Power Supplies Isolated $120 plus or Good Old Truetone 1 Spot $20

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by rcboals, Mar 3, 2019.

1. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I have been using the $20.00 Truetone 1 Spot (I have two) without any issues or problems for several years ever since I started using pedals pretty much. I went on a kick a couple years ago and bought a Strymon El Capistan and was told I needed the isolated type power supply because the Strymon took a lot of mA. So I bought the Voodoo Lab mounted it under the board and proceeded to make a very fancy pedaltrain pedalboard with 14 pedals 1/4" in/outs I went all out. I got off that kick and went back to a Pedaltrain Metro 20 x 8 sized board and back to the $20.00 Truetone 1 Spot. Now I am putting a board together with a pedaltrain classic jr 18 x 12.5. The following pedals Boss GE7, Boss CE2, Boss DM3, Boss Tr2, Obscura Delay, Polara Reverb, BYOC Crown Jewel, BYOC Tri Boost, PolyTune Mini. Total 9 pedals current draw for all pedals way under 400 mA. The $20.00 Truetone 1 spot puts out 1700 mA I hooked them up and for fun put three more pedals Mr.Black Deluxe Reverb/Trem, Maxon Cs505, another Polytune just to ad more mA. Turned them all on at the same time except for the tuners. I had absolutely no problems no noise none nada zip worked as well with 11 pedals as with the 3 I use for praise team worship every Sunday. I love buying stuff but I just can't see any real advantage to buying a $$$ isolated type power supply over the simple one I have used over the years except when I did the 14 pedal thing. So been researching opinions and thought why not get the fancy one what's $150.00? Then I read this article by Mr. Black outside of the F bomb used a lot it is a very interesting read. I concluded after reading the whole blog that a fancy power supply in my case is a waste of money. https://www.mrblackpedals.com/blogs...re-than-you-need-to-know-about-power-supplies

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    What powersupply? His one and only personal one? Was it really isolated, or does it merely claim so on the box? Was it defective?

A daisychain capable of enough amps(Ampere) will work fine 95% of the time. The other 5% are locations with faulty and old wiring.
    Why risk it after you invested in so many pedals?

Henry and Robbie like this.
  3. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    i use isolated power supply more for convenience than anything. its easy to connect, neat and out of the way. then plug the power supply into a battery back up conditioner serge protector for an additional layer along with my amp and computer. prone to power outages here so it gives me time to switch over to generator power or just shut down without everything just going dead.

4. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I too am wondering if I should invest in a power supply. My current pedalboard is also powered by a Truetone One Spot, and never had an issue.
    Comp (5mA)>Drive 1 (10mA)>Drive 2 (8mA)>Tuner (50mA)>Preamp (100mA)>Delay (250mA)>Tremolo (50mA)>Reverb (100mA)= 573mA

Pedalboar.jpg

db62 likes this.
  5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I generally find whether I need an isolated power supply or not more dependent on what pedals I'm trying to power than the environmentals. This can manifest itself by either the amperage requirements, mix of voltages, mix of polarity required, and the most annoying: pedals that are noisy when not on their own tap.

Add to that the convenience and neatness of not running daisy chains & a single standard and durable AC lead going into the board w/ no wall wart at the plug and the additional filtering that you have w/ the quality power supplies it's usually a slam dunk for me. I have yet to regret any of the nice power supply purchases I've made for any setup that has more than 4 or so pedals. I'll still use an Ojai on a Nano+ setup when I've got one to spare. It just makes things cleaner, simpler and more worry free.

6. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    "powered by a Truetone One Spot, and never had an issue."
    I think we have an answer. :) Why try to fix a problem we don't have? I seem to want to prevent anticipated problems before they happen that never have happened to me. This time I will wait until I actually have a problem that needs fixed.

TSims1 and rockinforJesus like this.
  7. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I hate wall warts so the Voodoo Labs supplies I use are a God send. No more hum or buzz and the pedals are overall a lot quieter. Before I use a wall wart I rather buy batteries...:)

Henry likes this.
  8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    While I use the One Spot wall wart for one pedalboard, I have a Truetone One Spot CS7 isolated PS for the main one. It's dead quiet and powers two TC NOVA pedals, a comp, two OD's and a tuner. I'm going to get the CS6 for another board I'm putting together.

If you actually need more then the wall wart, get it's big brother. If not, keep doing what you've been doing.

Henry likes this.
  9. I’ve been using BBE Supa Chargers for many years with no issues. They are less expensive and work great.

10. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Sid Nitzerglobin, I enjoy your answers your posts on Gretsch Talk.
    Seems like I am looking for a solution for a problem I don't currently have. Since I am not having any issues or using any real BooTiki or high mA high noise pedals and the Onespot seems to work without any issues, my common sense says stay with what works. The GAS sense which for me a lot of times results in nonsense and $$$$. :) So looking at the reasons I might want to do it, most are just cosmetic and convenience. To power 10 or more pedals without any being daisy chained with their own isolation would require a pretty spendy power supply and ad about 2 1/2 more lbs to the board. So I still end up with a daisy chain of some sort. Just writing this all out to convince myself go with my common sense. The GAS will pass after all it is natures way of relief.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    But wait.......the most EXPENSIVE thing is always the right thing!!!!!

ALWAYS!!!!!!!

Plus......I mean let’s be honest. You don’t want the cool kids see you pull out your little Fisher Price power supply do you? ;)

Hahahahahahaha........rock ON Brother Boals!!

rcboals likes this.
  12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Definitely, if it's working for you there's no reason to change ;)

13. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    "You don’t want the cool kids see you pull out your little Fisher Price power supply do you? "

Bro Tony, That is a whole other issue isn't? I don't think I will ever get completely over what other people may think of me, and vice versa what I think about them, at least as long as I am walking on this sod.

TSims1 likes this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Hahahaha! And my wife always tells me I should care MORE about what other people think! Lol. ;)

15. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Here it is all powered up with a OneSpot and 10 multi plug daisy chain. Quiet as a church mouse. I must of got the pedal order right? :)

Attached Files:

16. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Maybe you don’t experience any hiss cause all your hi-end is gone? :D

17. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    When I need the hi-end hiss to remind me of my hi-end $$$$ short lived pedal daze, raising the sliders on the GE-7 will give me that hi end squeal and hiss when needed. ;) If that isn't enough hi-end hiss cranking the treble,frequency and presence knobs with the germanium toggle on the Crown Jewel will also bring back that hi-end hiss and will duplicate some of that $$$$ bootique mystery. :)

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice