Potential NGD

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Alathea, Feb 26, 2019.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm surprised that the silver blue appeals to me so much, beautiful guitar!

2. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    The other color option for this model is Gramma refrigerator green.

I wanted to shy away from Gretsch orange, etc, even though I love that color. My Jet is firebird red. I'm not feeling the only 4 color choices in the electromatic line, and I wanted to treat myself.

audept likes this.
  3. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    Welcome to the forum Alathea, and the world of Gretsch.
    Ain't it sweet. My advice is to, take it nice and slow.
    Play what you already have, read up and listen to everything.
    Learn learn and then learn some more. Here comes the the hard part.

Save your lunch money and every thing you can. Collect beer cans or have yard sales...then.......Buy a White Falcon!!

In the mean time, check out Wildwood Guitars, for serious shopping.
    I live near two Guitar Centers, And bought from Wildwood.
    Great staff with a lot more section. Not to mention the savings.
    And the window shopping is fantastic.
    Personally, I prefer white.

It's the most awesome of all time color for a Falcon!......:D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Flouswa likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I'm in the Azure metallic and silver camp. But the question is which can you visualize having in your hands in a year or two. There are some colors I love at first and imagine what it would be like to have long term. if I can't visualize being happy with it long term I find I a color I can visualize that with.

5. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Lol, thanks! I've had my Jet for about a year, and a 5420 for awhile before that. It was the older one with Gretsch buckers though, and I didn't like them. I've been a Setzer fan for years, and I love roots rock/ country Rock during it's transitional phase from country and blues. I also love bands that play unconventional guitars in harder Rock settings, like Gore Gore Girls. (rocking band by the way, and they still do occasional shows).

I'd love a Falcon but I'm a girthy guy and I'm afraid it might be too big/deep to play.

Flouswa likes this.
  6. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Good point, Bertotti. That cream white is growing on me.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    The Falcon's measure 2 3/4"deep. That's really not to bad.
    Happy huntin'.

8. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    What can anyone tell me about a Broadcaster? I've seen a few of those, too, but don't know much about them other than Gretsch promos stuff.

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    There are center-block Falcons (6139-CB) that are the same size (16" lower bout) as the 6120 series and only 1.75" depth.

T Bone, Flouswa and Alathea like this.
  10. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Cool, audept. Thanks for the heads up.

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Personally I'd go w/ the Caddy '57 Duo Jet or one of the Annis (it'd be a really tough choice for me between the colors, they all look great to me).

I've not had the opportunity to check out the T-Armonds in any guitar yet but I would be really surprised if it didn't provide some pretty significant sonic variety to the ProJet based on my experience of other DeArmond style pickups. Even my HS FilterTron equipped 6128T and TVJ Classic +/Classic Penguin sound significantly different than my 5435 w/ a TVJ Classic +/ Classic combo to me. My ProJet w/ TVJs seems significantly raunchier when going for crunch/dirt and a bit less "pretty" when playing cleaner stuff.

Just my .02 though ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  12. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Good point, Sid.

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You played the 6118 Anni and liked it. Have you played a flacon yet? If your willing to spend the cash I would find a Falcon to try and the Broadcaster then make your final decision. Up here I don't have that option and generally go on gut feel. But if you already have the 6118 stuck in your head it may be the one to go for.

14. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Unfortunately no, neither shop in Lincoln has anything above the electromatic line and won't order unless there is a sale first. I did have my jet with me to compare sounds to the 5420 and 5622 though.

15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Wow, but it doesn't surprise me you don't find Falcons in Sioux Falls either. Although they did have a couple of country gentlemen. I really liked that double cut even though I don't have a use for the mutes it sounded great. They did have the Azure metallic one as well also very nice and the two versions of the gold and red one with gold top red back and sides and red top gold back and sides also nice guitar. Can't really go wrong with any of them. I wonder if you could find one in Omaha but that would entail a trip. I get to Minneapolis but by the time I am done working I have no desire to go anywhere, so I understand not wanting to do something like that. Either way Good Luck!

16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    There's a silver/blue 6118 listed on this forum.

17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Annie's should look like green tea ice cream. Just sayin

larryb likes this.
  18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Alathea, welcome. You can't go wrong with any Anni. They are superb instruments. Don't hesitate,

19. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I like the way you think LOL (I hope he does realize that while this forum is very informative, it's full of enablers as well!)

Bertotti likes this.
  20. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

There is a thinner bodied Falcon available now, I'm hoping to go play one myself and see how it feels. Unfortunately it only comes in the traditional white or black.

larryb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice