Prototype Brain Pedal

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Merc, Jul 11, 2019.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    So much brain power up in here.

Ricochet and Merc like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Well you’re in luck with what he called a cherry color. Here’s a screenshot from the Nocturne Facebook only a few weeks ago.

39769854-59B7-401C-96E2-E7BCC7BA19BF.png

Bertotti likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Like dad used to say want in one hand and hhhh in the other. Cash would be the enemy on this case.

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I grabbed one and also added the insert loop cable:
    Nocturne april 2019 080.JPG Nocturne april 2019 077.JPG

Bertotti and Merc like this.
  5. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I really, really want this to have the Shrunken Brain circuit in it as well.

audept likes this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Me too!

7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Although I would love to try a Shrunken Brain, I’m not sure this new Atomic Brain version with multiple Brains in it is the way to go. The Shrunken Brain currently is the most expensive pedal @TV the Wired Turtle sells. Maybe it’s due to the parts or circuit design. It’s even more than a Mystery Brain which is really his flagship pedal.

This is a guess on my part, but I imagine if you threw in more Brains into a Shrunken Brain it may rise to $500-600 because the current Shrunken sells for $395. I’m not so sure Nocturne would sell too many. It know it would be higher than I’d be willing to spend on a pedal.

I might be wrong but I think the idea of this new multi Atomic Brain will be for the most part replacing the current production of the Dyno, Atomic, Billy, and Bass Brain. Which will be a win as it eliminates most of the guessing which ones for us and gives us more options on tap. I know I delayed my initial Brain purchase because I was confused about all the different Brains.

I’m really excited a new pedal is replacing four to be released late fall and for the evolution of the Atomic in which ever form it’s released as. But I’m not looking for a $500 pedal if that were the case.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    audept and Srellim1 like this.
  8. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    It sucks to be me! I’m brainless!

I have Christmas diabolical plans to get a Mystery Brain and a Detroit Casket..and with my Ubangi stomp I think that’ll do it for a cool Nocturne minimalist pedalboard for me.

Merc likes this.
  9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    A Mystery Brain or even this new Atomic would be an excellent way to solve being brainless.

The DC is great and I love my Mystery Brain. If I had to choose only one pedal to own... a MB it would be. But perhaps I’d be cheating as it’s a two in one pedal. ;)

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Shrunken is basicly 2 pedals in one. A Brain + Fet booster.
    I reckon that makes it more expensive. I think the MB uses a digital chip for the echo, so that saves a good chunk on the hand wiring process. Maybe...

Merc likes this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    All the talk about the Shrunken Brain has made me look up Tavo’s original demo explanation from back in 2014. It sounds as if the Brain and Fet booster are two separate boards on it which likely explains the cost. This will help explain it for those interested. It’s a great sounding pedal.

Ricochet likes this.
  12. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Electromatic

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    From the supplier side, I can’t imagine always having to figure out how many of what to order when, especially adding in the hand wired element, and a customer base of finicky guitar players. Simplifying could be a win all around.

Or he’s making something else awesome that’ll surprise everyone. That’d be cool, too.

pmac11 and Merc like this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I raised the price of the shrunken brain because I just dont have much time to make this pedal. Its two actual separate pedals in one mini box. Two actual separate tag board (we hand cut these and sand n file them too cuz they are a pain in the ass to work with IMO) circuit boards w flying lead hand wiring, near point to point. Boxes are powdercoated but logos are a hand applique and 3 step scuff, clean, spray - scuff, clean, spray, - scuff, clean, spray clear coating process. Drilling the box is involved as well. It takes a while to build.

The mystery brain circuit board has three different effect circuits on it but its a production PCB board w a mix of surface mount components and through hole components...way more components, tracings and complexity. There is a minimal amount of lead wiring and they are installed into enclosures that are drilled, powder coated and drilled out of state.

The Mystery Brain is what I call a multi effects box: preamp, boost,echo, vibrato. 3 preamp stages occuring in a series/parallel set up. All separately operated but vibrato only engages when echo is on. Brain Preamp feeds into Echo's Preamp which splits its wet signal over to the Vibrato's preamp and photocell, summed back to the echo.

Sorry, I've been out of the loop.. life is insane at the moment. Have to leave our house, and power company is punishing us for opting out of the smart meters on the house and replacing them w analog meters (they replaced them at our demand) and then handed us a $2000 bill when our monthly bill averages $400. its a long story but I'm in a storm of fun at the moment trying to repack the house after 10 months and find another place near my weekend gig.

14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks for the Shrunken Brain answer. It does sound great in your original demo.

That's alright. Due to your previous post about being in the middle of moving... I think I’ve reminded one or two people you might reply more slowly over the next month. But holy guacamole! That’s a steep bill for the analog meter. It must’ve been vintage correct from the 50’s.

audept and Sabato like this.
  15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I'm thinking the same thing for later this week... a Boss FA1 FET (clone) in front of the Atomic Brain that's in the mail.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Ricochet and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice