Replacing Tone Pot w/ a Tone Switch?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by HypotenusLuvTriangle, Jan 22, 2020.

  1. HypotenusLuvTriangle

    HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

    Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I don't like tone pots. I much prefer the tone switch. (i know i know... )

    Looking over diagrams.... can I just replace a tone pot in an Electromatic with a tone switch?? and use the same wiring?
    Or is there something keeping that from happening? I'm not good with electrical diagrams...


  2. swivel

    swivel Country Gent

    May 13, 2018
    What are you trying to accomplish? Two tone settings? like "No tone load" and "XXX resistance"?
  3. Synchro

    Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

    Jun 2, 2008
    Admin Post
    You can. Basically, a tone switch is just a switch which allows you to connect the signal to ground through one of two capacitors or have the tone circuit isolated from ground when the switch is in the center position. It’s simple, and IMO, a superior design to a tone pot.

    If you use the cap’ values of current production tone switch Gretsch you’ll find that the presets are fairly useful. I had experimented with a number of values and even tried building some fixed bridge circuits using a resistor and a cap’ but my 2018 G6119-1962 had a great tone circuit right outta the box.

    Keep in mind that the architecture of the switch is not the same as a pickup switch.
  4. G5422T

    G5422T Country Gent

    May 24, 2012
    Yes, you can change to a tone switch.

    I had a preFMIC with the mini pots that were acting up, so I had TV Jones make me a new harness with the tone swich where the pot used to be.

    I prefer the tone switch circuit.

    Best of luck with yours.
  5. Lockupyourfatdog

    Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

    Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I’ve done that mod a few times. Are you just going to have have the switch where the tone pit was or are you wanting to move it by the pickup selector?
  6. HypotenusLuvTriangle

    HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

    Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Thanks for all the replies!

    Yes, I just want to delete the tone pot and replace it with a tone switch and keep it in relatively the same place. I will swap the location of tone switch and the vol pot that’s closest to the Bigsby.

    Basically, the tone switch setup with the two tone caps and the no tone in the center. I’m just moving it from being connected to the pup switch and putting it where the tone pot would be in the wiring.

    yes. I’m looking at ordering a switch and learned a while back that they aren’t exactly the same. Great! I hope I don’t screw up the cap values!

    I hope I don’t blow anything up!!
    G5422T likes this.
  7. benjwri

    benjwri Country Gent

    Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    I've used a rotary switch on two guitars. Even went to the Gibson multi position!
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice