Relic? No Way? Well.......

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Robbie, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    A buddy asked me a while ago if I'd ever buy a reliced guitar and I said, nope wouldn't ever want one. Then weeks later thought about my 355. I never considered it a reliced guitar because I reliced it from years in clubs and Festivals. Plain old road wear. Its got the "hand wear relic", the "elbow relic", the "drummer dropped his cymbal on it relic" and the ever popular "Export A cigarette relic"
    Kind of like its Owner, lot of miles and the bruises to show it. After all that, still the best guitar neck I've played. Every other guitar I've played comes up a little short.

IMG_0879.JPG IMG_0880.JPG IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0881.JPG

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Beautiful, honest wear.

Jeff67, Dave-B, Robbie and 1 other person like this.
  3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    thats cool. I'm laughing at the peek show though because youre afraid of the black van! :) :) It almost showed up

Robbie likes this.
  4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Yep, scary great neck. I hear it sounds OK too. :)

Robbie likes this.
  5. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

;);) The beloved "Export A" relic! I don't see that on custom shop reissues but it's easy enough to do at home.

Robbie and pmac11 like this.
  6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I like that kind of relic job.

It's a lot like the kind of relic job I gave myself over the years. When I was in my early 50's, people thought I looked more like late 30's. By the time I hit 60, folks weren't missing my age by much anymore, Hey, life hasn't always been a breeze, and I'm ok if people can tell there's a little mileage on me.

Enjoy that old friend, and show it off proudly!

Outlaw, MotorCentaur, Robbie and 2 others like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's an honest relic, and you didn't have to pay for someone in a factory to abuse it for you.

TheMicster and Robbie like this.
  8. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    That’s not a relic work, it’s the wear and tear of a road warrior.
    Somebody call that mojo, and to me it’s the only true plus that makes any guitar really your guitar.
    I tip my hat to that. :)

MotorCentaur and Robbie like this.
  9. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

This is really cool. It's the real thing vs the fake "fashion relic guitar".

Robbie likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Nice Robbie , bet it took some years to get it just right ;)

Robbie likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Gretschie

Feb 28, 2020
    E. Tennessee
    Honest wear is a great look.

Robbie likes this.
  12. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Yes Sir. Around 30

thunder58 likes this.
  13. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Tell ya Brother I’ve played literally dozens of 355’s over the years and to me this one is different, a fatter sound, a different feel. Not sure why, maybe to do with it being rewired from Stereo to Mono? I’ll never know. When all these current issues are behind us I’d like to pay you a visit and have you run it through your Bassman. For a few years it was matched with a mid 70’s Quad Reverb. 4x12 135 Watts. What a great sound. Cheers.

14. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Honest guitar wear,tear & natural battle scars are cool in my book..

What I still don’t get is people paying thousands of pounds/Dollars etc for a pre knackered,Worn, scratched guitar.
    I love cherish, clean & look after all my guitars.
    They all have natural road wear including my 2005 Falcon which has a few little battle scars of it’s own down to gigging it regularly..

Robbie and dougmon like this.
  15. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    i really like that wear, my old mustang was near mint when i got it and after 5 years on the road as my main guitar the back had hardly any paint left but i did wear a massive buckle at the time, it looked amazing!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Robbie likes this.
  16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Wow, what a monolith. Quad Reverbs weighed as much as a Buick - a perfect amp for those folks who say, "a Twin's not THAT heavy."

You're always welcome, my friend. That sweet Gibson of yours would sound insane through the Bassman. We can try three generations of them, the 61 brownface, the 65 blackface and the 68 silverface. I bet it sounds amazing through all of them

Robbie likes this.
  17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Good relic. Love it - I like a guitar with honest wear. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a "properly" relic'd guitar either. Some look authentic, others do not.

Robbie likes this.
  18. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Believe it or not, there’s still people that tour with them monsters (no, not me, I’m too old even for a head/cab layout)... 5 years ago we toured the Netherlands with this Dutch band called DeWolff. Young fellas in their mid 20s, think Cream but with Hammond instead of bass. They toured with FOUR Quad Reverbs, nonetheless. I hurt my back just watching them unload their van. They had 2 roadies though

MotorCentaur and Robbie like this.
  19. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Love to see some pics of the whole guitar!

Robbie likes this.
  20. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, natural ageing is quite nice on a guitar. 20190927_183755.jpg 20190720_151504.jpg 20190423_144925.jpg even on Banjo's:D

Robbie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice