Pure Nickel strings

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MattMcEwen, Mar 16, 2019.

1. MattMcEwen

MattMcEwen Gretschie

Mar 23, 2018
    Halifax
    Anyone use them? Just trying my first set today. Pretty nice so far.

pmac11, blueruins and Jena like this.
  2. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I use DR 11-50 vintage pure nickel blues on my 5420t and I love them. I tried them after hearing from other GT members about how they liked them. Also they are made in USA.

Jena likes this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I use DR Pure Blues as well, 10s on solid bodies, 11s on hollow

Jena likes this.
  4. Well, all nickel vs. nickel over steel hex core strings . . . for an electric . . .
    - hollow or semi-hollow (center block or chambered) -

all cases . . . pick-ups maybe pick up the steel core "magnetics" better . . .
    . . . jus' sayin' I dunno.

5. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Nickel is a ferromagnetic metal and works quite well for guitar strings. It's also the "Ni" in AlNiCo magnets

I've tried D'Addario EPN-115 pure nickels a few times. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between them and the EXL-115 nickel-plated steel strings I usually use.

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I am an allergic. Good sounding strings, especially on Strats. But I avoid them because of obvious reasons,

Jockabilly and blueruins like this.
  7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    GHS Nickel Rockers...best string out there:)

8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Nickel over steel strings sound fantastic when you first put them on but they lose their sparkle over the course of 7 hours of play or so. Pure nickel strings retain their warm tone consistently for about 3 times that.
    Set your amp up for a great tone with the pure nickel and you don't have to adjust as the strings age.

Jena likes this.
  9. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Electromatic

Jan 14, 2018
    Winter Haven, FL
    I use the Ernie Ball pure nickel rock n roll strings. Love them. A much warmer tone to my ears which plays well with my 6120 and vox' tendencies for high end.

blueruins likes this.
  10. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I use DR Pure Blues on my Ibanez 335 clone but I prefer the “chimier” tone of D’Addario’s on my 5420. I recently put the D’A Balanced Tension set of 11-50 on on the Gretsch.

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Ernie Ball Rock n Roll's is what i use on the electric

12. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    I like pure nickel strings for Strats and p90 hollowbodies like an ES-295. Nickel plated steel for Teles and Gretsch

Jena and blueruins like this.
  13. gruffydd3

gruffydd3 Electromatic

Nov 3, 2018
    maryland
    I use Gibson Vintage Reissue pure nickel strings on all my Gibsons. I haven't tried them on anything else yet.

14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    As a man with, probably 50 sets of pure nickel strings in storage, that’s a nightmare thought. I guess there’s worse problems, but that has to be frustrating.

Well stated. I have a set of Thomastik Jazz BeBops which are apparently immortal. Likewise for the Jazz Swings I use on most of my guitars.

pmac11, emitex and blueruins like this.
  15. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I use the Ernie Ball pure nickel Rock & Roll set on my Strat to calm down the brightness a bit. I also think it sounds more like a 60s Strat with those strings. I do think they wear out faster than the standard Ernie Ball sets. I haven't tried them on any of my other guitars because I think they sound good with the standard sets.
    I've been considering putting some TI Jazz Swing on my Jet. I tried the D'adario chomes on my Gretsch and took them off in about an hour. I hated them - they were super dead compared to the TI flat wounds that are on my Rickenbacker 330 12 string.

16. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    For me they last longer and feel great. They also knock a bit of the treble off but not too much they’re dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The RnR's do wear out fast but i have lot's of guitars and they're cheap so it evens out, love the tone of them.

18. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I have Fender pure nickel strings on my Telecaster. I really like them.

19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I tried a set of those on my Streamliner, they were nice.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah I've been using them on my Strat for about 15 years. I don't have a problem if they wear out quicker than the standard Ernie ball sets because they sound really good and like you said the price is fair.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice