[(RE)BUILD] The Werewolf...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by araT, Aug 9, 2010.

1. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I've had this idea plonking around in my head since I got this guitar... I was given it for helping recover a stolen vintage Fender amp, and I'm neither a strat fan, nor a burst fan.. That said, when I close my eyes this is one of the nicest feeling guitars I've held in a while.. it doesn't sound good plugged in, it doesn't look good, but it plays like a dream..

Well, one outta three ain't bad, right? and I can fix those other two.. :cool:

Here's the victim: a KHL Wolf WST-Mini

[​IMG]

I'm planning to turn it into a vintagey sort of rock n' roll beast, and taking inspiration from Pop's recent tung oil experimenting I'm going to go for a thin, matte tung oil finish, possibly with just a little bit of stain to really bring out the grain.. I'm thinking of going the old 'Tuxedo' look with black pickups/knobs/switch in a white guard.

I'm also planning to come up with a custom decal for it, but that's proving the hardest part - the temporary name for now is "Werewolf" only because the guitar was originally branded "Wolf".. I'm not sure if I want to stick with it , or come up with something more... me. Anyone got any suggestions?

Here are the planned parts

Machine heads: Gotoh SGM-05Cs with 1:16 ratio.
    http://luthierssupplies.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=934

Pickups: GFS Premium Vintage Set (and black covers)
    http://guitarfetish.com/Premium-Alnico-Strat-Pickups-Our-Best-Vintage-Set_p_616.html
    (If anyone has any better suggestions, let me know, the budget is ~$100 for a set of 3)

Input Jack: Switchcraft 1/4" Mono Jack
    Switch: Gotoh 5-Way Strat Switch
    Pots: Gotoh mini-pot 250k
    Cap: Orange Drop 0.047mf

I'll be cutting a bone nut for it, too.

I'm also planning to replace the white pearloid inlays with paua abalone ones:
    [​IMG]

I want to be sure I'm happy with how it ends up looking before I start throwing money at making it sound good, so I'll be starting with the refinish & decal, and then I'll get onto the electronics... This won't be a fast project, it'll probably span the next month or so as I find free time, but I promise to update every step of the way with loads of pics. I think this thing could end up to be a really cool little "sleeper"

Here it is getting prepped for surgery:

[​IMG]

2. mikante

mikante Country Gent

Aug 11, 2009
    italy
    good luck for your project, let's see if the wolf can be turned into the beauty.

3. Cool ambition, Tara. I just got a black MIM strat and have ordered some pickups from Harmonic Design, but they are pricier. Keep us posted on the werewolf.

4. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    Have fun! I, too, am not a burst fan. I cannot quite put my finger on why, but it simply has never appealed to me.

5. budman1950

budman1950 Electromatic

Feb 3, 2010
    Dayton, OH
    Take a look at the GFS Neovins. I put a set in a strat-like guitar I built and they're totally silent in all positions. They don't sound bad either. ;-)

6. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    That made me laugh.

I was surprised to learn how noise single's can be. My strat clone was making all sorts of noise at the music shop (over head lights), but dead quiet at home.

7. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I've been on Kisekae making mock ups :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I never thought I'd say it.. but I think I'm liking white/white best.. opinions?

8. me too

my Strat's the finest feeling guitar I've ever played. Was also the hardest for me to play until I adapted (used to resting the heel of my picking hand on Gibson bridges).

Rock and Roll beast...I see it's routed for a humbucker

not familiar with those tuning machines but I can tell you the Fender/Schaller lockers are extreemely nice, are $65-70 over here

9. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    The contrast of the black/white is attractive.

10. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Yeah, I don't know why, I just don't dig em..

Thanks! I'll check em out! :) glad to hear the GFSs get some love.

Gotohs are just fine, I've used them quite a few times on client's guitars over the years... they're nearly as good as the Schallers.. I have a nice set of Schaller lockers on my black Ibanez that cost me $120, but I'm really not looking to put THAT much money into this guitar..

Yeah, I'm just not sure if it's TOO busy with the 3 different woods that will be visible..

Ideally I'd love to do all brushed metal hardware (and pickguard) with it, but that would end up adding too much to the costs for now - maybe later if the white or black starts to nag me :)

11. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    Have you considered Pale Yellow/TV Yellow for a body color? It goes very well with white pick guards.

12. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I sort of really want to do a no-finish finish similar to my Ibanez SB70 but not as dark.. I'm thinking a thin application of Tung Oil will do the trick... maybe with just a little more tint to bring out the grain...

Besides, I don't have the equipment or space to do a proper spray job these days, so I'd need to outsource that & that means more money..

Here's a good idea of how it should look:

[​IMG]

13. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

This will be a fun project, Tara! I'll be anxious to see the progress. How about an "araT" logo and then a name for the beast. If you don't have access to someone to make a waterslide transfer let me know.

14. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    LOL not something like this? its just the bridge Pup hot-rodded with a single volume.

[​IMG]

15. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Bwahahahaha! NO!

I've already got a nice H-S-S setup in the Ibanez SA-160, and a bunch of other pickup arrangements in other guitars, but this is my one & only S-S-S, I plan to keep it stratty, who knows - I might actually like it! :)

16. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    ohhh no. This is EVH man, simple circuit. its just a bridge pickup w/ volume. lol. the other PUPs were just for aesthetics.

17. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Oh, right! Insane :)

I don't spend a lot of time on the bridge, but I wouldn't mind (eventually) doing something similar with a more central, or neck humbucker..

18. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I've sanded off the headstock & I plan to make a break on the body later this afternoon, the Tung Oil is on order, and I'm still wracking my brain for inspitation for name/theme/decal ideas..

I'll upload some pics when I have a few together after some more sanding later on :)

19. yeah, I agree. the white on white does look better. why not call it the "Lone" Wolf. there won't be another like it.

20. Tara I hope I didn't sound too matter of fact and know it all-ey.

I'd had a longer more personal sounding post detailing why I can relate to the feel of a Strat (including the initial difficulties I had playing it and my resolutions) and that I think you've got an excellent thing going, when I goofed and lost the response. I then too huridly re-cranked out some of the highlights.

Also meant to ask how you pop out the old board inlays?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice