Replaced the Mini-Gretschbuckers in my G5238T

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by DougCraft, Jun 18, 2019.

1. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    The mini humbuckers in my Pro Jet sounded muted and definitely not inspiring, so I had a set of GFS Slick P90s installed along with a 500-KΩ volume pot and bass contour (1-MΩ audio taper pot with a 0.0022 µF cap) replacing the treble roll-off tone. The bass contour works just like on my Reverend Warhawk 390 - it allows bass to be rolled off while leaving the circuit open for treble. This guitar is now the nastiest little rock beast on the high plains.

Atomic Samba c 108054.jpg

Anybody else switched out minibuckers for P90s?

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Yep, I replace mini-buckers on my Junior Jet II with GFS P90s. Best thing that ever happened to that guitar. The minis suck.

Charlie westside and DougCraft like this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Looks great, and I bet it sounds fantastic!

I replaced my minibuckers with a TV Classic neck and an HS Filtertron bridge. Routing the cavities and mounting the pups turned into a muuuuuuch bigger job than I'd expected, but I had fun with it. If I'd known what I was getting into, though, I might have dropped in a pair of GFS P90s or NYIIs.

Charlie westside and DougCraft like this.
  4. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    IMG_9499.JPG

Gretsch's pickups swap for my duo of pro-jet ! Very happy with these two bought used for few $$$

5. old fella

old fella Gretschie

Dec 11, 2009
    uk
    Some people found the NY 11s a bit over powering and unsubtle and reverted back to the minis. The minis need a bit of dialing in and are improved by a Compon Bridge. You can get some good mellow 60s tones from them plus an overdrive pedal with a tube amp gives a great rock sound. Each to his own. I did actually have mine rewound in the end to get a bit more Mojo to the original sound.

DougCraft likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice