weeks now I think & it's probably all I could have hoped for for classy/jazzy/surfy/pasketti sounds & playing. I see myself dying w/ this one as well at this point.

a '70s Ibanez (all stock)
    [​IMG]
    Awesome little lawsuit tele w/ tons of scrappy attitude. I love these Maxon pickups. Big bang for the buck IMO

& an ASAT Special Tribute (all stock):
    [​IMG]
    Really a cool tele IMO, I grabbed it to fill the ASAT Special shaped hole left when I traded away my '95 Special several years ago. Not quite the same thing, but cool in its own rite. Might be one to unload at some point.

They're all fairly different in personality I'd say although that's a matter of degrees I spose ;) The purple flake Custom & the Booncaster are definitely fairly similar, but at the same time, totally different. The Road Worn 50s probably straddles the gap between the AVRI '52 & Ibanez in personality/attitude on a polite/vintage 50s to rude/rocking continuum for me. The Entomopter & the ASAT Special are very much their own things.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Merc and Waxhead like this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well gotta say - adding on your new purple axe that's the best collection of Tele's I've ever seen :)

I could suggest a new one you don't have - a HH Tele with either 2 x TVJ filtertrons or PAF syle humbuckers

17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Love that color. Congrats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice