Random threads with numbers or Chinese in titles?

Discussion in 'Forum Issues, Problems, & Concerns' started by mschafft, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Moderators should remove those threads mentioned in subject line.
    www.gretsch-talk.com

2. Alianco

Alianco Electromatic

Feb 25, 2017
    Somewhere in France
    It's not just me then? I thought it was my computer throwing a wobbly until I noticed further down the threads were the the real ones. seems to have started about an hour ago.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I thought I clicked on the wrong thing for a second there.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Good morning , it's 3:30 am here in NY and I believe that G-T is based out of Texas ..... I'm sure the Moderators will clear this up as soon as they get to work today . I myself have seen this a few times but it seems it's happening more frequent ..... be patient , the Mods always pull through

T Bone, vyndance and russmack like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ..... see you guys later today

russmack likes this.
  6. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

Whenever I come across one, I hit the report button to let the moderator know they are here. It is getting a bit ridiculous though, this is at least the third mass hit in the past week. Ugh!

7. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
    Yes I do exactly the same, report button and then wait on the moderators fixing the problem posts.

Flouswa likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Asian Spam clones, or posing as such...

Ignore or Report, but don’t reply.

thunder58 likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's what the ignore function is for as well. Funny how clean things get when I do that. But only after notifying the moderators of this vermin.

mschafft likes this.
  10. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

We probably only see a very small portion of the spam. These attacks are common on forums, and are deleted/banned all the time. The busier the forum, the more the spam. The Mods do a great (often thankless) job. Thanks Moderators and Admins, you are appreciated!

11. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Haven’t been on in awhile. Was out of town all last week. Took the youth group to Falls Creek church camp. Got on last night and thought the apocalypse had hit Gretsch Talk. I was too afraid to even log in lol.

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don’t like to hit ‘ignore’ because it reduces the feed to like 5 legit posts, at least on other forums. Meh, I’ll deal with the spam.

13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    We have been inundated with spam lately. First off; thanks to everyone whom sends reports. I can’t possible monitor everything, you folks are my eyes and ears. When you send a report, I get an email, with a link to your report and the report has a link to the content. Once I verify that it’s spam, I can clean it up quickly.

Please do not reply to these threads, just hit report and that’s all you need to do. Use “spam” as the reason for your report and I’ll take it from there. Like everyone else, I eat, sleep and hold a full-time job, so it’s not unusual for it to take some time before I can respond. Of late, quashing spam has been the first task in my day, even before the morning miracle of changing last night’s Bailey’s Irish Creme into something akin to water. : )

Thanks again, chaps,

Flouswa, Bertotti, section2 and 9 others like this.
  14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you Mark, for all the hard work you do to keep this forum the best there is.

15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I try. I don’t know what the big attraction is for spam-bots, of late, but we’ve sure had them. I woke up to 22 reports, this morning.

MTurner and thunder58 like this.
  16. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'm not quite sure what the goal of the spam is. I assume it's hoping people will click on a link and get nasty stuff on their computer but targeting an English language site with Asian language material doesn't seem very effective or lucrative. I can understand the Nigerian prince thing somewhat since the perceived chance to make millions can override any common sense, and apparently it's made lots of money, but this low reward effort seems a waste, even with low cost computer bots.

section2 likes this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I don’t get it either, except to remind everyone that the people behind these schemes tend to not be the upper-crust. They may be trying to lure you to clock on a link which installs malware, or perhaps they are profiting by directing people to sites which pay a bounty to anyone whom refers traffic to them.

18. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Each one seemed to have many views, which is curious and I've wondered if it's us, guests or what ever is generating them in the first place

thunder58 likes this.
  19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    They are created by robot programs. As soon as I see one, that’s account is banned an checked for common IP addresss between it and other accounts.

mbkri, section2, T Bone and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.