Replacing pickups/bezels in 6228

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Darren1982, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    398B409A-5FCE-4ED7-9680-4276003744B9.jpeg ok first my apologies with all the post. This is my first Gretsch I have owned so I’m learning about new things.

You guys have been great!

If I replace the pickups to either 2x TVJ Classic, 2x gretsch filterton HS

I have noticed some duo jets have 3 hole Bezels and some have 2???

What do I need? The 3rd hole middle is the pickup height. So if I got them I would need ears on the pickups? TVJ supplies these with the pickup. Go Gretsch supply them with the pickups too?

Why are there jets with only 2 holes?

Classics or gretsch Filtertrons?

Also anyone good at photoshop?

Can you make the picture above have a
    1)gretsch silver pickguard
    2) white
    3) silver pickguard with silver bezels

Thanks

2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    IMHO Darren1982, with your black G6228 Jet, Silver would be the nicest, the must...

But it's me, OK ? :D

My G5220 Jet isn't black, but Dark Cherry Metallic - on the pictures light below, I think it's close enough to Black to appreciate the rendering of Silver guard and bezels :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2 or 3 holes bezels choice :

1 - Gretsch HS FT - to my knowledge - doesn't come with brackets for an English mount (as you find on Gibson, Gretsch Pro-Jets...) but for the conventional rubber + wood screw bracing mount. In this case, you'll have to add a bracket or a plate to supply the fixing threads. It's not very difficult...

Here's the factory stock mounting of the BT FT that was on my 2010 G543LH Pro-Jet - you can celarly see the plate and the 3 screw disposition :

[​IMG]

Inspired by this method, I duplicated it when I installed a pair of BT FT on my Hagstrom Viking RI, but in a 2 screw arrangement :

[​IMG]

These solutions would be perfectly usable with HS FT pickups, if needed.

You just have to buy undrilled conventional Gretsch bezels and drill them to dimensions, if you can't find pre-drilled 2 or 3 holes bezels (3 holes are for BT FT and DC SHT notably)

A+!

new6659 likes this.
  3. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Wow thanks again!

Your not afraid of modding/making things. So are you saying if I buy gretsch then I’ll need some modding too do, plate needs to be made. If I went TVj I won’t need to as they supply everything?

4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    - For Gretsch HS FT, I'm sure that you'll need to require the plate / bracket mod.

- For BT FT, they come now directly with 3 screw brackets, as do the DC SHT. So no plate mode required.

- Fot the TV Jones, I can't tell, sorry : I never had any TV Jones on hand (yes, true !) but I think there's much TV Jones users on the forum that will answer that question in details... ;)

A+!

5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Most TV Jones filtertrons come with brackets (or “ears” as they call them) to suspend from the bezels, BUT you’ll need to order a lil’ adapter for the 2-screw side. Or make your own like I did...
    33EF76CC-C36E-4F99-A915-284C8C68BD2D.jpeg DE21082B-BF7C-4FAF-B986-BE95543A351A.jpeg

new6659 and section2 like this.
  6. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    BC109F2C-CDAD-47DD-B151-084091A3A27E.jpeg E0B5D2A4-4881-4984-B798-B85390671BA0.jpeg Ok,

What if I got the the gretsch em2 bezel TVJ sells them on the website.

Im 6228 can I not just screw the pickup with the ears to it?

I hope you don’t mind I used a picture in the classifieds of TV classic. Go look and buy it :)

7. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Correct, and when you make that move, contact me and I will buy your bt65 pickups and gold bezels from you!

8. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    These gold bezel and pickups seem to be very rare? What price are they worth? £££

So basically bezels that only 4 screws (2 either side) are for filterton body mounted only.

7 hole (4 and 3) screws are what I have Bt65

6 hole are for TVJ Pickups.

What will just standard Gretsch fit into? Just a body mounted guitar?

9. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    PM me and we can chat more about the price on your bt65 pickups and rings.

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Look at the pics below Darren1982, and you'll have the answer. ;)

Under plastic film protection is the BroadTron with its matching bezel (aka BT65 size) and the other is the BT FT with itsmatching bezel (aka regular FT size). The guitar is my G5220 LH, which came stock with BroadTrons that I swapped for a pair of DC SHT (aka regular FT size).

BT FT and BroadTron size and bezel comparison :

[​IMG]

The PU swap on my G5220LH - Before (upper) and After (lower) :

[​IMG]

A+!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  11. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m a sucker for a good before and after photo.

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    My G5220LH-DCM, right out of the box, the day of arrival, fully original condition :
    [​IMG]

After B3LH and "Custom Made" stopbar plate install, still with BroadTron pickups :
    [​IMG]

After "Custom Jet" pickguard and "Custom Jet" stopbar plate change, and DC SHT pickups swap :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A+!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    new6659 and calebaaron666 like this.
  13. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Awesome! Great work.
    There really ought to be a thread of before/after pictures.

14. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Thats awesome thank you!

Where did you get your pick guard from?

15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks !

I design them with a vectorial drawing software and have them engraved locally by a laser-engraving workshop.

Before and After :
    [​IMG]

The whole set, with protective plastic :
    [​IMG]

The design :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A+!

calebaaron666 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice