Pro Jet cases hard to find...

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Telechamp, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Hey, thanks for the tip, GG! I will definitely call and ask for Mitch and tell him about this problem with the case, and see what he says..

Will let you know what he said - -

TC

2. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    [Originally Posted by Gretsch Guy
    TC, Sorry to hear the case does'nt fit. This sounds like the same problem they had last December when I bought mine. If I were you, I'd call BlackRider and ask for Mitch, explain the whole situation, and ask him to take every case of this type that they have in stock, get a Pro-Jet, and "test-fit" to see if any of them fit, INCLUDING closing the lid and latching the latches! I think Mitch is the owner or manager and is a good guy. Good-Luck, G.G./quote]

Hey GG - Just talked to Mitch @ Blackrider (You're right - he seems like a nice guy) and he told me that my case came from the latest "good" batch, so it was one of the new ones..

He said for me to try to push the neck rest down and try to lower it a tad so that the case will close properly. He said the neck rest will "give" some if you push down on it. I did try that and it seemed to work somewhat - Still a tight fit, but I think I can live with the case now..

Mitch also said that, in time, the case will "expand" some after the newness and stiffness wears off, and the guitar should fit in there pretty nicely then.

So after tallking to him, I think I'm going to keep it (although he said they would exchange it if I wanted to), and keep "breaking it in".
    BTW, the 4th latch did close after I did the neck rest trick..

Thanks for the info!

TC

3. Gretsch Guy

Gretsch Guy Gretschie

Nov 15, 2009
    Del.
    TC, that might be it. The neck rest is held in place by 4 phillips-head screws, 2 on either side of the case. You might want to loosen them 1/4 or 1/2 turn, then press down on the neck rest again. That just might give you the additional clearance for the lid to close easier. Again, keep in mind, that 1/2 inch of foam padding under the "fur" on the sides and lid will compress over time making the Jet fit better, mine did. G.G.

4. ScottyB

ScottyB Electromatic

Dec 6, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    TC -the factory case for my Silver Falcon is so tight that the tailpiece is actually pulling the lining away from the case and bunching up and it is quite a trick to get it latched. The OHSC on my 58 Tennessean on the other hand is so loose it seems like the guitar is rattling around like a pea in a walnut shell and I have to put a thick terry towel on it to keep the guitar in place. Of the two I prefer the tight fit!!! I'd imagine you've made the right decision to keep your case. Nice Pro-Jet BTW. I have a black one.

Scotty

5. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Thanks for the tip on the two side screws, GG - Great idea - I hadn't thought of that... I'll try it, and I'm sure that will give me a few more silly millimeters to work with!

6. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Wow, that is interesting, Scotty - So even the Gretsch cases sometimes aren't perfect fits...

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and keep the Blackrider case - It's a really nice quality case, and I think now with the adjustments, it will definitely work.

And like you said, a tight fit is better than a loose fit ~

(Those black Pro Jets are nice!)

7. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    My understanding is it's better to have too loose than too snug. A super tight fit transfers external shock more directly to the instrument. It needs to have some give.

8. Gretsch5135

Gretsch5135 Synchromatic

May 1, 2010
    Republic of Texas
    My Gretsch case was a bit tight but inserting it such that the bottom of the guitar goes in the case first made a big difference. Laying it down gently, with the strap button as the pivot point, it kind of flows into the case. But, try it any other way and it is a fight. Bottom line - even the factory case seems to be a tight fit.

Thanks for the update. Had I not found mine (thanks again musician's luck) I would order one of theirs possibly.

9. ScottyB

ScottyB Electromatic

Dec 6, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    That certainly sounds logical but it seems the Gretsch people tend towards the tighter side of things with the cases they supply (with my 58 Tennessean case being an exception). The case for my 72 Country Gent is quite snug as well.

G5135 I use the same procedure for my tight Gretsch cases -it seems the only way to make it work!

10. echoes

echoes Newbie

Nov 24, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Gig Bag for Electromatic Pro Jet

I FOUND A GIG BAG! IT'S A GUARDIAN CG-220-E. IT FITS LIKE IT WAS MADE FOR THE GUITAR. YAHOOOO!

ONLY ONE SHOP IN NEW YORK CITY CARRIES THEM:

EAST VILLAGE MUSIC STORE
    21 EAST 3rd STREET
    NEW YORK, NY 10003

212-991-4930
    zippy@broadviewnet.net

Ask for Claude

11. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Great.... :( I was thinking the exact opposite.. (???!!)

12. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Yeah, that's sort of the procedure I have to use with this Pro Jet and this case.. Bottom first at an angle, then gently push the horn down until it fits in.

[​IMG]

13. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Seems to be a consensus on fitting these Gretsches in their tight cases!

Hey, does it matter that part of the Pro Jet (the upper bout) is "exposed" (for lack of a better word) while in this new case of mine? (see pic to see what I mean..) This won't scratch the guitar when the case is open and closed, will it??... For instance, my Epiphone Dot here - next to the Pro Jet in the 2nd photo - doesn't have this issue with its case.

Am I sweating the small stuff?... Ha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Hoodster

Hoodster Electromatic

May 2, 2009
    Oregon
  15. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Actually, Hoodster, the Blackrider case fits fine now, after a little initial breaking-in. It's a nice quality case, and I like the way it looks. So I can recommend these Blackrider cases now ($80 + $30 shpg.) for all you Pro Jet owners out there.

It's a tight squeeze at first, but fits fine after you've taken the Pro Jet in and out a few times.

TC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Hoodster

Hoodster Electromatic

May 2, 2009
    Oregon
    Thanks, but not going to spend that on a $350 guitar (plus I have a B7 on mine).

17. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Well, you're making me feel bad now, 'cause I only spent $275 on my used Pro Jet... :(

But yeah, these cases aren't cheap - I'll grant you that - and I think 30 bucks for shipping is way out of line, BUT they are cheaper than the $176 Gretsch Pro Jet case...

Bottom line: If you want a nice case for your Pro Jet, these Blackrider cases - while not exactly cheap - are good cases. And it's hard finding a non-Gretsch case that fits these Pro Jets.. Believe me - I know..

18. Charlie Cash

Charlie Cash Gretschie

Jan 18, 2010
    Western Colorado
    I thought I'd revive this thread. I just got a new Pro Jet. I don't have a case for it yet, so I thought I would see if it fit in my Fender gigbag; the standard ones that come with MIM strats and Teles. Well, it fit in the bag perfectly. The neck angle is greater on the Pro Jet, so the gig bag is not the most protective option, but it will work.

19. goss61

goss61 Electromatic

Aug 12, 2010
    Ireland
    May not be relevant to you North Americans...but I ordered a G5235t today from Thomann in Germany. I spoke to someone there and they didn't have any form hard cases to fit but assured me that this rectangular one does.

I'll know next week if they were correct, but I suspect they are.

edit....just got curious and checked and they deliver to the US for 30 euro.
    Just thought it might be another option for people.

20. goss61

goss61 Electromatic

Aug 12, 2010
    Ireland
    Well, the case I mentioned in the post above just came and it doesn't fit. Back it goes...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice