PSA - Adorama Blowing out Pro Series Gretsches

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by DougCraft, Dec 25, 2018.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The open box thing has got me wondering if they displayed them in store. Do they do that because it sounds more like a warehouse? Unless they were returns but I would guess they would have to mark if used if it were a return.

There’s some definite temptation here for me. But I might have to unload a guitar on Reverb afterwards.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  3. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    Man, this is killing me... I have wanted a '53 Jet ever since I read the specs on them and saw that script headstock logo!

I am breaking out in a cold sweat...

Flouswa, BorderRadio, larryb and 2 others like this.
  4. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Looks like 100% return policy excluding shipping for first 30 days. Non returnable mentions open box but not musical instruments, it lists certain items in blister packages and some computer items.

https://www.adorama.com/help/returnPolicy

There must be some sort of finish flaw on them. Because there are two 6228’s in dark cherry. One for $1349 and one for $1499. What else would make one open box cheaper then another of the same product?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  5. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Might be just a statement to allow advertising such a low price. When I got my Annie from another Gretsch retailer, it was advertised on eBay as used. Turns out they had 5, all were brand new. Just skirting the minimum advertised price restriction from Gretsch.

BorderRadio and Merc like this.
  6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Damn... That T-Rose!!!

Flouswa, BorderRadio and Merc like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    You could be right. If they’re that big a company I’m sure they’ll make up a loss with another product. Although I thought some companies can return product for credit at times.

8. G DynaTron

G DynaTron Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2015
    France
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Must....resist....everything...

Merc likes this.
  10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Right now $1500 and $2500 are the same price....now $500, I could swing:(

dak55, thunder58 and englishman like this.
  11. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I agree you can’t have too many green gretsch guitars

T Bone likes this.
  12. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

The Manhattan store is pretty darned crazy, I remember checking it out one time. Remember J & R's too, it was down in the Wall Street area?

And oh crap, why did I look??? That anni...want! What a price. Yikes.

larryb, thunder58 and Bertotti like this.
  13. Joe M

Joe M Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Michigan
    Skeptic that I am, I find it hard to believe that these guitars are all returns, which is what most would assume. 50+ guitars??? My guess is that they want to move their Gretch inventory, for whatever reason, and to get around the MAP prices, opened the boxes these git’s were in, closed them back up, and declared they were open box, never used, which they are. That being said, I find it really hard to resist ordering several of these, just for the price. This is coming from someone who just bought two Gretschs in the last couple of weeks. MUST RESIST........:eek:

thunder58 and Flouswa like this.
  14. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

I agree, I think it's probably exactly a case of clearing inventory. Someone overbought and they not only need the space, but if it's like being an authorized Fender dealer, you have to take so many units every year as part of your agreement. If it's the same as Fender, mark up is about 40% on these, so they are just trying to break even or make a little. It's how I got such a deal on Scarlett I'm sure--I got her for $200 back when everyone else was selling that model for $350 but the place I got her from frequently runs sales like that to get rid of that one or two odd guitars to make space.

That said, they could actually be open boxes thanks to some idiot employees too. That happened to me one time at Best Buy, I got an "open box" laptop because of an employee who didn't bother to thoroughly check the models that were already on display.

15. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Bought my electro jet from them, def legit,,

thunder58 likes this.
  16. Joe M

Joe M Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Michigan
    I didn’t mean to imply they aren’t legit, just trying to rationalize how they can sell so cheaply...

17. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It’ll be interesting if anyone on here buys one. Please post if so. I could see myself picking up either a 6118 or a 6228 (I know completely different animals). Only way I could sell it to the wife is by moving a guitar out the door afterwards. I really wish she bought me a three guitar stand for Christmas.

A couple of these are low enough that one could flip with patience. Assuming the willpower is strong enough not to keep.

thunder58 likes this.
  18. threevok

threevok Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    Denver, CO
    Bought two guitars from Adorama this year at super low prices. Mexican Strat had a stripped truss rod and they replaced the guitar at no cost to me, including shipping.

T Bone and thunder58 like this.
  19. senojnad

senojnad Gretschie

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Those prices are extraordinary! Makes me wonder if they are looking to get out of the Gretsch guitar business and want to unload their inventory ASAP.....

Adorama is a first class business -- top quality merchandise and excellent customer care. I've been buying camera gear from them for decades!

T Bone and thunder58 like this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes - best deals on new Gretsch I've seen for years :)
    This Jet for example for $US1399 you could easily sell in Aust for $US3500 or more.

https://www.adorama.com/gr240240080a.html

Or keep it and save $2000.