Question: Current MIJ Prolines versus Early Prolines

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Tricone, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Tricone

Tricone Synchromatic

Feb 9, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Was curious what you all thought in terms of "quality" regarding Proline models made currently versus guitars made in, say, the mid-2000's at the Terada factory. I realize that the same model guitar do vary within any given year, but as a general trend, would you say that the current production Prolines even more consistent in terms of quality than in 2004? Or is that impossible to make such a statement?

P.S. - Yes, I am looking at a 2004 Jet :D

2. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    The only issue I've had with my 2004 6120-60 is the first fret developed a nick at B string. I don't think that was a testament of the quality more so than it was a testament of my heavy handedness. It feels no less of a guitar compared to my 2009 Duo Jet. In my humble opinion, they are good to go.

Tricone likes this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I don't know that quality is much of an issue, but pre-FMIC Gretsch guitars are not always spec'd the same as FMIC era guitars.

4. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    IIRC, a 2004 Duo Jet would have been made after Fender took over. Anything made by Terada (or Fujigen for that matter) is likely to be made top quality. Probably the biggest difference between a 2004 and a current Jet is that the 2004 is likely to be less chambered and therefore heavier. Pickups may be different as well as this is in the early days of the Fender period.

audept and Tricone like this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have 03, 06 and 13 prolines. They were all built very well but all different Gretsches of course. Can't say the 13 is built ant better.

6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Terada makes consistently great Gretches.

7. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Don't you think, that over 10 years of factory experience with the same brand should have a positive influence regarding quality consistency?

8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I have an 05 from FujiGen and Terada guitars from 06 and a 2010. All built to an excellent standard with beautiful materials. There is a difference between the specs of my FujiGen Annie and its contemporaries built at the Terada factory, but the quality of build is neither better nor worse as far as I can tell.

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Hadda '98 6120 it was killer

10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    There's only so much quality you can squeeze into one guitar. The current proline crop is the top of the game, with TV Jones, Truarc bridges and so on. There's nothing left to upgrade. My 2015 Sparkle Jet is faultless.

Aymara likes this.
  11. MRey

MRey Electromatic

Feb 7, 2011
    IL
    I have a 2004 Terada built Gretsch, can’t say it’s any better or worse than the one I have from 2013.

12. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Tell that to Gibson after 40 years in Nashville.

Roger49 and Robbie like this.
  13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    It has a reason, that Gibson is famous for quality assurance issues ;) ... and Fender moved the Gretsch Proline production to Japan.

14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I this a thinly veiled insult to American craftsmen?

15. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Any production line "craftsmen" are only ever good as management will allow them to be.

hogrider16 likes this.
  16. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    That's a good point and a further good example is the new Milwaukee Eight engine by Harley-Davidson ... it's "Tourer oil transfer problem" and the still missing solution is so strange, that I said in a German Harley forum: "No American engineer so stupid, that he can't solve this in more than 12 months. This is a management problem."

17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Gretsch Pro Lines have been made in Japan since Fred first got the brand going again. They use several factories, all good, IMO. My 6120 DC is Dyna Gakki, and beautifully made. While I agree that years of experience building a line of guitars can help, these factories have been building fine guitars for some time now, so the Gretsch line may differ in details, pickups, etc. but I doubt that there was much ramp-up at any of these factories.

Aymara likes this.
  18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Very true.
    It’s almost always a management problem. Most people want to work, but senseless policies and the lust to wield power make many managers counter productive.

19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I have 2 ProLines,

A 1991 Terada-made G400 :

[​IMG]

A 2008 Terada-made G6119LH :

[​IMG]

The construction and craftmanship's quality is the same.

A+!

20. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    HD has a history of trying to ignore problems and hope they go away. Admitting there's a problem will lead to a million warranty claims.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice