Project Triple Jet (club).

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by stiv, Dec 1, 2017.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Last night I was surfing youtube and I came into Jack White's Parsons modified Triple Jet. I saw several video about it, one made by some fella that created the same guitar from scratch (and a Electromatic Double Jet). To be honest, I really liked that tone.. I discovered that, other than a third Filtertron and 3 separate switches to on/off any single pickup instead of master volume, Jack White installed a MXR Micro Amp into it, with an additional knob to set the gain placed close to the Bigsby taipliece, and basically using the pickup selector as an on off switch to activate the micro amp for solos.
    I read on a interview that Jack wanted a ready-made guitar to plug straight into and amp and play, no other devices needed... So, as you guys know better than me, GAS it's a disease that never end. :) Also, I'm a big fan of pluggin straight into the amps...
    I just bought a Jet Club and modded it to my pleasure (ceramic Filtertrons, G tailpiece, new tuners, single pickup volumes and mud switch instead of pickup selector) and I thought it may be a cool mod to experiment with (with the help of my friend the guitar man, of course... I'm not that skilled). I may just add a third pickup volume and an on/off switch for the Micro Amp in place of the master volume (that I don't have), so I could keep the mud switch that I really like. For this needs, I have a couple of questions:
    - Supposing I don't find another ceramic Filtertron (they're like white unicorns out there) to go along my two '89 ceramics, what Filtertron (or TV Jones) model, according to you guys, would be the best fit to go with the ceramics in the middle position tonewise?
    - What type would you guys install in the middle position? Neck or bridge?
    Oh, and if any of you fellow Gretscher own a Triple Jet, I'd love to know what you think of your baby! :D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Sounds like a cool project.

montereyjack66 likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    We're moving into uncharted territory here....

4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Awesome. I love Jack White's Gretsch mutants. Looking forward to this build.

5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    So, what modern Filterton do guys think it should fit best with a pair of pre FMIC ceramic Filters sound wise? I surfed ebay yesterday but no sing of ceramics at all. I think it would be a very difficult task to find one..

6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    stiv likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have a ceramic and a HS on the same 5120 and they play well together, you could move the front pickup to the middle and put a HS in front.

8. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Thanks Eman, this would sure work, and the price is right too.
    Are they discontinued or TVJ still produce them? I may even buy one new.

9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Annoyingly, they come with Gretsch Corvettes and nothing else. I've never seen one new for sale.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice