Premier Guitar : Mod Garage: How to Shield Humbucking Pickup Covers And The Gretsch Filtertron

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, Dec 3, 2018.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I always wondered about that design; I think it's a pretty interesting article.

Jan19_PG_CLM_Mod-Garage_image-1_WEB.jpg Jan19-ModGarage-2-3.jpg

Merc and emitex like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    ZackyDog likes this.
  3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Here is the debatable touch point in this article: "When you remove a humbucker’s metal cover, the difference in tone is stunning."

Merc and Chmason85 like this.
  4. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I was thinking the same thing, how much difference does it really make? I doubt the difference is "stunning.."

5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    So why do people remove the covers off regular humbuckers? I personally think it looks ugly.

Chmason85 and Merc like this.
  6. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    No offense, but I'd be reluctant to take advice from anybody named "Dirk Wacker" (author of the article):D

Chmason85, wabash slim and Merc like this.
  7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I am guessing that Eric heard a difference and liked his pickups uncovered?

[​IMG]

8. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Agree it’s likely not stunning. When I first read it, my initial thought/question was how does the PUP cover material, etc, cutting across the magnetic field affect the magnetic field. Was it equivalent to adding resistance to an electrical circuit (weakening the signal) or was it acting like some sort of insulator for the magnetic field lines? Some how changing the characteristics and making it stunning. Turns out...

No. There is no such thing as a magnetic insulator.

https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae512.cfm

I now believe the effect if any, of removing a PUP cover to sound stunning is utterly BS. If it affects the tone or what have you, it’s probably so minuscule that 99% of the human population can’t hear it.

I’ll add although I have a basic understanding of magnets, I have an above average understanding on both AC and DC (pun intended) after working 16 years on generators to include power plants. So maybe I overthought this thing initially a wee bit by comparing magnetic lines with with how electrons flow.

Will someone out there with scientific equipment prove me wrong and analyze the same PUP recorded both with and without the cover, and with the string plucked with the same amount of force? After all, as TartanPhantom said it... it was written by Dirk Wacker. Then again, I did recently learn that guitars sound better with certain paint colors. So maybe it does sound stunning!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  9. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Maybe it was to shave a few oz. off his LP. Either way, he can play to back it up.

10. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Its natural to want to pull pickup covers off humbuckers on a les paul.. the only thing that belongs on a les paul are single coils pickups!!

CNPCNP and Merc like this.
  11. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    No experience with humbuckers (hate those things), but on Tele neck pickups, removing a chromed brass cover makes a HUGE difference - it's like you replaced that muffled, muddy, blanket-over-the-amp thing with a Strat single coil.
    Cover material makes a difference here, though - it's those chromed brass covers that take away all the treble, with nickel silver covers (which are used for most "modern" Tele neck pickups), the difference is negligible.....

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    And that in itself is a personal taste because I dont ever want ANYTHING to sound like a strat single coil.. The beauty of a telecaster IS the cover on a well made telecaster neck pickup. My Peterflorance.com 59' sweet, is an angel of a pickup!

13. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

It’s okay. We love you anyways.

RomanS likes this.
  14. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    How the covers affect the sound depends on what they're made from.
    In terms of PAFs, and derivatives thereof, originals and the anally accurate replicas have nickel covers, which make negligible difference - Eric probably bought the guitar like that or removed them because someone told him it would make a difference. I doubt he could hear a difference. It's possible that because PAFs aren't potted, he was having 'microphonic' problems that removing the covers would have cured/reduced.
    In terms of copies where they use plated, brass covers, they significantly reduce high frequencies from the pickup output.
    All that said, the first thing people tend to do after removing pickup covers is screw the pole screws down to the bobbin, set the pickup 'height' as before - in practise, actually closer - and then perceive that it's 'got louder'.

RomanS likes this.