Pre-2011 Pro Jet pickup surrounds?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by SpaceCowboy, Jan 19, 2020.

1. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    Austin
    What are people doing to get neck pickup surrounds to fit on a 2008 5236? I want to install some spare Blacktop pickups I have but the neck pickup route is so close to the neck there isn't enough room between the end of the neck and the pickup to fit the regular surround. Are people just sanding them off? I would probably have to remove about 3/32" It also looks like I would need to remove some wood under the pickups to allow the brass L-shaped legs that hold the pickup height adjustment screws on the BTs to fit in. That's a little more invasive procedure than I had planned. :-|

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I cut mine with a hobby saw then sanded it. I used blue tape on the back at the cut line and didnt even mess up the paint.
    I put regular Filtertron's on mine and cut the ears off. I don't know how you'll do it wit BT's.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    SpaceCowboy likes this.
  3. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    Austin
    Thanks for the pics! My BTs have the ears with the 3 screw hole layout (2 on one side 1 on the other) but it looks like yours have the traditional screw mount through the pickup cover. Did yours come that way or did you have to cut off the ears and drill them? Thinking maybe I just need to go with the block kits and some filtertrons. I noticed in the TVJ tutorial they installed the neck pickup at the edge of the route towards the bridge, maybe that creates some space for the neck pickup surround.

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I used those same blocks. Here's the cut bezel. 20200120_172250_HDR.jpg

SpaceCowboy likes this.
  5. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    Austin
    wow, you can't tell at all. Looks like I need blocks :-D

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'm a little impressed TVJ only charges $5 for the kit.

7. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    My pickups came out of a 2012 (?) G5420T, so they already had the 2 holes in the pickup covers.
    6DEA2FDA-A082-4740-ADFD-C867619FD61E.jpeg
    I did mount the neck pickup more towards the bridge so the bezel did not need to be modified.

SpaceCowboy likes this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Did you remove some wood? I couldn't get mine to go any further.

9. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    Austin
    I did a test fit with the neck pickup surround and it looks like the center of the 2 bridge-side screw holes is right on the edge of the pickup route, which doesn't seem ideal. So, one more thing to work around. I think I'm going to try making my own blocks. :)

10. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice