Recommendations for a good home-use amp to go with my 5422?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by EssEll, Dec 5, 2019.

1. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    Suggestions welcome, folks (this has probably been asked here before but my initial search didn't help much):

I can tell this new 5422 and I are going to be with each other for quite a while and I'd love to do it justice with the right amp to let it sing. Something on the smaller side, for home use -- and I'm a Fender fan, BTW, but I've read good things about Vox and others -- just looking for something that fits well with this guitar. Whaddya got? Thanks in advance...

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Fender Deluxe Reverb is one of the best all around amps ever made. A Princeton is similar, and great for home use, just a little less power. Blues Jr. is another good choice.
    The Vox AC10 or AC15 are also good choices for home use.
    Pricier, the Mesa Transatlantic gives you the best of both.
    Look for an Ampeg Jet--15 watts and the best reverb around.
    As you're in the Northwest, look for a Traynor.

Anything in the 10-15 watt range is suitable for home use, and can be used for gigging as well---mike it if you need more juice.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Tony65x55, Floo, Bertotti and 4 others like this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'm happy with my Fender Mustang II. It's a modeling amp with plenty of different models and effects. I like the master volume knob, which allows me to keep the volume low even with the gain maxed out.

I'm not sure I would want to play a live show with it, as the controls are a bit fiddly and you need to plug it into a computer to adjust the settings well, but I love it for quiet practice.

LongJohn likes this.
  4. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I got a fender tone master twin reverb and I’m not regretting it or looking back. Instantly became my number one amp. Great for the home or the stage or recording. She does it all.

before that my Peavey Classic 50 2x12 was a beautiful fit for a Gretsch as well

GlenP likes this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Been very pleased with my Vox AC10C1VS.

Great sound, simple controls, and a very nice sounding reverb at a good price point.

20181211_142447.jpg

6. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Fender Blues Junior or Vox AC10 both great sounding home amps.
    The Blues Junior is more than loud enough to gig with too..

GreatGretsch, larryb and new6659 like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If you want tubes get something that goes down to 5w, maybe 10w, or has an attenuator.

Also, home amp doesnt have the same meaning for everyone. If you want something no more than conversation level, than even a 5w will be too loud without a master volume (or sound anemic). I also recommend Mesa as one of the few brands that make amps that actually sound good at conversation and gig volumes. I dont think fenders (maybe a small one like the princeton) or vox really do that without sacrificing what you like about them.

The above is for tube amps. If you're ok without tubes, there are many more choices for now volume.

EssEll and section2 like this.
  8. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I have been on the fence about getting a new amp, I have been thinking about some of those mentioned already, all good options, and have been leaning towards a Peavey Classic 50, and maybe an attenuator for practice. Not that I really need one, or have the space, but am just flirting with the idea.

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @EssEll , when I was shopping around for an amp , a headphone jack was an important feature as I'm in a small house . Not sure what you're really looking for , but I love my Roland JC-40 . When going " green board amp " , nothing beats Roland ....it's what they do . IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

10. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I used to play Eddie Cochran in a Buddy Holly tribute show. I used a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 for that. I had a fender at first but it was just too loud and fighting with sound people got old, but the Peavey sounded better in my opinion and was more versatile and easier to tame. I had the older made in America version and just removed the Peavey tag so it looked like a vintage tweed. It was a great amp! Almost regret selling it

GlenP likes this.
  11. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    ...the most versatile amp for both humbuckers and single coil that I have found is the Vox AC15...just a great sounding all around amp.

12. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    If money is no object check out these handmade amps made in Seattle, Verellen
    https://verellenamplifiers.com/store

You can get 300w of raw power and roast a pig for a Hawaiian luau with their MeatSmoke amp!

Waxhead and new6659 like this.
  13. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    this is my home setup, highly practical! 759588c31dc46f2091af0ce55bbd0ee9.jpg no but really any kind of vox would be great, there are some affordable digital versions which sound amazing, or a vox AC15 or AC10

14. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Been socking away money for the new boss katana mk 2, many amp tones and access to a slew of boss pedals, and it has a headphone jack.

15. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I agree. That’s what I settled when I was going through what Ess Ell is experiencing. It’s a great amp, perfect match for a Gretsch.

GlenP likes this.
  16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Wow! A really wide open question. All I can tell you is what amps I have settled on and really like

My Fender Princeton Reverb tube, lovely tones.

6249C6D4-054A-4A16-867C-1B79CA0FD066.jpeg

My Roland Blues Cube Stage SS amp. Amazing tube type tones, ultra light with a headphone jack in back. It is the amp I take places. The Fender stays home.

5A08C74C-3504-40C9-A659-C36D231DC793.jpeg

G5422T, Lockupyourfatdog and new6659 like this.
  17. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    What does “green board amp” mean?

thunder58 and Groutsch like this.
  18. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

I play my 5422 through a Fender Blues Jr and the sound I find is really nice! My model is NOS lacquered tweed. Bright sound from Jensen speaker.

Trash Kidd and new6659 like this.
  19. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Old Peavey Delta Blues 15"

Donaldo, Bertotti and Groutsch like this.
  20. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Something like a Fender Princeton Reverb or Blues Jr. is a good place to start. A Deluxe Reverb would be a bonus. Vox amps are also good and some of the Valvetronix ones sound very good at low volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice