Quick solution for neck dive?

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by SimonTheImpaler, Apr 23, 2019.

1. SimonTheImpaler

SimonTheImpaler Electromatic

Jan 16, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    Not even sure of a permanent solution for this, but here is the first thing that was to hand when I first played my 2655 standing up. Should have tested in the shop first!
    This handy add-on is a Fisco 5m (16') Class I tape measure. Still a small amount of dive so an 8m (26') version would probably be perfect. Matching colour was purely coincidence...
    PS Having a couple of inches sticking (Ooooh, Matron!) out doesn't help with anything, just for show ;-)
    Anti-Dive.jpg

j.s.c, RomanS and drmilktruck like this.
  2. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I have a G5445 and the neck dives like crazy. Someone here solved the problem by moving the location for the "neck" strap knob. I'd have to search for the post.

I'm going to buy a leather strap - with an unfinished side on the bottom of it - to see how much that will help before drilling a new hole in the guitar. I really want to keep it stock.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    When Les Paul fractured his arm/elbow, he weighted his guitar.

The rough out leather ought to work.

Considering your avatar name, dry wall screws or nails might help.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Pop1655 likes this.
  4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Moving the front strap button to the neck heel is probably the most reliable way but unfortunately involves drilling a new hole through the finish in a fairly important part of the guitar. Moving the back strap button up will help some too IME, but entails another new hole.

Without drilling holes, using a long/tall strap lock solution (and/or placing some spacers between the front button and the body w/ a longer screw) will get you a little better balance point too.

Filling a baloon w/ ballast (fishing sinkers or wheel balancing weights are the first things that come to my mind) and stuffing it into the bottom corner of the guitar is another thing that can shift your balance point.

A wide suede backed strap can help w/ it not shifting on your shoulder, but can also be annoying if the balance point is still off since it will pull at your shirt all the time (or it is for me anyway).

Yukimajo likes this.
  5. Pop1655

Pop1655 Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    I use an Italia suede backed with no issues.

audept likes this.
  6. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I tried several unsuccessful ways to help a neck diver, and this was the final solution: a strap from https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories

I've been so happy with his straps, I think I have 4 of them now. But have to admit, your tape measure is very clever :)

7. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Neck Dive, you say? Hanging one of these off the rear strap button ought to fix it...:D:p

[​IMG]

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Or this device, called in French gueuse en fonte :

[​IMG]
    More seriously : the upper button's position may be the culprit ? I dispaced mine à la Gibson ES335 on my G5622TLH to solve a great (and unbearable to me) problem of imbalance :

[​IMG]

A+!

9. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I knew there was a reason Gretsches have Bigsby's!

10. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    [​IMG]
    Here you're moving it 'down' at the front. Do you think moving it 'up' at the back would have the same result?

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Sorry, benjwri - I don't understand what you mean here o_O:oops:... I moved the button from the shoulder to the neck heel, like it is done on an ES335 :

[​IMG]

This corrected imbalance and neck dive, and improved comfort and stability... Like on a gibson ES335 !

A+!

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I shifted weight back a good bit swapping the B50 for a B3 and adding a set of steel tailpiece bushings and a Towner bar and used a 2" suede strap, but pretty much just moving the front strap button to the heel alone made my 5655 playable standing for me:
    [​IMG]
    Another thing that can help a bit is lighter tuners. I used a combo of swapping the original tuners for Hipshot ultralight machines and adding a button to the lower bout ~ 1" further from the ground to get my Guild B-301 hanging like I wanted it, no special shirt tugging strap required.

j.s.c likes this.
  13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Depends on your instrument, but I'd expect moving the front button to the back of the upper horn to accentuate the imbalance rather than make it better in most cases since you're actually moving the front point of support further towards the wrong end of the instrument.

14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Neck dive is the result of a bad design. Moving the bass strap button is the best solution, but the wide leather non slip strap works for lesser cases.

15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep! The 4" wide versions work great for me on my neck-heavy doublecut Jets and Penguins.

16. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I can also attest to the moving of the strap pin to behind the heel. I haven't done it on a Gretsch, but I did do it on my Thunderbird bass and it sorted that out!

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    A wireless-pack did the same job on my friend`s guitar.

18. SimonTheImpaler

SimonTheImpaler Electromatic

Jan 16, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    Eh, the strap button is already on the neck heel on the G2655. It's the smaller body that's causing the imbalance...

19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You need a lead Bigsby.

SimonTheImpaler likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice