Questions for G6609x Broadkaster/other double cut center block owners

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by BobL, May 15, 2018.

1. BobL

BobL Electromatic

May 14, 2018
    Laramie, WY
    Hi-

First post...

I own a few guitars, gig quite a bit, record, etc. in a few different original bands.

My main two recently, for my alt country/rock band and my old school country band are, respectively, a '58 reissue Gibson ES-335 with Lollartrons, and a G6120-1959LTV.

Both nice instruments, but recently I have found I much prefer the sound of the Gretsch in the rock band. However, the fret access is problematic, and the body size isn't my favorite for the different style of playing.

So, I have been looking at the newer center block Gretsch guitars - namely the Broadkaster G6609TG, and wondering if (likely with a pickup switch to TV Jones Classics) those models might be a better fit for me than the 335.

Curious if Broadkaster owners might have some insight - it is hard for me to play any of these since I live in Wyoming.

Curious if the laminate used is as thin as that on the 6120, and how resonant these guitars are when compared to a 335. How much difference the chambered spruce vs maple is making, and how much big body sound is retained.

Seems the newer DC center block falcon has the same construction, as does the 6620.

Also curious if anyone has experience with both these direct bridge mount center block guitars vs recent models that retain the floating bridge.

Thanks in advance!

2. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, BobL! I would suggest you consider the Panther as another alternative candidate.
    welcome-rubber-door-mats-250x250.jpeg

Aymara likes this.
  3. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Welcome,

we had a similar discussion lately, where I also recommended a used Panther and the double cut center block Falcon, that was released before the Players Edition model, that now has the same horrible Bigsby with tension bar as the Broadkaster. A few shops still have this nice Falcon, the Panther is already hard to get.

If Broadkaster, then a model without Bigsby and an added Duesenberg Les Trem II ... at least, this would be my choice, if I wouldn't have a Panther already.

4. BobL

BobL Electromatic

May 14, 2018
    Laramie, WY
    Yeah, the Panther checks *so* many boxes... B3 instead of B7, lower output pickups, floating bridge... the only negatives I can come up with, from a purely subjective standpoint, are the rosewood board (ebony board on my 6120 just feels so, so nice) and lack of F-hole binding.

The Caddy green Broadkaster just looks so perfect, though if I could find a red Panther, maybe...

Watching these two vids, the Panther just seems miles ahead in tone. I wonder how much the negatives I hear in the Broadkaster tone are addressed by just swapping in some TV Jones Classics. I've seen some people say they just skip the tension bar on the B7 and go straight to the bridge, but I'm a little hesitant to jump in and hope that sorts everything out tuning wise. The Duesenberg trem just looks wrong to me, no matter how well it works.

5. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The rosewood fretboard and bridge base are part of it's tone in my opinion, because it sounds slightly warmer as it's now also discontinued Falcon brother.

It's also worth mentioning, that the fretboard of my Panther was so extremely dry, when I got it, that it had a slight grey cast and looked very light in color. Oiling it made a huge difference both in looks and feel.

So for me the rosewood is an advantage. But I also miss the f-hole binding, yes.

Regarding the differences to the Broadkaster ... the later seems to have a slightly thinner body and it lacks the bridge base, which results in a different neck angle.

6. BobL

BobL Electromatic

May 14, 2018
    Laramie, WY
    Yep, neck angle and the B7 vs. the B3 Bigsby creating more spots of friction to mess up tuning.

I have some Fret Doctor here, and had the same thought about the rosewood board - that some oil would go a very long way.

7. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    It's worth mentioning, that the snow white binding develops a color cast, when not using colorless oil like the Duesenberg Fingerboard Lotion or those colorless oils for wind instruments. Most fretboard oils are yellow and not recommended here. I learned that the hard way ... thankfully only a small spot.

8. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
  9. BobL

BobL Electromatic

May 14, 2018
    Laramie, WY
    Yeah, I've seen that one... The fretboard looks great, but I'd like a Bigsby, probably red if I could find it, black if not, and the price is very high for used...

10. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yeah, it's right, the price is too high for a modded Panther ... the Bigsby was replaced with a G-tailpiece and the fretboard darkened.

Finding a red one though will be nearly impossible ... too limited and too much Panther lovers already.

But hey ... real Panthers are black ;) ... for me it was out of question to choose a black one, because it's the only one, where the headstock matches the body color.

11. BobL

BobL Electromatic

May 14, 2018
    Laramie, WY
    I wish the CBDC Falcons could be had w/o sparkle bindings. Oh well.

12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Bob!

Panthers are great,i wish i could've bought the one i played a few years ago,but i'm always broke!

13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The black version is / was quite nice with it's silver sparkle binding ... less bling, than white with gold sparkle. It sounds slightly colder as the Panther, but is the most similar model. And with a bit of luck still available.

It's a shame, that the Panther was discontinued, but I guess they were forced to by the new CITES regulations for rosewood. But discontinuing it's Falcon brother and replacing it with the Players Edition was also a huge, if not even worse mistake.

It seems, they want to norm all double cut models to this crappy design for cost reduction :(

PS: I bet sales will tell the truth ... that this was a major mistake. And that they bring back the Panther with an ebony fretboard, which would be a huge success, I bet. But I fear not for long, because it's just a matter of time, until ebony will require a CITES too.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  14. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Here's the black one: