Question about the bridge on a falcon

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Monty_piglit, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Monty_piglit

Monty_piglit Electromatic

Oct 9, 2019
    Leicestershire
    As you may have seen, I went and bought a g6136t LDS :)

I've now had some time to play with it and I've noticed something...

The bottom E and A string don't seem to fit in the bridge( I get some wobbly sound when playing those strings at the bottom of the fret board).

I noticed the strings don't sit in the bridge correctly.

So question 1 is what is the standard strings for a falcon like this?

Should I use a nut file to cut a smaller ridge?

2. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Not quite sure what "don't sit in the bridge correctly" means exactly. On my LDS, I had the high E popping out sometimes when finger picking. It helped to reverse the saddle just for that string (so you could try that too). But in the end, I ordered a Tru Arc made specifically for the Melita base. This was more to avoid my palm resting on the screws, but it also solved the string problem.

3. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Standard strings I think are 11-49. I put 11-52 on mine. Is it a rocking bar bridge? I haven’t had a problem with mine but I’ve heard of other people having trouble with strings staying in the slots of those bridges

4. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    This Falcon has a Melitta Bridge as far as I know. If it were my Falcon I immediately would exchange that for a True Arc or ABM 2400 for better sound and palm muting comfort. My Red Falcon came with a True Arc and I love it.

audept likes this.
  5. Monty_piglit

Oct 9, 2019
    Leicestershire
    Like the nut has a slot in it for the string so does the bridge (or is it the saddle).

the slot seems too be too wide so the string moves and therefore vibrates in the slot.

I’ll takes some photos later and post them.

6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, give us a picture, and let us know what gauge strings you’re using.

I put a stainless steel Tru-Arc bridge to my falcon. It was a crucial investment.

audept likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Yes, post a quick pic.

8. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    03924AC5-9213-4AD9-A756-D7A21DD888AA.jpeg I’m a fan of the D bridge
    I put one on each of my Gretsch guitars
    The benefits could start a thread of their own E785FB47-095C-431D-95D2-553AAF6B3917.jpeg

BorderRadio, Aymara and audept like this.
  9. Monty_piglit

Oct 9, 2019
    Leicestershire
    bridge.jpg

You can just about make out a gap either side of both the E and the A string. That is what I'm on about.

As for the String Gauges, I don't know. They are the ones that came with it.

How do you adjust the intonation if you are using a Tru-arc bridge?

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    You can't, apart from sliding the whole bridge to change the overall angle. The benefit of the Tru-arc/D-Bridge/Compton is that it's a solid mass of metal, so it won't make any buzz, and adds lots of sustain, and you can choose from a different materials like brass and aluminum.

Melitas get some noise, but it's a great bridge, once you get the low-profile screws. There used to be a guy who catered to the Melita users but he's MIA. I would of got some steel or Micarta saddles from this guy, along with with low-pro screws but I can't even suggest that anymore. I think Billy Zoom (on the other Gretsch forum) still sells those screws. A new set of saddles might be in order, because that string does look sunken down in the groove. You could move up to the next string gauge too.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Monty_piglit likes this.
  11. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    intonation if incorrect drives me nuts.. sharps n flats pass the 12 fret are maddening. Without adjustable saddles all you can do is angle the bridge to a ballpark position. The 25$ GOTOH Tune A Matic,
    With out the catch wire, is my GO TO..

Monty_piglit likes this.
  12. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Me too, but when using .10-.46 gauge both the True-Arc on my Falcon and the Rocking Bar on my Penguin have spot-on intonation.

But with higher gauges the intonation is slightly off. Btw, both guitars have a pinned bridge base.

If you love to play higher gauges or love to experiment with different gauges, I can recommend the ABM 2400 roller bridge, which has a similar good tone as above bar bridges. But the True-Arc has an advantage: You can get it in different metals than just brass, which can sound a bit boomy on big hollow bodies like a Falcon.

audept likes this.
  13. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Tru-Arc Serpentune. Best of all worlds IMO, for a bar bridge and zero intonation issues.

20191107_122833.jpg

DennisC, Stefan, audept and 2 others like this.
  14. Monty_piglit

Oct 9, 2019
    Leicestershire
    Thanks everyone for your help.

I’m a bit confused about my Falcon. It is 10 years old but has hardly any signs of being played. The fret board is pristine, the dynamic sonics are like new but the saddles would appear to be worn.

perhaps who ever sold it to Chav Converters stuck some incorrect gauge strings on it.

might need a micrometer to test them.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  15. Monty_piglit

Oct 9, 2019
    Leicestershire
    @calebaaron666 , Do you know if a tru-arc would just fit on the existing bridge base? (I'm assuming it would because if I order one from f-holes I can select that it's for a Synchrosonic/Melita)

16. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
  17. Monty_piglit

Oct 9, 2019
    Leicestershire
    Yeah, But I know how long it can take to get a reply so thought I'd ask some one who has installed one on a Falcon :)

I've sent them a message and we can play a game of Who answer first :)

18. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Best bet is a good bar bridge, those old melitas are usual suspects for strange flaws. Maybe you‘ll find an Embie bridge somewhere to keep the authentic look?
    I‘ve made best experiences with dBridges or Truarc bridges:

AB9A22A6-1A6D-43BB-88D1-1879D669B920.jpeg

And if your bar bridge is used with the correct string gauge and sits in the correct position you‘ll get spot on intonation without the cheap tone of a TOM or Rollerbridge.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Monty_piglit, BorderRadio and G5422T like this.
  19. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The ABM 2400 is an exception, it sounds as good as a True-Arc. But a golden one is horribly expensive.

20. Monty_piglit

Oct 9, 2019
    Leicestershire
    With a tiny amount of use of the thinnest slotting file I've put a little nick in the saddle and that is holding the string in place much better :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice