Pre-performance nerves..."stage fright"...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Jul 31, 2019.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I was scared when they had the top 3 play off at the Walnut Creek Festival. Roy Clark got 1st " git 2nd I got 3rd. Roy told me when we were doing Hee Haw I was 3rd because my hands were shaking. My firsy time at the Opry, I had to back up Ernest Tubb on Waltz Across Texas I was really scared, after it was over he gave me a $2 bill he said he had carried it for years, it would bring me luck. I still have it in my wallet over 50 years later. And YES Elvis did blow lunch !

T Bone, Zeek, Flouswa and 2 others like this.
  2. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    That was Waylon's fav line !

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's simple. With a marching band, you've got 'safety in numbers', and you're playing for (usually drunk) alumni who really couldn't tell if you miss a note. With solo performance, you're out there all on your own, and being judged by some harsh critics (the other kids' parents being the harshest).

If you aren't at least a bit apprehensive about your performance, then you likely don't care. If you want to do your beast, you'll have some jitters. A lot of it is based in our confidence and familiarity of the tune.

Floo likes this.
  4. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Just lean on the other members of the group. It isn’t often that everyone will screw up at the same time. And even if they do, it will make for a great laugh. Why so serious?!

Floo and Flouswa like this.
  5. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

This sounds like me playing with my duo partner. I'm sure people are wondering what we are laughing about, especially those who aren't musicians or guitar players.

6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I wish I had as much confidence as my singer...I have asked him if crowds ever intimidate him. He said why would they, I am the guy with the mic and will always be the loudest person in the room....Good response:cool:

pilgrim likes this.
  7. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Just played bass for 3 worship services today (probably just over 2000 people total for the day). I typically play guitar, but there was need for a bassist. A lot less pressure to perform, lots of fun. It was cool to really focus on on the drummer, something that I don’t really do when I play lead.

MTurner likes this.
  8. Zeek

Zeek Electromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    When I first started playing I wouldnt even say I was a guitar player, as I thought it was a insult to those who do,lol.

But now I have no problem calling myself a guitar player. I think I play fairly good have a great time doin it and it brings me great joy.

The only problem is no one will know, I wont play in front of anyone.

Nerves, scared, afraid, stupid sure call it what you want (I prefer STUPID) but not stage fright cause I wouldn't get on one.

I wish I could play in front of people or a person. I say I will play in front of my wife all the time but cant. I get caught playing, someone will walk in and I quit playing. My brother in law will sneak in and listen to me until I see him then, Pow I freeze.

Psychoanalyst would probably be, Im self centered and only care about myself which makes its kind a sad. Then again psychoanalyst would probably go much deeper and scarier then Id prefer, LOL.

9. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    You should always try to do your beast!!!

10. Zeek

Zeek Electromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Thank You, To all of you who do have the courage to go out and entertain and inspire people, to play, to sing or just enjoy music.

Floo likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Fingers are working faster than my brain.

Floo likes this.
  12. salvatore

salvatore Electromatic

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    I played guitar - including lead solos- in a band in So Cal for six years.
    Our bass player had stage fright and used to forget parts on occasions. It was always the same songs he’d flub.
    He asked me what I did to feel confident and nail my parts.

I told him I would practice my parts until I could not only play them as written , but I could at times embellish. To me it was simple logic: Practice your parts until you learn them- even when there are new chords and solos that take hours of practice - and that eliminates the feeling of stage fright.

There’s nothing to be afraid of when you master your parts.
    It’s great fun too.

Henry and Hammerhands like this.
  13. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Well there is one secret. When I started playing club or bar gigs by myself I knew I couldn't sing. I was really good on guitar so I would play awhile then start to sing some Glen Campbal . I was making 100 a night. When I started singing people would offer me $20 not to sing, so I would tell jokes. It became Pickin and Grinnin. Later Hee Haw ! I made lemonade out of lemons.

MTurner, T Bone and Zeek like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice