Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Rancher G5022CE - broken tuner

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by JhnyGuitar63, Jul 10, 2018.

1. JhnyGuitar63

JhnyGuitar63 Electromatic

Aug 14, 2010
    Florida
    So the good news is my son is showing a sudden and intense interest in my guitars. The bad news is he dropped my Rancher on the terrazzo floor and the handle of the G tuner (the part you turn) snapped right off at the stem. Any ideas on where to get a replacement tuner?

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Go to the specs on your guitar on the Gretsch website. Find the type of tuners than google for a button for it or go straight to stew mac and look. Good Luck!

JhnyGuitar63 likes this.
  3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The bad news is, if the actual shaft snapped, you'll have to replace the tuner, not just the button. The worse news is, most tuners are sold in sets of six, so you'll probably have to purchase a whole set. Unless you have a qualified tech you can take it to, in which case they can probably replace the single tuner. However, the money you save will be offset by the labor cost.

Tough choice.

JhnyGuitar63 likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Are they Grovers? https://www.allparts.com/groverI looked it up on Gretsch but all it says is premium die cast tuners. No clue what they are but maybe a good time to upgrade them.

JhnyGuitar63 likes this.
  5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, JhnyGuitar63!
    Florida welcome mat.jpg

JhnyGuitar63 likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Welcome. You could just keep some pliers handy . . . .

JhnyGuitar63 likes this.
  7. Limuz

Limuz Electromatic

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    JhnyGuitar63 likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome friend

JhnyGuitar63 likes this.
  9. JhnyGuitar63

Aug 14, 2010
    Florida
    Thank you all--very helpful replies. You're right, Bertotti--the specs page wasn't much help. There is a Gretsch authorized service shop in town (and it is not one of the big chains), so I think I'll just run it by there to see what they recommend. Definitely do NOT want to have to drill new holes.

10. JhnyGuitar63

Aug 14, 2010
    Florida
    Limuz likes this.
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    lemme see it, I'll tell you. Its so easy to buy pop in replacements that are actually an improvement.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Limuz

Limuz Electromatic

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    If the current tuners are Grovers, there should be a replacement. A few pictures of your tuners should definitely help.

13. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    My G5024E has proprietary Gretsch pickups... could be Grovers but they are not marked. You may have trouble finding the exact match depending on the age of the guitar. Mine happen to be gold finish. Worst case scenario is you may have to buy a complete set to get them to match. A good set of sealed Grovers can be had from Amazon in the 40-50 dollar range.

14. JhnyGuitar63

Aug 14, 2010
    Florida
    Sorry for the delay. Here are photos of the front and back of the broken tuner. [​IMG] [​IMG]

37174843_10211389628208179_799814977434157056_n.jpg 37093706_10211389628768193_8260226204842328064_n.jpg

15. Limuz

Limuz Electromatic

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    JhnyGuitar63 likes this.
  16. T Bone

T Bone Synchromatic

No expert here, but I had a quick search of Stew Mac for Grover replacements. Those look very much like the Rotomatic 102 series. That page has a drawing with complete dimensions. That should allow you to determine if they are direct drop in replacements.

They are Grover branded, yours are not. So you may want to change all 6. A full set sells for fifty to fifty five dollars, is available in nickle or chrome, and either 14:1 or 18:1 ratios. Here is a link of you want to have a look, best of luck.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...PT-5-MJgt8OHtKai-p3MzvzEIegv412kaAmz4EALw_wcB

JhnyGuitar63 likes this.
  17. Limuz

Limuz Electromatic

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Unfortunately, these won't be drop-in considering the different angle of the screw hole. Mini-Rotomatics do have the correct angle.

JhnyGuitar63 likes this.
  18. JhnyGuitar63

Aug 14, 2010
    Florida
    Thanks all. I guess the key dimension is the size of the post that goes through the headstock, which in the case of the Rotomatic 102s cited above, would be .390 inches (9.91 mm). So before I order, I should probably pull the broken tuner and try to get an accurate measure the width of that hole, right?

19. T Bone

T Bone Synchromatic

Unsure what you mean by the angle of the screw. If you are referring to the location of the screw hole in the retaining tab to the tuning peg or knob, these are at a right angle down (ie: 6:00), as are those on this guitar. The mini's I have found online are not, being offset to about 8:00 for the treble side, and 4:00 for the bass side.

Again, not claiming these will fit, just showing an example. Further investigation by the OP is needed before ordering.

I suggest verifying ALL available dimensions and angles before ordering anything. Multiple sources could also be checked. Stew Mac or other suppliers may be helpful with this. Also maybe contact Gretsch (or even Fender?) Customer Service. They may be able to give you specific part/model numbers, might even be able to hook you up with a single tuner.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    JhnyGuitar63 and Limuz like this.
  20. Limuz

Limuz Electromatic

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Yeah, I was wrong here. Was looking at my own guitar at the time of writing my post, I got the tuners all mixed up. Mine has the ones offset to about 4:00. My bad!

JhnyGuitar63 and T Bone like this.