Potential NGD

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Alathea, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I guess I'm too old because a Falcon should not have a tension bar Bigsby and doesn't the newer thinner one have a tension bar Bigsby? I'll go one farther and say any proline should not have a tension bar Bigsby. Granted that is an individual choice I am sure others like them, for my money, I don't and won't pay that kind of cash for one.

OP here is a thought if you are concerned with the size of a Falcon but can't find one to play go play some acoustics. I figure if you can handle that you can handle a Falcon.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Flouswa likes this.
  2. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

Here's a link to the one I'm referring to, probably should have posted this to begin with:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...136t-white-falcon-players-edition-with-bigsby

And yes, if you can handle a full sized acoustic, a Falcon should be fine for most. The only thing that concerns me in my situation is the weight, not so much the size. I have an old shoulder injury that makes the weight a bit of an issue, but it does depend on how well balanced it is too.

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Nice, if the shoulder bothers you it is possible to sling a guitar off the opposite shoulder only takes a little bit to get used to, but you do have to keep a hand on the guitar so it doesn't slide off.

4. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

I think I'll try that with a cheaper guitar first LOL!!! (I'm a clutz...)

Bertotti likes this.
  5. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I put T Armonds in this old 04’ Pro Jet replacing the original mini humbuckers.
    Turned out pretty darn great.
    6BCB44A7-8446-4E21-A834-BD6EA9276895.jpeg

6. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Lol. I REALLY wanted to (BF) but I just couldn't swing that now
    Im on a mostly fixed income. This TX return is the first in awhile where I can pay some stuff off, have some savings, and still have some left over for me after family stuff. I shot for the middle. My Gretsch ivory Annie wl be here Thursday!
    Does anyone know if the Japan Gretsch's use a softer spring in the trem than the pro.jets? I've got a soft spring in order for the Jet but I'm wondering if I should get another one.

Henry and Bertotti like this.
  7. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    That gold top looks much better in a normal picture than in a display pic on a website. I almost got a gold anniversary model with cherry back and sides, but didnt because the gold looked 'dull'. Darn....now you're kill'n me Smalls!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this. Its hard living somewhere that is larger than a small town or city, but not large enough to carry a lot of more boutique stores. I don't have the money to buy, say, 2 models and return one like Ive sometimes seen suggested on various forums, no matter how generous the return policy may be, and even the 'nice' music store, local run shop, won't order in a special for trying just to send it back, and id hate to suggest it to them. They aren't hurting for money as a store but they are a local family and I can put a face to asking for a 2000 dollar guitar that I might not actually buy. Its supposed to be 33 here tomorrow so if Fed Ex drops off in the later morning like normal it should only sit outside for an hour or so after I get off of work at the library. Then Ill let it warm up for an hour or three, then Ill crack the case.

Since this is a Japanese model vs an electro, should I worry about it much, humidity and whatnot? I have a Martin solid top that I don't baby too much and Ive had no issues but I don't really know what the relative humidity is in my house. Our 20 some year old central furnace has a humidity attachment but it doesn't monitor, it justs adjusts to whatever percentage you set it to with a dial. Im wondering if I should get a cheap humidistat for my basement corner room and maybe a humidifier?

Bertotti likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Check your humidity first and you don't need to look for a guitar specific one as soon as it is sold as an instrument hygrometer the price goes up. I bought some greenhouse monitors they work great. I got two from Moost for 9.99 each. Look around.

9. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Well, here she is...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Henry, audept and Pine Apple Slim like this.
  10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Can't lose with either of those. If it were me I'd pick the grey, but only because it better matches my personality,

11. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Looks like I was a few seconds too late on that post...I love the cream too! You did good!

12. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    It sounds great, and it's nice to be able to to play it acoustically if I want to try something quick, too, without putting it in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice