Recommed A Chorus Pedal For Me

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by diamoroso, Apr 4, 2019.

1. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    So I'm looking into getting a better chorus sound. Currently I'm using an Electro-Harmonix Neo Clone (basically a Small Clone in a smaller box), and I really don't like it. I am not sure exactly how to describe what I don't like about it, but it just sounds cold and goofy to me. I have also owned a Small Clone, and the other guitarist in my band has an Electric Mistress, all of which sound similar and I dislike, so I'm pretty sure what I'm looking for wont be made by EHX.

But then, I really have no idea what I'm looking for to tell you the truth. I don't have a specific sound in mind, and I don't need it for any of our material, but I do generally like the sound of chorus at the right times. The pedal would be run through either an Orange TH30 or a Twin Reverb, so since those are two vastly different amps the pedal would ideally work well with many amp flavors.

So please, tell me what chorus pedals you like, and what you like about them. I'd prefer not to spend more than $200 on this, but if there is something really special I might be willing to go over!

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    diamoroso likes this.
  3. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Dyno My Roto for the classic tri chorus.
    Check out the Alexander Wavelength for the not so simple

I'm intrigued

diamoroso likes this.
  4. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I have come full circle. Tried several Chorus' in the last 5 years or so. I recently re bought the big box Visual Sound liquid chorus/ delay. Version 1. I just haven't found anything I like any better. Many of the chorus' I tried effected tone too much, made it thin, or dropped volume or etc.
    I have never tried any high end ones though. I have hard time spending over $100 on a pedal...
    What I like: It's rich sounding, has effective but well spread out controls. It's not thin sounding. I tried the VS more recent Chorus only pedal in a normal size format. It just wasnt the same.

diamoroso likes this.
  5. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Electromatic

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    I'm not really into 70s stuff and am a minimal chorus user. Reviews led me to the TC Corona which someone billed as "the chorus for people who hate chorus". The Corona does the classic chorus thing beautifully and I use that voice occasionally on pieces where an almost organ-like tone is called for. I also found a good toneprint called "clean chorus" which is more subtle and is nice to put just a hint of shimmer on the tone. This setting along with a light mix of an Ego compressor are on a lot. The Corona adds some nice body to the tone and puts a little more fullness into an overdrive depending on how you set it. The only negative thing about the pedal is the color, John Deere tractor green. Good luck on your quest.

pmac11 and diamoroso like this.
  6. hlarry14

hlarry14 Electromatic

Oct 7, 2009
    Colorado
    If you aren’t sure of the sound you are looking for and would like a very flexible pedal, you may want to check out the Source Audio Gemini chorus pedal. Source Audio has three modulation pedals in this series (Gemini Chorus, Lunar Phaser and Mercury Flanger.) If you have any one of these, you can load any of the sounds from all three pedals via their Neuro app (desktop or mobile.) Source Audio’s basic approach is to make their pedals intuitive and simple to use with just the knobs on the pedals, but to allow great tweakability through the app for those want it. If you prefer the color/looks of one of those pedals over another, you could choose whichever one you like and load the sounds you want (from those three pedals) on it. As far as how the pedals sound, that is subjective - I think they sound great.

diamoroso and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Are you referring to the H2O ?

8. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    diamoroso and audept like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Walrus Audio’s Julia is great. I actually use it more as a vibrato though.

diamoroso and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Well I'm a Chorus freak myself but really could never find " the one " to satisfy me . I have a Roland JC-40 with that classic Roland Corus built in . But sometimes I want that extra kick in a Chorus ....I really like what @audept has to offer here . And @LivingMyDream Bob said not to long ago he was sorry he gave up his TrueTone H2O which I've been eyeballing ..... Oh decisions decisions

diamoroso and audept like this.
  11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Out of what I've tried, the Walrus Audio Julia would be the easy winner if I had to pick just one to have, it seems to handle thick and chewy as well as airy/shimmery stuff tonally has some nice vibrato sounds too. It has nice range in speed and depth as well, and just tickles me whenever I kick it on regardless of how it's dialed.

Other cool ones that I think I'll have a hard time letting go of are the Moog MF Chorus (funky and thick w/ a distinct feeling you're creating the modulation via delay) and the old big box EHX Stereo Polychorus. Both of those seem to do a better job of extreme sounds than the more subtle stuff I'd general use for playing live w/ people though and take up a fair bit of real estate.

Honorable mentions go to the Malekko Omicron Chorus (really pretty great sounding analog chorus but not particularly tweakable, takes up minimal space though) and the Danelectro Cool Cat (to me it seems like a very '80s sounding effect and looks like a '50s Chevy, what's not to like for ~$20 used :) )

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    diamoroso and BorderRadio like this.
  12. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    I use the Visual Sound H2O that I’ve had for years now. I don’t use chorus a lot, but when I do this one does what I want.

diamoroso likes this.
  13. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yes, thanks, I knew I had something wrong! The first two models are my preferred. I've had 4 different models of it over the years.

diamoroso and thunder58 like this.
  14. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Had a VS H2O V1 some years ago and miss it. My local guitar shop has a V2 I am gassing for.
    Check it out.

15. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    I was a teenager in the '80s. If I never hear chorus again, it'll be too soon...

The "classic" chorus sound on recordings was invariably a Roland JC120 amp - which had it built in - or a the Boss Chorus pedal, which was the same circuit in a stompbox, I think.
    So... Boss CH-1 would be my recommendation.

diamoroso likes this.
  16. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I had that one too. Isn't that V3? I prefer the ones that are flat on top. Although it may be a nit pick. One version has a little cyclone like logo, the other has a V like logo. Both those are good IMHO.
    People used to call these V1 and V2 , but not the company I guess!:
    There's actually one of these versions with the rocker switch located up near the knobs also IIRC.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  17. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I'm lovin' the sound of this pedal . How do you thing these ( older models ) compare to the new model ? ( anyone )

18. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    My V1 had a noticeable volume boost when chorus was engaged (didn't like that).
    Other than that I loved the sounds that came out of that box.
    I need to try out a V2 to see if that does it too.
    My local guitar store has a used one for $89...hmmm
    Here's V3: https://truetone.com/v3-h2o/
    Lots of refinements on this version make it pretty desirable over the V1 and V2, and much smaller too if fit on a pedalboard is an issue.

19. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    The older ones I've had just seemed to be a little more "rich" or musical sounding. But it's not a huge thing as I remember.

thunder58 likes this.
  20. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yeah, interesting they call that V3. Is VS now Truetone? I guess they call all the flat ones V1, the ones with the raised deck V2 and the new model V3. I know of 3 different flat versions before it changed to the V2 one you showed earlier..

It's nice they finally got rid of the big V shaped box that's not pedalboard friendly. As I mentioned earlier, I tried the smaller single pedal version chorus they made but it's not the same sound.

rockinforJesus likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice