Quarantine Island Binge Watching

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Mar 25, 2020 at 8:38 AM.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    What one video series would you bring into your home to help you get through the a 14 day quarantine?

2. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    The Wire -- some of the best writing on TV...um, HBO, really, but still...

3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Breaking the rules I guess, but I got a fairly big Amazon gift card at the holidays that I used to finally grab a bunch of Blu rays/DVDs of some of my favorites I'd wanted a copy of (mostly animation). To date I'd only made it through a couple so I should be set for a while :)

[​IMG]
    Just about done w/ the rewatch of Samurai Champloo, thinking I'll crack open the Futurama box set next, I guess I'd say that would probably be the one series for me if I didn't feel like going outside the lines of the OP ;)

[​IMG]
    Slightly bummed I couldn't find a Blu ray of Curse of the Wererabbit, but upsampling works well on my 1080p displays/players.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    drmilktruck and not_man_davo like this.
  4. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    As an animator, Let me first say NICE!

Cowboy Bebop is one of my all time favorite series. Have you ever watched Blue Submarine No. 6? It is incredible, but particularly hard to find.

drmilktruck and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Band of Brothers
    Monty Python
    M*A*S*H
    Blackadder
    Twilight Zone

stevo and drmilktruck like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Already finished the entire Star Wars saga except for The Rise of Skywalker. Even did Solo, and the Mandalorian for the first time.

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yeah, Cowboy Bebop is just about the perfect anime type series for me: great attitude to it & awesome art, music, & characters. That & Samurai Champloo are the only Shinichiro Watanabe things I've seen but they both are really pretty darn great in my book.

I'd heard a lot of good things about Blue Submarine No. 6 but haven't seen it yet. I'll make sure to cue it up if I ever see it on a streaming service or some such.

8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Stranger things......Fantastic show

Game of thrones

Longmire, great series, even better are the books

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel........great show

Call the Midwife, not to be missed. Based on a true story, books are great.

Henry and drmilktruck like this.
  9. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas

I think you can watch it on Crunchyroll, but I've never seen it anywhere else online. i had a DVD set years ago that was in a box of stuff that was lost in a move and is now irreplaceable so that kinda bums me out. If you dig Starblazers/Battle of the Planets type stuff, it's definitely one to watch.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  10. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    If you like the horror genre, Shudder is doing a 30 day free trail during the shut in. They made a Creepshow series that is super faithful to the original and TOTALLY worth the watch.

11. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
  12. Thass

Thass Electromatic

Dec 29, 2019
    Palm Desert
    I haven’t had a DVD player hooked up to my TV for years. With that said I just started to watch Westworld. It took me a while to start watching because Yul Brynner scare the crap out of me in the original movie when I was a kid. Black hat gunslinger and a rouge robot that can’t be stopped?! I had nightmares for days. “Draw....” (just gave myself goosebumps)

Sid Nitzerglobin and drmilktruck like this.
  13. Howdy folks, Doc.

If there can be only one it’d be Game of Thrones. All things considered, my favorite production of all time.

Deadwood and the latest 2 hour Deadwood movie.

neither of those two series was I able to get through the first episode of during the initial broadcast but circumstances lead me back to each. Both are very graphic and violent. More foul language in Deadwood than I’d ever heard before...and I’m an ol’ Sailor
    But Deadwood surpassed in my mind my all time favorite, Pulitzer Prize winning novel based mini series, Lonesome Dove. Larry McMurtry hit it out of the park with that one, but even so, overall, I enjoyed Deadwood more. Not for the faint of heart, children and many ladies.

Latest one that I absolutely love and is Yellowstone.

as an aside, really enjoyed Hell on Wheels

14. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas

Hell on Wheels is grossly underrated, in my opinion. I absolutely love cowboy movies and western dramas etc. (Deadwood, I'm looking at you.) and I thought that Hell on Wheels was one of the best I had seen. Like most programs, it starts better than it finishes, but the whole thing is really great.

drmilktruck, dougmon and dafreeze like this.
  15. My not_man!

reaching way back, favorite old western series? Rifleman, for me and I need to rediscover McQueen in Wanted, Dead or Alive

sorry Doc...carry on

not_man_davo likes this.
  16. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Broen/Bridge if you're okay with Scandi Noir and subtitles. Amazing acting and intense plot.

But someone mentioned The Wire - the best cop shows of all time, one of the best ever.

Dark - a Netflix masterpiece from Germany. Sci/Fi in nature but the Sci/Fi is more of a device to tell the story of these peoples' lives. Incredible show.

17. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Blackadder! That's one hilarious series. I sat down with a couple of buddies last fall with a fifth of RedBreast and a pint of Five Farms Irish Cream and we had a blast!

wabash slim and drmilktruck like this.
  18. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Big Valley and Daniel Boone are a couple of my favorites because I used ot watch them with my Grandad when I was a little kid. Have Gun Will Travel is still an absolute classic as well. During the overlap of Deadwood and The Sopranos, we used to have Sunday night watch parties, and a lot of people would watch The Sopranos and leave. But I was not so secretly a bigger fan of Deadwood. I think that aside from The Wire, it's the best show HBO has ever done. I still love the Sopranos, but it doesn't hold up as well for me as Deadwood has for me.

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Just downloaded my favorite recent movie - Knives Out.

Monty Python
    Beavis and Butthead
    Simpsons for the first 10 years or so

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 4:51 PM
    Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  20. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    On the HBO front, I really liked The Leftovers but it can be a pretty divisive one & if you bounce off of it, it seems like you bounce hard. If you can stick w/ it through the first few episodes, it's worth a watch for sure IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice