Replacement machines 1967 6120 Nashville

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by gfirob, Jul 17, 2019.

1. gfirob

gfirob Electromatic

Jul 5, 2019
    Rochester, Vermont
    I'd like to replace the failing tuning machines on a 1967 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville, which look like open-backed Grovers, with oval buttons. Does anyone know what new tuners will fit the footprint, screw-holes, and the diameter of the holes in the headstock? I know Stewmac stocks a fairly large variety of these, but I do not know the correct ones. If possible I'd like to improve the turning ration as well (the originals are 12 to 1). Thanks

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    They still make Grover Sta Tites.

3. gfirob

gfirob Electromatic

Jul 5, 2019
    Rochester, Vermont
    Thanks, I know they do, but are the footprints and shaft diameter the same?

4. afire

afire Country Gent

There is not a drop-in replacement that requires no modification. The original tuners are Waverly, not Grover. There is a modern Waverly, but they make mostly Grover-style tuners, not reissues of the old ones.

The last time this came up on the other Gretsch board, the apparent best option was thought to be these Gotohs:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.musicianmadness.com/got...oval-buttons-w-hardware-allparts-tk-7806-002/

The screw holes seem to be a very close match, 15:1 ratio is somewhat of an improvement, and Gotoh makes a good quality product. But, it's very likely you will have to ream out the shaft hole at least a little.

gfirob likes this.
  5. gfirob

gfirob Electromatic

Jul 5, 2019
    Rochester, Vermont
    Just as a followup, I bought 18-1 Grover Sta-Tites and they were a perfect drop-in fit, able to use the original bushings, left in place. Screw hole matched too. I got them in gold and they work great.

wildeman and MTurner like this.
  6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That's good to hear. I have some 15:1 StaTites and was thinking in terms of going to 18:1 machines.

7. afire

afire Country Gent

That's interesting. The last time I did it was about 15 years ago, and the Sta-Tites I used required reaming out for bigger bushings and the screw holes were off a little. Now I'm wondering, were the original tuners that you replaced Waverly or Van Ghent? These are the Van Ghents:
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice