Recently got this guitar, help identifying?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by stratg5, Apr 22, 2019.

1. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    This is mine...different color, same year.

I’ve had mine for 6 years and it’s one of my favorites. The Bigsby works fine for me though the break angle over the bridge is a little shallow it hasn’t caused me any problems. I replaced the bridge with a Tru-Arc Serpentune bridge that I love.
    Original tuners have been solid.
    Surprisingly, I still have the stock pickups. They are really not great but I have gigged with it many times and gotten compliments on tone from players.
    Looks like you got a steal. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine!

Attached Files:

DannyB, Merc, mrfixitmi and 1 other person like this.
  2. stratg5

stratg5 Electromatic

Apr 18, 2019
    columbus, ohio
    That thing looks awesome with the white!!

3. stratg5

stratg5 Electromatic

Apr 18, 2019
    columbus, ohio
    I think I’m gonna start with some pots and cap since those are cheap, and then see what else from there. Maybe pick guard next since the gretsch logo is wearing off although I like the pearly look. Maybe will try to remove the rest of the logo and keep it pearly. Probably new humbuckers after that. I’ll post as I go

blueruins likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Nice guitar , enjoy

stratg5 likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    1555968021995-835117009.jpg Right on!

stratg5 and blueruins like this.
  6. Calvin Lee 2

Calvin Lee 2 Electromatic

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    Sweet guitar! Welcome to Gretsch Talk, friend; it's the nicest place on the internet, and we're happy to have you here.

Just out of curiosity, what acoustic did you trade for it?

Also, this is a super unpopular opinion, but I really like the mini-Gretschbuckers. They are awesome pickups; they're just really terrible for the kind of music/tones that pro-line gretsches are really great for. If you're playing clean rockabilly or surf, they don't work very well at all; but if you're playing super fuzzy, overdriven garage-rock, they're awesome pickups. But whether you swap 'em out or not, you've still got a very cool guitar on your hands.

blueruins and stratg5 like this.
  7. stratg5

stratg5 Electromatic

Apr 18, 2019
    columbus, ohio
    Thanks for the welcome!! I traded my Taylor big baby acoustic. I thought i was trading down but it seems like it was an even trade, possibly a slight step up so that’s nice. I’ve noticed the same, that they sound very dirty with drive which I kind of like considering I have kind of custom strat I play for clean stuff.

8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I do want that, i still reach for it! Is it hollow there for sure?

9. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    The pickup rout on this early type of Projet is the same as for a P90 soapbar pickup. I replaced the Gretsch minihumbuckers on mine with a Bareknuckle P90 at the neck and a TV Jones soapbar-sized Filtertron at the bridge.
    Gretsch PRO JET.png

DannyB, Merc and Hammerhead like this.
  10. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Absolutely.
    We opened the back (where the pots controls are) and sticked a long piece of iron (one of those my guitar man uses to fix stuff inside hollow bodies from f-holes) and checked, the carving was just under the master volume position.
    In the beginning he tought he had to cut the back for a new socket (like in regular Jets) but when I went to his shop to collect the work done, he told me he did the mod without the extra socket.

11. Calvin Lee 2

Calvin Lee 2 Electromatic

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    You're very welcome! It's always nice to see new members on the site, sharing guitar pictures and what-not, so the pleasure is all ours.

It sounds like a fair trade to me, especially since you have so many modding options with the Jet; I mean, I would definitely make that trade in a heartbeat.

Oh, also... SHOW US YOUR STRAT!!!

If you mention that you own a custom strat, you've gotta post some pictures for us so we can check it out. There's no such thing as too much guitar p0rn; at least not here. I'm sure everyone who read your comment would love some info/pics of your strat; it's not just about Gretsch guitars here, we love all kinds of cool guitars, and strats are certainly no exception.

And just an FYI, there's an "other cool guitars" section of the forum where you can post about any non-Gretsch guitars you'd like. We love all kinds of different guitars here, and love to see people's collections. (Some of the people here have absolutely incredible collections; check 'em out, and don't be afraid to share yours!)

DannyB, stratg5 and Jena like this.
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, stratg5 !
    welcome mat 111.jpg

Calvin Lee 2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice