question about lacquer finish

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by journeyman, Jan 12, 2019.

1. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Hamilton, Ontario
    I just got a 59/60 Annie that I'll be doing quite a bit to. One task is to cut a plexi riser for the neck pickup. The PAF Filter'tron will be moving to the bridge position and in its place will be a Dearmond 2000 style pickup. I want to paint the underside of the plexi riser that the Dearmond 2000 will sit on to match the Filter'tron ring; we'll call it silver/gray.

Question: Should I use lacquer, poly, enamel....? I want to avoid a chemical reaction with the original lacquer on the top. Thanks in advance.

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I would use Duplicolor lacquer, you can get it in spray cans at AutoZone.

3. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Thanks WM. So, the lacquer on the plexi riser won't fuse with the lacquer on the guitar after they are in contact with one another? I'm assuming of course that the lacquer on the bottom of the plexi riser will be given a few days to cure.

4. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    if memory serves, lacquers tend to melt into other lacquers and they can be temperature and humidity sensitive. too cold or wet when spraying results in a milky finish. make sure your environment is sufficiently warm and let it cure for a while before assembly.