Removing dry transfer decals

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Telechamp, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I put a couple of "dice" dry transfer decals on the back of my 5120 headstock and now wish I hadn't done it. And now I don't know how to remove them (if that is even possible)...

I didn't realize how thin these dice dry transfer decals were.. And these particular decals are evidently pretty transparent - the finish of the guitar (which is black) actually shows thru the decal.. Plus, as the photos show, you can plainly see the borders of the decals very well - which is a look I didn't want... I didn't realize the borders of the decals would be so prominent when I applied them...

So they look cheap and low quality to me after I put them on, and don't look good at all, in my opinion.. :(

(FYI, I got them at Michael's and they are Pinewood Derby decals..)

Any solutions out there for removing these dry transfer decals? (They are not the wet transfer ones..)

Thanks!

(Oh yeah - I also put them on the back of my Pro Jet's headstock... duh)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Try a gentle bath of rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol dissolves a lot of adhesives, has low surface tension and won't harm a poly finish.

3. starwhitehair

starwhitehair Gretschie

Feb 21, 2012
    Jersey, USA
    Scotch tape should lift it off with no problem.

4. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Wow, that was fast! OK, Synchro, I will definitely try the rubbing alcohol. I tried regular Scotch tape, but that didn't work at all.. Thanks, man!

5. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

I actually did try Scotch tape (I read on the internet that Scotch tape would work) but it didn't even phase them at all... Maybe these particular Pinewood Derby dry transfer decals are not your average ones, but who knows?

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    If that doesn't work try tequila. It won't help to remove the decals but four shots of tequila will help you not to care about the decals. :)

7. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Duly noted... ;)

8. Dan C

Dan C Country Gent

Mar 20, 2011
    London
    I don't know if rubbing alcohol is the same formula as lighter fluid but try it too! Also, on other adhesive based stickers or tape (anything really) a short low intensity go with hair-dryer goes a long way... NO IDEA WHAT THIS WILL DO TO POLY, DONT TRY IT UNTIL SOMEONE SAYS TO OR AS LAST RESORT. :)

Good Luck :)

9. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Thanks, Dan. If the rubbing alcohol doesn't work, I'll definitely try the naptha.

As to the blow dryer, I hadn't thought of that, but I also wonder if it will damage the poly in any way.. ??

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Second subheading; click here. Only the most powerful thermonuclear weapons will damage poly and then, only slightly. :)

11. Dirtymug666

Dirtymug666 Synchromatic

Mar 10, 2011
    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    Not to gross anyone out, but if none of that works, try your own saliva. It has enzymes that break down quite a few things. Not kidding

www.reverbnation.com/thedirtymugs

12. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Ha! That's what I thought!! That poly is indestructible...

Hey Synchro - I'm gettting ready to try the rubbing alcohol. Will let you know how it turned out...

13. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

OK, but that'll be the last resort...

14. Somewhere i read that wd40 works on these finishes. But please, before you do, look into it.

15. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Nope. The rubbing alcohol didn't even phase it... I tried first with a Q-Tip, then a cotton ball, then a rag. Nothing.

I guess I'll move on to the low heat setting on the blow dryer next..

16. jbcallender

jbcallender Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    A little bit of WD40 on a cloth might take them off.

17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I think it'd be safe . . .

18. Rowland1

Rowland1 Gretschie

Mar 20, 2011
    Upstate NY
    'Goo Gone' is great for removing adhesive. I've used it to remove wet transfer decals. Might be worth a try.

19. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

I'm thinking I am going to try the WD-40 then. The blow dryer didn't work, either.. I did also try the Goo Gone. They wouldn't budge. And for me, Goo Gone has been pretty successful on stuff like that, too...

Man, those Pinewood Derby decals must be indestructible..

20. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I heard that peanut butter works too! If not, then try the left overs with some jellied bread. I hear it's all the rage.

mj

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice