Powerjet and treble bleed issues....

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by brudr, Apr 17, 2019.

1. brudr

brudr Electromatic

Jan 17, 2011
    West Virginia
    Hey folks,

Rare poster here, but recently acquired two new Gretsch' after joining an alt- country/Americana artist and am greatly enjoying both instruments (2011 6128T Powerjet Firebird and 2018 5622T Centerblock). While I love both instruments, both suffer extreme high end roll off with the master volumes (and individual volume roll offs) rendering them virtually useless. After researching here, I ordered the treble bleed cap recommended on the TV Jones site and installed that on the Powerjet's master volume. There is no appreciable difference after this mod. My question(s) would be ....do I need to put a cap on each volume pot to make it more effective? Are the pots themselves a potential issue (CTS500K)? Any info/insights would be appreciated.

2. brudr

brudr Electromatic

Jan 17, 2011
    West Virginia
    Mods....my apologies if this was posted in the wrong section.

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I did it on a 6120 on the mv and it worked really well, same for the factory one on my Jet. What values did you use?

4. brudr

brudr Electromatic

Jan 17, 2011
    West Virginia
    I used the .001uF Orange Drop (purchased from TV Jones) . Original pups are TV Jones Powertrons

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    As I understand it you have to put a capacitor on ech of the volume pots.

6. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    You have to add it everywhere you expect it to do something - and it only does anything if the volume is not at maximum.

0.001 µF is a pretty common capacity for this purpose, but it doesn't have to fit everywhere. Does it change at all, is it just not enough?

If it does nothing, maybe the capacitor itself doesn't work - did you measure it? Some multimeters can do, some can't. As they're handy a lot of times and not that expensive, I'd buy one that measures capacities if you don't have one already.

As capacitors are cheap standard items (... don't get me started on all that voodoo out there - there is something cool about ancient electronic components, but they won't affect sound any different than today's...) ... just buy a few, in a range from like 0.1 nF (0.0001 µF) to about 5 nF (0.005 µF), so you can try out a few. This is up to one's taste in the end.

Some add a resistor in line or parallel to the cap, but I wouldn't start there, I'd try with a capacitor only and only add more stuff when this doesn't work out like I want it to.

I have capacitors in my Tele's volumes (which are individual at the moment), but I never played her without, they were there and I had no other use for'em.

Clearly, every volume pot can be equipped with a treble bleed, but I'd start with the one I use most, do the research and development on this one and see if I even need another one - maybe a bleed circuit at the master volume is enough.

The individual volumes may offer something else anyway: as far as I know, they're wired in reverse (meaning the hot wire from the pickup is connected to the wiper), if so, you can exchange hot from pickup with hot to switch/jack/whereever it goes and will likely recognize a little more treble while turning down, as in this case the pickup's total load is constant at 500 k and doesn't change when turning the knob - which it does in reverse wiring. Downside of this: turn one down all the way and everything will be silent. If that doesn't bother you, there's no reason to do it in reverse in the first place, or to keep it like that if it is.

7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi brudr,

Here's the solution I use :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That said, I suspect a problem somewhere on your gear, or on your guitar wiring : you shouldn't have that treble loss if you already added a treble bleed...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

DennisC likes this.
  8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I run my primary volumes wide open so never bothered with with a bypass on those, only the master volume. I use a resistor in series with the cap, and that warms well for me.

DennisC likes this.
  9. brudr

brudr Electromatic

Jan 17, 2011
    West Virginia
    @Dennis c - it does not change at all ...sweep down to 9/8 and all treble is lost. As most folks notice some difference (if not dramatic) it is likely there is something a miss in my gear/soldering skills etc... Thanks for all the details, folks! . I will start with perhaps a new cap just to see if I have a dud and then go from there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice