Question about ukulele model

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by comma, Aug 7, 2019.

1. comma

comma Newbie

Aug 2, 2019
    US
    Hey guys! New to Gretsch. I have a Jimy Dandy but looking to get a roots uke.
    Every vintage Gretsch uke I have seen has the pegs in the back, and all of their roots versions have them on the sides. Why is this? I thought the roots series was supposed to copy vintage models.

I did see this product shot on Amazon, but contacted the sellers and they said the ones they have are with the tuners on the side.

Does this uke exist or is this just a weirdly edited stock image?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I can't answer your question, but I can welcome you to Gretsch - Talk!

3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome friend . Can't help ya either , but someone will be here soon to help ya :)

4. comma

comma Newbie

Aug 2, 2019
    US
    Thanks for the welcomes guys!

MTurner likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Rear mounted tuners are traditional. Originally they were friction fit---no gearing. Similar to violin tuners, they often slipped. The rear mount banjo style tuners came afterwards. Later side mounted units were taken from guitars.

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have a 100 year old uke with friction tuners, it is a beautiful instrument but trust me, you don't want friction tuners.

8. comma

comma Newbie

Aug 2, 2019
    US
    Thanks guys, but I'm still curious, does gretsch make the ukulele pictured in my original post with the rear mounted tuners?

9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The 9100 and 9110(in the pic) have banjo tuners, the 9120 has side “guitar” tuners unless they changed specs...

10. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Not much help here, I’m afraid.
    Maybe they changed during a model year. You can see the same sort of changes in other maker’s lines.

If you can’t get one like this — it probably doesn’t matter much. The advice about slipping friction tuners is golden.

Still trying to figure out what a “roots” uke is.
    Beyond one of those grating “pop” terms like “old school.”

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  11. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Completely agree with the friction tuners. They're bad enough in a uke with four strings, but I want to die every time I need to tune my 12-string bandurria (which I can hardly play at all, by the way):

Bandurria.jpg

Funny, I had never realised almost all ukeleles you see nowadays have side tuners. Mine -a very cheap one made by Hora in Romania- has rear mechanical tuners.

new6659 likes this.
  12. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I found this:

[​IMG]

It looks like smaller models (soprano and concert) have rear tuners, while bigger ones (tenor) have side tuners. All of them are mechanical (screw) ones, not friction.

I'd never thought of this sort of differences in terms of size, but with bowed istruments, smaller ones (violin, viola and, er, cello) have friction tuners, while double basses have mechanical tuners.

Will it be because the higher the tension, the more secure the tuning system must be? Mechanical tuners are certainly better than friction ones as to stability and ease of tuning is concerned; as for rear vs. side tuners, I don't know whether they are significantly different, but I have the impression that rear tuners evolved towards side ones, so maybe that's an improvement, too.

Edited to add: in case someone wants to see a bigger version of the photo (the forum has automatically chosen the shown size), it's here: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/65/9c/49/659c49bf7a5fcb1e499d8c56cd878fc5.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice