Preamp/EQ for acoustic

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by wildeman, Apr 14, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I did some wheeling and dealing for a square neck Dobro and it has a real nice pickup in it, its an active pickup but it could use a little boost and a bit more EQ than my board can do. Anybody got a cool outboard box their using for acoustic into the PA?
    New Dobro
    1555247922739488406323.jpg and this Fishman pickup. Screenshot_2019-04-14-06-28-23-1.png Screenshot_2019-04-14-06-28-45-1.png

2. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    I love my LR Baggs Venue DI. I also have a Baggs Para Acoustic DI, the advantage of which is that it can be phantom powered. I use the Venue every gig, and double up with the PADI if I'm using two guitars. I bought a Fishman Platinum Pro for preamping acoustic clarsach in our band and it's a neat device too - it has built in compression, so that might be good to have with dobro - I've no experience with those instruments, so you'll need to DYOR on that. It works well with acoustic guitar too.

I know of a lot of players who favour the Red Eye, especially with K&K pickups. I suspect the 'money is no object' preamp would be one of the Grace jobs. I've seen a few people using the Felix, and if I had a stereo output, that's where I would go. I know Grace do a mono version with the same electronics for less money. If I wanted the best, I'd go there, after doing a whole bunch more research of course!

3. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    Oh, and the Fishman works well with bass too - it has a toggle switch. Makes it a bit more versatile, but probably doesn't help you much with dobro.

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Thanks, I'll look some of these up. I won't only be using it for Dobro so versatility is good.

5. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Been there done that and doing that now. I have had the baggs, fishman, and couple other para type. Anyway the best of them all is a Boss GE-7. I have a Collings CJ35 with K&K pickup, perfect impedance match. The Boss works flawlessly and you can sculpt any tone you desire. I use it every Sunday for praise worship, and occasional solo gig. Do not believe the old outdated crap about the GE7 needing mods to quiet them down etc. That issue was taken care of by Boss over 12 years ago. I listened to a lot of golden eared "expert" advice on what EQ to get and bought at least four $$$ ones. The Boss GE7 beats them all. It also a great clean boost and tone sculpture tool more for your electrics I have one on each of my pedal boards. For the DI box I use a Radial Pro when needed through the PA.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    blueruins likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Im the shlub that just got rid of my GE7:(

LivingMyDream likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I looked at Fishmans line up and would you believe they have a pre designed with none other than Jerry Douglas specifically for the instrument? Mucho dinero but it sounds heavenly.

8. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I have also done that before but never again. Very underrated pedal and bargain. Kind of like a compressor you have to know how to use it or it just sits there and you wonder why you even have one.

wildeman likes this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I will probably get me another one and try it for this, i regret letting it go anyway.

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I also have another Atomic Brain on the way that ima try. My other Brain is sandwiched on a board right now.
    The Brain and GE7 might be the ticket, hope so cause I'll get off fairly cheap. That Jerry Douglas Aura is $370.00:eek:.

11. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    The GE7 kicking a Brain might be interesting indeed. Just might ratchet the gain up enough.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Check out the Artec EQ pedals. I was gonna recommend the Parametric or Graphic Eq, then I saw this...

[​IMG]
    Maybe stack it with this:

[​IMG]

wildeman likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Leo Kottke uses Baggs.

14. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I use the Trace Elliot Transit A. It is a full-function all-things-acoustic ultimate solution. And it's affordable.

http://www.traceelliot.com/#transit-a

Preamp? Check
    Reverb? Check
    Tuner? Check
    Delay with tap tempo? Check
    Chorus? Check
    Boost? Check
    1/4"? Check
    XLR? Check
    Phase switch? Check

wildeman likes this.
  15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Me too! :(

As to the original question, I went with a Fishman ToneDeq, and I've been very happy with it. I use it when I'm playing my Taylor in church. I either use a Boss tuner before the ToneDeq, or I use a Shark headstock tuner just to check the tuning (the Taylor really stays in tune well).

Hear's the layout, and the different effects:

[​IMG]

thunder58 and wildeman like this.
  16. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I have an old Baggs GigPro and a $99 Fishman Pro EQ ll. Both are fine. The Bagg's is more spread out smooth adjustment, but a little more cumbersome to adjust. The Fishman has sliders which I'm not fond of , but works fine and I usually prefer it.
    If needing a preamp again I would likely get a floor model with an XLR line out to go to PA as well as pass through to amp. The problem with a floor mounted unit is, what you really need live is a convenient volume adjustment at your finger tips!
    I wouldn't spend a ton though, I have not found a big difference in lower end or higher end preamps as far as tone goes. But features... yes.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    wildeman likes this.
  17. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    I’m a big fan of the Baggs ParaDI boxes. I use them for everything.

wildeman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice