Questions about changing a Tele Pickguard???

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by larryb, Aug 17, 2019.

1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I just ordered a pack of pearloid pickguards to dress up my favorite guitar...

Here is a pic of my '72 Tele Deluxe

deel.jpg

I thought it would be a simple mod; remove knobs, screws...and switcheroo..
    Then I saw this video and now I am wondering about the Copper Shielding tape and it's purpose? Is it a must or this guy just showing off...LOL?

PS: I don't do any work on my guitars, except restringing....so this would be my first "real" mod:oops:

Henry likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It will help with noise, @hcsterg does this to all his guitars, I believe. Should be easy to do and something that won't have any negative effects on your guitar.

hcsterg and larryb like this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks Henry!

4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    It is realy easy: Just glue the foil to the pickuard rearside and ground it. I would even shield the cavities of the guitar with that foil or -alternatively- shielding laquer.
    One of my guitars is still without this little mod and it gets very little playing time because of that.
    So it is is wise to shield an electric guitar. Any kind of background noise is more tameable with that.

larryb likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It's a tin foil helmet for your guitar! It works pretty good for single coil guitars, dunno how important it is with buckers.

Sid Nitzerglobin and larryb like this.
  6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks guys...sticking some tape on seems easy enough

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If the pickups and loom are attached to the pickguard so it all comes out, then you may want to shield the cavity as well.

I think, but am not sure, that it helps with humbuckers as well, as this shields the pickups from ambient electrical pollution/noise.

larryb likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Shielding the pots and wires makes a big difference even with humbuckers.

larryb and Henry like this.
  9. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    This!

Shielding the guts can make a big difference.

larryb likes this.
  10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi larryb,

Yes, Henry is right :cool:: I shield all my solidbody guitars... It's not very complicated and rewarding.

I use aluminium adhesive foil - cheap and perfect : the roll below cost me 10 Euros for 100mm wide and 100 meters long...

[​IMG]

As an example, I changed the pickguard below, and I shielded the cavity and the guard underneath - as usual ;) :

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Sid Nitzerglobin and larryb like this.
  11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks man....WOW...that is a lot of shielding.LOL;)

hcsterg likes this.
  12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    If the cavities don't look like they're about to be launched into space then you're not truly finished ;) I've wound up w/ the practice of soldering a ground lead from the shielding tape to string ground as well, it's easier to accomplish w/ copper tape or brass sheeting than aluminium or shielding paint though.

It's not usually a necessity w/ humbuckers for me, but it certainly shouldn't hurt anything & it'll look cool and feel like you did more :)

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes... :confused:. You notice that the cavity shielding has lips all around to make contact with the pickguard underneath everywhere. Doing this, I try to achieve (as best) a Faraday cage.

You won't protected against magnetic hum fields (i.e. coming from a transformer - I recently made the bad experience with my Serial Tone Killer amp project :mad:) but it will be the final weapon against electric hum fields (i.e. coming from neon lights, light dimmers, that are often found on stage, etc...) if the Faraday cage is closed at best though.

A+!

new6659 likes this.
  14. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks...you all have convinced me of the importance of cavity and pickguard shielding....

I am taking all your advice very seriously;)

cop.jpg

rockinforJesus and Scooter127 like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Shielding is hugely important, especially with single coil guitars. For as cheaply built as Dano guitars were, they had the best shielding I've ever seen in a guitar.

larryb likes this.
  16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes - particularly the lipstick pickups that are completely encased, so ideally shielded...

A+!

17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks ! ;) But OK : I must confess that I'm "a bit obsessed by hum fight", if I can say so... :D

A+!

larryb likes this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It goes far beyond the pickups. The guitars are wired with braided coax, and the control section is encased in a copper foil box.

19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Stupid question? If shielding is so important, why isn't every guitar foiled at the factory???:confused:

Henry likes this.
  20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My guess is same reason most guitars aren't set up well, many use inferior pots, etc.: Customers don't want to pay for it.

larryb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice