Pro Jet cases hard to find...

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Telechamp, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Charlie Cash

Charlie Cash Gretschie

Jan 18, 2010
    Western Colorado
    I think its the size of the box that makes it expensive to ship.

2. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

I ordered an SG case from Rondo last year and the shipping was only $15.51...

Just sayin' ...

3. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    It really depends on who they ship with also. Another thing you have to remember, is that shipping has almost doubled from last year.

4. boomaus

boomaus Electromatic

Oct 22, 2010
    Charleston, WV
    hey Tele, please let me know how it works out. I'm planning on getting one and I'm about 2 hrs or so from Lexington and I figure just go there and get one.

5. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

OK, I'll definitely post up some pics, and give my impressions of the case when it comes in. The UPS tracking # site is saying Friday..

6. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Wow, Juke - did not know that shipping rates have doubled since last year... Wonder what's causing that??...

7. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Well, good news and bad news...

Got the Blackrider Pro-Jet case in today.

Good news: It came a day early, brand new in good shape, a nice case.

Bad news: My Pro-Jet doesn't fit it.. :mad:

As you can see by the pics, it won't exactly fit.

Now, I have not FORCED it in yet.. Should I attempt to do that? It looks as if the guitar might fit if I try forcing it in..

Would you guys force the guitar in, or just return the case? I'm thinking about calling Blackrider to hear their explanation, and what they think about me forcing it into the case...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Charlie Cash

Charlie Cash Gretschie

Jan 18, 2010
    Western Colorado
    Telechamp,
    That is a bummer. If I were you, I'd call Blackrider before forcing it in. They may tell you that it will compres the adding a little and then be fine or they might not.
    I'm hoping to get a pro-jet soon and was hoping that case would be perfect, so please keep us posted.

9. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Yeah, Charlie, I'm not too thrilled with it not fitting - especially since this case with shipping cost me $110 - but I did call Blackrider today, and the guy admitted that these cases "don't exactly" fit a Pro-Jet, but he said that they were the "closest" generic case that Blackrider could find for these guitars.. But he said that you can force the Pro-Jet in, and in time he said the case padding will expand to accomodate the guitar...

Hmm... So I guess I'll go ahead and try to force my Pro-Jet in there (I just don't want to possibly scratch the sides of the guitar doing this...), but I was really hoping this case would fit - because when I called and originally ordered the case last Monday, the guy I talked to then - a different sales rep than today - assured me it would be a perfect fit... :rolleyes:

10. Charlie Cash

Charlie Cash Gretschie

Jan 18, 2010
    Western Colorado
    I guess his definition of "perfect" is different than ours. I wouldn't want to scratch that guitar either; its a beauty. If you find it works well after a little persuasion, let us know because it is about $100 less than the other choice.

11. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Ha! Yeah, I guess his definition of "fits perfect" is a little different than mine...

OK, I'll let you know how it went. Will try it after dinner here..

12. griole

griole Electromatic

Jul 20, 2010
    Hoosierville
    That is a real drag. My Double Jet fit perfectly, and I am assuming you got the same case I did. Otherwise, I would never have recommended it to you. Are both the top and bottom bouts too snug?

13. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Hey Griole, glad your Double Jet fit these cases - Are the dimensions of these two guitars the same?

Don't worry about your recommending Blackrider to me, tho - I know you assumed that since your Double Jet fit, that a Pro Jet would fit as well... The top (length-wise) fits perfect - the problem is that the inside sides of the case are too small (narrow) for the Pro Jet body..

Maybe all is not lost, tho - Do you think it would be okay to force the Pro Jet in, like the Blackrider guy told me to do??...

[​IMG]

14. griole

griole Electromatic

Jul 20, 2010
    Hoosierville
    Hey, Telechamp -
    How pliable are the inside walls of the case? Can you squeeze the lining with your thumb on the inside, and your pointer finger on the outside, and notice some "give"? How thick are the interior side wall linings? If it were me, I would try to fit it in, but if it is really difficult, and had to jam it in to the point that the sides were collapsing downward rather than outward, I'd just send it back. Hopefully, there's some "spring" to the side linings, and it will work.

Also, how much difference are we talking? Measure the interior of the case at it's widest, and your Pro Jet at its widest. How much room are you lacking? If it's a half inch, you should be able to make it fit. More than that, I'd be cautious. Lemme know what happens.

15. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

OK, I sort of "forced" it in, and although it's a TIGHT fit, I'm thinking it's do-able...

I took the guitar in and out of the new case a few times, and it definitely fits in there tightly, but maybe that's good.. At least it won't be sliding around!! ha

The padding in the tight sides covers up the body of the guitar some (see pic) but I don't see that as a problem.

So I think I'll keep the case (it is a pretty nice one, as Gretsch Guy said), and I'm figuring as I keep taking the guitar in and out of this new case, that the case will gradually expand some on the sides more and more - and fit the Pro Jet in there pretty good in the near future..

Thanks for all the input ~ Looks like a successful resolution.. I guess I could recommend this Blackrider case now for Pro Jets - if you don't mind a little tight squeeze at first!

TC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Charlie Cash

Charlie Cash Gretschie

Jan 18, 2010
    Western Colorado
    I'm glad it worked out for you.

17. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Well, I know everybody is getting tired of hearing about my Pro Jet guitar case saga, but I guess I'm gonna have to make one last post about it..

After giving this case a thumbs up in my post last night, I never actually tried to CLOSE the case...

The problem is that it will hardly close with the guitar in it.

At least that's the situation with the one I got.. I really had to, again, kind of force the lid of the case down to close this case with my Pro Jet in it. And even then, one of the latches won't close - I believe the toggle switch is hitting the inside top of the case, but in any event, it won't close without forcing the top of the case down. This should not be the case (no pun intended...)

I just cannot recommend this Blackrider case for a Pro Jet. Maybe I got one of the bad ones or older stock or whatever, because I know some guys don't have a problem with these cases fitting their Pro Jets, but this case just won't work for me.

I'm going to return it and start the hunt all over again. I see now why the Gretsch case is so expensive. There really are no other choices it seems...

18. Charlie Cash

Charlie Cash Gretschie

Jan 18, 2010
    Western Colorado
    Telechamp,
    Thanks for the update and I am sorry that it is not working out as expected. When it comes time for me to get a case, which will hopefully be in January, I will probably opt for the expensive case, based on your experience. I would try the bring the guitar to the store and try cases method, but the nearest store that might have a case is 4 hours away.

19. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Yeah, I wish it would have fit, too... Good luck with your hunt, too, Charlie..
    Hopefully, you'll be able to find a cheaper one and not have to opt for the expensive Gretsch case...

However, I believe it was Gretsch Guy who got one of these Blackrider cases (he stenciled "Gretsch" on it) and his seemed to fit his Pro Jet okay - maybe a little tight - if I remember correctly, so I really don't know what to say.. I just know the one I ordered is not gonna work for me...

20. Gretsch Guy

Gretsch Guy Gretschie

Nov 15, 2009
    Del.
    TC, Sorry to hear the case does'nt fit. This sounds like the same problem they had last December when I bought mine. If I were you, I'd call BlackRider and ask for Mitch, explain the whole situation, and ask him to take every case of this type that they have in stock, get a Pro-Jet, and "test-fit" to see if any of them fit, INCLUDING closing the lid and latching the latches! I think Mitch is the owner or manager and is a good guy. Good-Luck, G.G.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice