Re-Tolexing

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by hcsterg, Mar 30, 2020.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Work is on progress... o_O

View of the 8" "Mini EVM12L-like" speaker :

[​IMG]

Baffle preparation :

[​IMG]

Finally adding some 4-stripes dark green leftover fancyness :

[​IMG]

Next step : grillclothing and installing the baffle. And of course : touch-ups and cleaning... :oops:

Wait and See ! ;)

A+!

Dave-B, Bertotti, j.s.c and 4 others like this.
  2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    British Racing Green, nice touch.

j.s.c likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks @pmac11 - Yes, I think that this leftover green is British Racing Green. I don't remember... :oops:

A+!

pmac11 likes this.
  4. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    The talent on this forum keeps on amazing me. Wonderful job!

hcsterg likes this.
  5. 64ChevSS

64ChevSS Gretschie

Dec 24, 2016
    Innisfil, Ontario
    Thank you for the tutorial Hcstreg - that looks great. I have to get one of my old Traynors done this spring.

hcsterg and pmac11 like this.
  6. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

You are a master!

It all looks so easy...... but it's not.

hcsterg likes this.
  7. Berington

Berington Electromatic

Jan 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Beautiful job! I have an early Fender Rumble 100 bass amp - really a great amp as it goes, but it's covered in black carpet, long before they went to Tolex! It looks awful, and not very professional, either. Getting a little raggedy, and picks up everything from cat fur to grass and dirt when going outside to shows... pretty funky. I'd LOVE to recover it. What adhesive did you use for this? Would a 3M spray adhesive work for it?

hcsterg likes this.
  8. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    Wow this thread is so relevant as I have built a 1x10 + 1x8 cab and next job is tolex!
    My lovely wife has already done the grill cloth.

Attached Files:

new6659, hcsterg and Bertotti like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That is how I do it as well then the internal blocking I put over the tolex or cloth edge. I have used the 3m super77or 88 I can't remember the number contact cement, rubber cement, some environmentally safe contact cement, and wood glue. I did notice with wood glue I needed to be a bit more precise on my corner work cutting, the contact cement seemed to soften the tolex a bit so a small error could be hidden with a very minimal stretch, but to much pull and you lose the textured look.

For those of you who want to remove the old covering, be careful and go slow. I just pulled some loose once and it took chunks of wood with it. Get it started and cut it away with a razor blade or sharp scraper, I think heat helps sometimes but not all the time. I do not use chemicals to loosen old glue. I have been bathed in enough carcinogenic chemicals that I stay as far away as possible from strippers. Both types before someone throws out the wisecrack.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    new6659 and Groutsch like this.
  10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thank you Guys ! :)

I use the tube-town.net SG-5 glue : https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/tolex-glue-sg5-500-ml.html

Yes, some people use spray glue, that's true - Well, I'm not too confident with that, fearing that it would be more or less uncontrollable when spraying... But it's me, OK ? :D

I wonder if member @markeebee did not used it on some cabs he covered ? o_O

Fine ! :cool::cool::cool:

Since your cab is rectangular, it will be quite easy : side by side or wraparound, no matter. A wraparound bi-colorism is no problem. Here is an example :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You only have two horizontal seams. When glued in place, you manage all right to have a recovering, you trace the seam, remove the excess Tolex, and the seam will be just perfect :

[​IMG]

If you don't want to hassle with angles, use metal corners... Like I often do. Moreover it's protective... ;)

Good luck ! :)

A+!

michelb and Bertotti like this.
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Continuation : grillcloth-ing...

[​IMG]

Wait and See... ;)

A+!

Dave-B, michelb and Bertotti like this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    End of the job : pictures outside...

[​IMG]

And...

Alanqa, Dave-B, michelb and 3 others like this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    ... And pictures at home :

[​IMG]

Size comparison : cab options and vs. a SF PR...

[​IMG]

This amp is not lightweight despite its compact size : 15.6kg ! :eek: That is to say the weight of the SF PR here :confused:... But power output is twice :cool: : 25W RMS clean tone (at onset of clipping, sine wave 440Hz, 8R).

End of the story. :)

A+!

Alanqa, Outlaw, Dave-B and 5 others like this.
  14. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Awesome job :eek: if you ever feel like sharing a video on how she sounds

Alanqa and hcsterg like this.
  15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks @michelb ! ;)

I'll try to record some samples ASAP...

A+!

michelb likes this.
  16. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Well done!!
    The only tolex work I’ve ever done was converting the solid closed back of my 2x12 cabinet to semi-open back. I cut an appropriately sized piece of plywood into thirds (lengthwise) and covered it with matching black tolex. I used 3M spray contact cement. I saved and covered the middle section in case I or the next owner wants a closed back cab. It wasn’t a very technical job but I gained plenty of respect for the pros.

The technical side of the conversion was the false speaker baffle I covered with cane grill cloth to match my Egnater Tweaker 15 head. Cane grill cloth is tricky to stretch and attach evenly and securely! I even matched the Tweaker’s gold piping around the edges of the baffle. I can post photos if anyone is interested.

michelb and hcsterg like this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Sure @capnhiho ! It's always interesting to see... :cool:

I never worked with wicker cane, but I would use a painter's plier and an electric stapler too... Adroitely... o_O

A+!

18. Dave-B

Dave-B Country Gent

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Wonderful craftsmanship, as always.

hcsterg likes this.
  19. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    Here’s mine. My wife and I had a fun day cutting and gluing the vinyl on. Unfortunately the vinyl is very soft and stretchy. I should have gone for upholstery fabric rather than kids space-man suit material. Next time I’ll know.

The back panels are in burgundy tolex and the speaker cloth is also burgundy. The cab ‘tolex’ is silver and I got a name plate made online.

Behold “Wobblybob” mk 1

Attached Files:

hcsterg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice