PSA Rancher Penguin Guitar on eBay

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Nov 8, 2018.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    No affiliation. Great price on a never played model..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gretsc...m=132828032079&_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476

GreatGretsch likes this.
  2. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    For the guitar yes it is, but the shipping is crazy high for that carrier service. Mass. to NC USPS Priority 2 day delivery is $64.50 vs. their $107.11 w/ 1-2 week delivery time. I suspect that is where they are making up the guitar price.

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That's certainly possible, although it doesn't save them any fees as eBay charges the seller based on total price paid by the buyer.

4. ponca

ponca Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Still seems like a pretty good price... seeing this for $550 shipped from the usual big stores so $315 + ~$70 shipping (for me) is still a good discount. Have to admit I'm a little tempted even though this is really not the right time for me... someone else buy it please. ;)

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Sure and they might even need to buy a box to ship it. And if it came with the case, albeit ill fitting, even better. It is a really good price. I would be less inclined to squawk about it if was a faster mode of transport. I just hate overpaying for shipping. Just one of those "things" for me I guess.;) (we need more emojis on GT)

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I bought a guitar earlier this year on eBay. Shipping was $100 quoted. I contacted the seller and he agreed to ship for $40. When I went to pay, I didn't notice the invoice still said $100, so I paid it. When I got I sent multiple messages to him about refunding the difference. No response. So I gave him negative feedback. That got his attention. He sent an angry email about I should have let him refund the money, etc... I told him if he refunded it, I could go back and get the negative feedback removed. I even told how to issue a refund. since he claimed not to know how to do it. Never got the money.

dak55 likes this.
  7. ponca

ponca Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    As someone who sold a guitar on Reverb a couple of months ago and got completely burned by how much shipping ended up being, $70 shipping no longer seems exorbitant to me.

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Shipping 193 USD to Germany.:(

9. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    When I looked at the listing, it had $178 for shipping!

10. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Yea
    Yea, goes by zip code.

11. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Hey I didn't mean to hijack the Doctor's PSA. It is a great price on the guitar and glad he posted if anyone was interested.

Even with shipping to me (if I was in the market) at $107 it's still not bad. It would be interesting if someone local to him wanted it, would he sell it at his price with local pickup? I too was burned once on shipping but never again - it's too easy to get the rates online. Just sayin' that $64 for 2 day and $107 for 2 weeks seems illogical from my point of view. But that's me. I've just never used shipping as a profit center on ebay. The buyers pays the what I pay. It just seems more honest to me to price the guitar for what I need to get less the Ebay and Paypal fees.

12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I got $112, via USPS Parcel Select. That makes no sense as that's a bare bones shipping service.

Here's what I got on the USPS site for a full size guitar box and estimated weight of 15#. For $104 it could be here tomorrow. Only $45 on the slow boat. Fishy.

Priority Mail Express 1-Day™

Select a Delivery Option Scheduled Delivery Day Retail Click-N-Ship®
    Normal Delivery Time Sat, Nov 10 by 12:00 PM $104.40
    Hold For Pickup Sat, Nov 10 by 3:00 PM $104.40
    [​IMG]
    Priority Mail 2-Day™

Select a Delivery Option Expected Delivery Day Retail Click-N-Ship®
    Normal Delivery Time Tue, Nov 13 $85.20
    Hold For Pickup Tue, Nov 13 $85.20
    [​IMG]
    USPS Retail Ground®

Select a Delivery Option Expected Delivery Day Retail Click-N-Ship®
    Normal Delivery Time Thu, Nov 15 $45.15

13. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    They have a good amount of $$$ buried in handling fees. Hope if anyone buys it they live close enough to pick it up and they would have a SWEET deal. :)

14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Wait---it costs more for the slower shipping?

That makes less sense than a politician.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    In the end it looks like Penguins aren't selling for much more than regular Jim Dandys or Roots acoustics despite all the bling. The Riff City one sold for $255 and the other one still isn't sold. That's a steep discount from the new price.

17. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Wow!! I guess they are slow enough movers for them to just want them out of inventory. I figured the Riff City bidding would go higher. So, sub $300 to the door. Not bad.

18. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    I bid $250 on this at 9 seconds to post-time, got a confirm back to me for the $250 bid and lost it to $255. I have snail-speed internet so doubt short of somebody having an automated bidding bot somebody could have seen my bid and reacted. I guess somebody could have bid $255 right when I did but????????

Anybody know if bids can be automated - time to search the inrternet I guess.

19. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    That sucks!!! Yes, there are bot programs you can pay for now that auto bid for you. Someone still has to put in a maximum bid though. The difference is they can electronically hammer the bid faster than you can manually. Ebay was MUCH more fun 20 years ago when bidding bots didn't exist. I have given up trying to last second bid. I have resigned myself to just putting in the maximum amount I am willing to pay and if I loose, so be it. Sorry for you.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018