Recommended bridge pickup to pair with a T-Armond neck pickup?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by DHart, Oct 8, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    I thought I'd ask for your thoughts on this question.

I recently got a set of T-Armonds. I very much like what I'm hearing from the neck pickup. And the output is BIG!

The bridge pickup sounds good in concert with the neck pickup, but on its own, is a bit "middy" oriented for my taste (11.8k and 4.5H inductance.). I'd probably prefer a lower output, and more of a wide-range "hi-fi" tone quality from the bridge pickup.

If I were to replace the T-Armond bridge pickup, what would you suggest considering as a replacement to go with the T-Armond neck pickup?

Some options I'm considering are:
    -T-Armond neck pickup (8k, 3.38H)
    -TV Classic PLUS bridge pickup (7.8k, 2.83H)
    -TV Magnatron bridge pickup (8.0, 2.92H)
    -TV Classic bridge pickup (4.8k, 1.83H)

The output of the T-Armond bridge is clearly quite a bit higher than the TV-HT bridge pickup, but seems just slightly louder than an HS Filter'tron bridge pickup output.

I probably would be best off choosing from the first three pickups on my list.

Would a T-Armond neck pickup likely sound excellent in the bridge position?

I'm looking for the sweet, bright, clean, clear, "hi-fi" tone quality that I hear from an HS Filter'tron bridge pickup with a 1M volume pot and no-load tone pot. That sound is clean, clear, and bright, but still sweet, not harsh or edgy.

The biggest issue with a replacement bridge pickup is matching the relatively high output of the T-Armond neck pickup (it does have substantial output.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I like the idea of the T-Armond neck pickup in the bridge position. Bear in mind that the T-Armond casing isn't as tall as the bridge one, and will probably need elevating with spacers to get the balance right.

Back in the 50's there wasn't such a thing as separate bridge and neck pickups.

new6659 likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    With many guitars, having a taller bridge casing isn't needed. Such is the case with my ES-Les Pauls, D'Angelico EX-SS hollow body, and Gibson ES-339 - no need for a tall bridge pickup casing. NICE! So, a T-Armond neck pickup would work fine in any of these guitars.

I guess it's some of the big Gretsch hollow bodies, with the bridge & strings way up off the top, where the bridge pickup needs to be jacked way up.

4. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    GFS Surf 90 Mwahahaha!

DHart and BorderRadio like this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Excellent idea actually, those are some twangy pickups..

DHart likes this.
  6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    TV Classic Plus

DHart likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    GFS Surf 90? Really?

Their pickups have never been on my radar because I always had the impression that they were just dirt cheap and not very great.

I guess I need to reconsider that!

(Old dog learns new tricks??? Mwaaahahahaha!)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    BorderRadio likes this.
  8. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I’d probably mess around with the pole pieces, height, and maybe even the orientation of the bridge T-Armond first. Maybe move the neck T-Armond to the bridge and see if it sounds much different from just backing off the T-Armond bridge. The downside of going with two neck T-Armonds is that you give up the middle position hum-canceling that you get with the RWRP T-Armond bridge when paired with the neck, unless you modify one of them.

DHart and BorderRadio like this.
  9. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I have a double jet with a T-Armond in the neck and a GFS Dream 90 in the bridge and the combination is awesome! IMG_20190427_153329_hdr.jpg

10. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Yes, I've thought about trying the neck T-Armond in the bridge position to hear how it sounds. Good idea. I will try that!

And, I hadn't thought about losing the hum-cancelling in middle position, though that isn't a big issue for me. My pickups have quick connectors, so I can move them easily and fairly quickly - no need for solder nor to remove the wiring harness.

jfassett likes this.
  11. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Cool looking guitar! I don't know anything about the Dream 90 or the Surf 90, but those pickups seem to have earned some respect around here?

jfassett likes this.
  12. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    This sounds amazing to me, I must get a set for my Cabronita Thinline....

DHart likes this.
  13. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    If you have Fideli'trons in your Cab TL, try a 1M volume pot before you abandon the Fideli'trons - that change really brought my Cabronita TL to a whole new level of tone performance. Now, I LOVE these pickups in the Cab.

[​IMG]

14. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Actually, I found them too bright for me (as opposed to in a big hollowbody), so I went the other way- 250K pots (my cab has a vol and a tone). Thickened it up nicely. I actually think the Fidelitrons are quite good, they are just not what *I* wanted to hear out of my Cab.

It's got TVJ T-90s in it (250K pots), and it's awesome. Still want to try the T-Armonds tho.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice