Potential NGD

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Alathea, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    I have a red Pro Jet, 2018, and I love it too death. I have some money coming that doesn't require being used for something else, and I'm looking at another Gretsch. I can't decide if I want a hollow or semi hollow bodied like a 5422 or 5622-like, would blacktops sound different enough in a hollow body vs my Jet, or hilotrons be able to play both surf, and rock. I really like the size of the jet, though, for comfort. I would buy this outright.

To complicate things, I have a chance to get a Gretsch 2nd DuoJet 57 in cadillac green and gold, with TV deArmond pickups, and split the payments up into three. If I was to go that route, would it be sonically and otherwise different enough to justify it and my current jet, or is it just a more expensively appointed Jet? Would it be a replacement, or a complimentary instrument?

I play a wide mix of things- rockabilly, surf, Rock, Acdc, and some melodic neoclassicsl tapping. I have an SG, and a super strat already, along with my Jet. I just don't want to get something that is basically the same guitar, and there are no duo jets near me to play.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Alathea! The Jet with TVJ T-Armonds will have a very different sound to the guitars you have already IMO.
    welcome mat 102.jpg

Sid Nitzerglobin, new6659 and Merc like this.
  3. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Thanks, Audept. Turns out I had a login here already and I must have never first posted!

I'm glad to hear that it will be different. If I got a guitar that was the same as one I already have my wife would never do giving me crap about it. Lol. I figure that Duos are supposed to be mostly hollow on the inside anyway, and I won't have to fight with the dimensions as much as with the hollows, so win win. Being bigger around the middle (me), deeper bodies are more awkward for me to hold and play, especially sitting down.

Are pro jets changed the same as the Duos, or are they more chambered like a Les Paul?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  4. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I only have experience with Duo-Jets. Plenty of Pro-Jet owners on here, somebody will be able to answer that question for you soon.

5. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    thanks, Audept.

6. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Here's my 6128-TCG with mods (standard Gretsch Dynas swapped out for TV Jones T-Armonds and Melita bridge changed to Tru-Arc brass bar bridge) I sold it to a close friend a few years back because I owed him a big favor and he wanted it so bad.
    GUITARS XMAS 2010 006.jpg

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Welcome in and, GET THAT CADDY GREEN JET!;)

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome friend . Good luck on the decision

9. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

For me it's real tough to beat a Caddy Green Duo w/Dynas. TV's or SD's, even sweeter. Howdy Al, good to have you here. I consider NE home. Frank Solich identified my 1st hernia...43 years ago (figured the 2nd one out all by myself). Heading back for a visit in a handful of weeks.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That is gorgeous!
    That's is a great suggestion for the OP.
    OP I was thinking about one of the hollows you mentioned but I would pull the blacktops and put in T'Armonds or Hilo's. That's just me if I went that route.

audept likes this.
  11. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Fun. Hopefully the snow is gone. Would TVs , like classics, in an electromatic semi hollow or jet be a good compromise if I want to try to save some money? I don't really like single coils, so I'd like to stay away from single coils soundin filters if I can. I know, lots of questions. Guess I'm looking for thoughts on real world applications and limitations. I'm more of a raunchy player than clean.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    If you don’t want singles and already have a solid body I would go for the Hollowbody. They sound great and are different enough. Blacktops are nice but I prefer the filters or TV version of filters.

13. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    I have a bit of sunken cost fallacy problem. Will a jet with TVs or a semi hollow be different enough to justify, or will I miss something if I sell my current jet, my first Gretsch.

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
  15. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Thanks, Bertotti. I know my Jet is pretty versatile, I just want to buy another Gretsch that sounds different enough to justify its purchase. Im going to a local store to see if they have a 5622 available, to see how it feels. I really don't want another guitar with Blacktops- not that they aren't good, but, duplication in sound, you know. The factory second Duo Jet (that I can't test) just has me worried that it will sound like my existing Jet. Unless there is a difference(s) in the Duo line vs. the Pro Jet that make it so gobsmackingly different I don't want to get it strictly on looks or because its a 'nicer guitar'.

Bertotti likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Just wanted to keep it real, that link is pretty good. I understand about not wanting to have the same sound. Which is probably why I would look at a Hollowbody, can you take your guitar with you to compare them? Same amp different guitars have a store person play both for you as well. I never realized how different my guitars sound out front as over the top of them. Hell, even the same guitar with different strings sound different. Do you know what sound you are looking for? That would help the people here make recommendations a lot easier. For instance, I have two Strats one is Basswood, Linden, and one is Alder I think. One has hot noiseless pups the other overwound tex mex pups they couldn't sound more different to me and now one has flats while the other has rounds, TI jazz swings and bebops. Really cool to have two guitars with a feel I love but tonally so different. My Penguin is like neither of them. Variety is the spice of life eh! Chasing a Hollowbody would give a change in tone but if it is enough of a change is all to your ears. Personally, I would chase one with Filters HS or TV or singles which I think you ruled out. Blacktops are to close to full-size HBs for my taste currently. But you may find the difference between hollow and solid with the blacktops to be just the ticket. Good Luck! My other thought or suggestion would be don't jump on a new axe just to have a new axe. I have been down that road and it just wasn't right in the long run. Find one you like and if needed save a bit longer for it.

new6659 likes this.
  17. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Lol, I hear ya. I'll be getting tires on the car today, and working this morning so I don't want to leave it in the car or carry it around outside-it's about 10* F right now.

I like surf, rockabilly but more modern, and classic rock (60s-90s). I'm itching for something different, but compatible with the jet. I don't really need another guitar since I play at home, but I love gretschs. Money is an object up to a point- I can handily afford an electromatic of some ilk, but can make payments on something nicer. If I go nicer- Duo or Falcon (there a blue one that just looks amazing) I just don't want to get it at home and then find out they it sounds like what I already have. I kinda want to know what the deal is with TVs and other nicer pickups than the blacktops. The guitars I'm looking at now are

DuoJet 59 TArmond
    Double jet (TV classics) Firebird
    Falcon (blue) '59 (Ray Butts hi fidelity)
    5622t (superhilo)

I'm a chubby guy, so I'm apprehensive about a hollow body and girth/comfort for mostly sitting playing. My local store will probably have the 5622 to play, iffy on the nicer ones.

Bertotti likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    well That Falcon is top of the line and will be quite different from your jet so my enabler side says got for broke and buy that blue Falcon! I don’t think to many here will disagree!

Flouswa likes this.
  19. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    I think I have it narrowed down. I think that a Jet, even a Duo, would sound too much like my ProJet, and it would always but me to have two guitars that were alike (while different) like that. I can always sell my ProJet down the road if I can find a Duo to play and hear. I played some 5420s and 5422s today, and they all sound Jet ish also (and kinda muddy- Peavy tube amp, low gain, clean and dirty channels, and some reverb) probably because they had the same Blacktop pickups, and like crap since Guitar Center treats their guitars like crap it was horribly tuned, the pickups were unevenly volumed, the action sucked, and the strings were binding in the nut and tuning stability was out the window. They love me there, though, know me by name, and never tell me I can't play something off the wall, even a 2500.00 ES335, and when I come in they don't bug me about buying something since they know that eventually I usually will. I played a 5622 at a different shop that takes much better care of their stuff and runs it all through their repair shop after receiving for a basic tweak and setup, and it sounded a lot better. It had the SuperHiLos, I believe. Different enough to convince me that it would compliment my Jet and not sound too much alike, but still cover most of the bases I like to play if I only take 1 guitar somewhere.

Based on that, and knowing that I COULD have walked out with one of those, but I would have had some money left over that COULD have gone for something nicer, I went looking for a higher class of hollowbody that I could afford that also wouldn't set me back 2500.00 or more, and I found one. Now the eternal age old question- Ivory or Silver-blue? LOL. Waiting on you guys- all in fun, but still, which of the two do you like color wise? Is the Silver Blue trying too hard? Its a 6118 Anniversary Players Edition with Gretsch HiSensitive filters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Love the grey, I would toss the blue pickguard to Dr.Milktruck, but I think I like the cream colour even better.

dak55 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice