Practice amps: Fender Mustang vs Vox Pathfinder

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by section2, Jun 12, 2019.

1. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'm wondering what folks here would recommend for a small, inexpensive practice amp. I'd only use it for playing quietly in the house, so I'm looking for something that sounds good and offers a variety of tones at low volume. I've heard good things about the Fender Mustang I or II, and the Vox Pathfinder 15r. Anyone have experience with either amp, or suggestions for other models?

r0de0 likes this.
  2. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Electromatic

Jan 14, 2018
    Winter Haven, FL
    Fender mustang is more versatile as it is a modelling amp. I have a Pathfinder 10r that I am selling as I never bonded with it. It has decent tone but kinda one note. Had a Mustang I a while back and it was a fun amp.

section2 likes this.
  3. Donaldo

Donaldo Electromatic

Nov 15, 2018
    Newcastle, UK
    I use a Yamaha THR10, great little amps, but are a bit pricy for a practice amp.
    oh and you can get slapback on it.

section2 likes this.
  4. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    How was the speaker on the Mustang I? I like the idea of this amp but I wonder if the little 8" speaker might be too small for a decent tone.

5. mandobandit

mandobandit Electromatic

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    Boss Katana 50 watt
    Scale able to half a watt and has headphone out multiple effects and 5 or 6 amp voices 12” driver
    I have one hits all your marks pretty good for the investment and can play at full 50 watts plus very light for grab and go

pmac11 and section2 like this.
  6. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Good morning, Section2, I just bought a new practice amplifier, a Blackstar 10v2, a 10 watt stereo amplifier, normally about $ 109.00, I got it for $ 89.00 on sale at Guitar Center. This was my first new practice amp in over 30 years as my old one (a Roland Cube 20) was showing its age. I love this new amplifier, it has six different tone settings, Clean Warm, Clean Bright, Crunch, Super Crunch, Overdrive 1 and Overdrive 2. It has reverb, delay, and modulating sounds. This amp can rock pretty loud but the various effects, particularly the distortion, also sound really good even if played at low volume (I have done it a couple of times at night and it sounds pretty awesome even with the volume down). I had actually been looking at a Fender Champion 20 but people both on the Gretsch Talk and Gibson SG sites recommended I look into the Blackstar, so here it is! Good luck with however you decide to go! amp.jpg Gretschamp1.jpg Guitarsamp.jpg

diamoroso, section2 and mandobandit like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's a huge market with many possibilities. When it comes down to it, your ears and needs are what counts. I have an AC15 for home use. If I need to be quiet, I go acoustic. YMMV.

DannyB and section2 like this.
  8. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    section2 likes this.
  9. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Collingwood, ON Canada
    I have both a Fender Mustang I and the Vox Pathfinder 10.
    The Mustang has great effects and the Pathfinder takes pedals well.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Henry and section2 like this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well I don't like either of these Fender or Vox amps.
    Imo the Roland Cubes, Roland Blues and Boss Katana are the best sounding / best value for $$ low watt solid state amps. At least you get decent sounding cleans and light overdrive from them :)

Gregor, section2, DannyB and 2 others like this.
  11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Marshall Code25.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

section2 likes this.
  12. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Roland Cubes are great with low resale value so you can get-em cheap.

13. dmunson

dmunson Electromatic

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Considering your original options, I would go with the Vox. The primary reason being that it's so simple to use. Very basic, but effective tone controls, vibrato, and sometimes reverb.
    I have a Pathfinder 15R from 2004 that has been doing a great job from day one. I've had several players mistake it for one of Vox's tube models.

DannyB and section2 like this.
  14. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a pathfinder and it's ok, sounds pretty good for the price I paid as it was second hand, never played a mustang so can't comment.

15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I think there are two Pathfinders... the 15R, which is older, and a 10W version that's more recent.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

16. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Thanks for the recommendations!

17. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I have a Fender Champion 20 with an upgraded Jensen speaker. After having several other small practice amps, I have come back to the little Champ. The bang for the buck is really good. Not only do you have many different amp models, but it also has a great digital effects section. All for less than 100 bucks!

18. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Pathfinder is a great little practice amp. Love mine, it stays in the garage for when playing in the house is off limits

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice