Possible NAD Traynor guitar mate.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by cowmoo, Nov 24, 2019.

1. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    FDD695F4-0364-4C40-8F97-E7B6646E49B6.jpeg 820F4F93-8D4D-4E7C-AA76-5CF075CDDF3B.jpeg 6D92EC79-ED2A-4933-9B3A-D80B7CD55404.jpeg I’ve got this off a friend who’s had it in his lock up for years.
    I believe it’s an early 70’s model.
    Custom made cab in candy apple red.
    He’s given me a V30 to try instead of the 100w Tech 21 speaker in at the moment
    It’s got a few crusty noises but on the whole seems to work fine.
    Sounds great up loud.
    It didn’t like the Brain Seltzer but loved the Bad Monkey.
    If i keep it i’ll make a baffle for the front as that grille is hideous.
    I’ve been looking for a smaller amp to grab and go for ease.
    This may just fit the bill.
    He wants £200.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  2. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    I had a Traynor guitar mate a few years ago and I thought it sounded great especially cranked.
    agree about that speaker grille, makes it look like a cheapo 70s combo, get some grille cloth and it will transform it.
    bargain for £200.

cowmoo likes this.
  3. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Looks like a great amp - I certainly like the Traynors I have (or had).

I just found a Traynor Guitar Mate in a pawn shop for $24 CDN. A beginner's ss amp, but for that price it sounds better than it should! Good to keep in the shop for testing PU swaps or whatever.

Added: I was beaten to the draw re the Guitar Mate. Knew nothing about them but it made noise so I bought it

cowmoo likes this.
  4. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Cowmoo: I'm a big fan of early Traynor tube amps -- built like tanks. I have a 45W 1969 (ish) yba-1 Bassmaster head which sounds great for guitar through either a Celestion G100 or Eminence Wizard. A V30 should sound just fine in your amp. Have fun, but best to check the caps are OK.

new6659 and cowmoo like this.
  5. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    To clarify: the Guitar Mate I bought is not a tube amp: it's the solid state entry level amp. I only wish it was one of their tube amps at that price!!

cowmoo likes this.
  6. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Thanks!, I’m going to open it up this week and give it a once over, but my friend said he changed the smoothing caps before he fitted it into the cab. It does have a few crackles on the pots and the tremolo pulse is prominent when you’re not playing. There’s a bit of grounding buzz too so it will need some fettling with!!

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I really like that. Traynor, tubes and a custom made cab. What is not to love?

cowmoo likes this.
  8. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Not sure whether to get some nice wheat or oxblood cloth or use some leopard print fabric i have for the front baffle?? What dya’ll reckon?

9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Leopard! Beautiful cabinet.

cowmoo likes this.
  10. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Once upon a time these amps were very common in my part of the world. But, back then, everyone wanted something bigger than these. A YBA-1 Bass Master head and a 2 x 12 cabinet was often the go to rig. There was also a Guitar Master Head (with fans on the sides) which was often combined with the 8 x 10 cabinets Traynor made. You needed a Volkswagen van to move these around!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    cowmoo likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    How about some wicker?

cowmoo likes this.
  12. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Ooh that’s unique!! That could work. Like a big version of those fancy wicker plate mats.

13. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    There’s a lad down the road from me with a 70’s yba bassmaster for sale. He wants £400. I’m waiting until he sees sense an knocks off a ton!!

new6659 likes this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I was thinking old Mesa Boogies but a placemat works too! :D

[​IMG]

thunder58 and cowmoo like this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Depending on condition I think the price is not that bad.
    I was looking for an old yba1 a decade ago. You could find them on Craigslist for 300 bucks, then spend 150 to have it send over the Atlantic, pay another 150 import duties and you’d still need to adapt for the voltage.

new6659 and cowmoo like this.
  16. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Wicker! Definitely. Easy to work with, too.

If you decide to pass on it, point the guy my way, I'd have it in a shot.

cowmoo and Ricochet like this.
  17. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Gonna try at rehearsals tonight. If it keeps up with the drummer and doesn’t incinerate itself i’ll keep it ;)
    Still need to pick your brains over the bassman mods. This is something i’d like to do with that Marsh. Nice 1x12.

18. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Now that looks great!!

Ricochet and thunder58 like this.
  19. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ya got my vote

cowmoo likes this.
  20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Cowmoo, great amp! I am blessed to live in the heartland of Traynor love - the factory is about 15KM from my home. I have a pretty extensive late-1960s Traynor collection including an entire set of Guitar-Mates. That is the YGM-1 (15w), YGM-2 (no reverb, 15w), YGM-3 (Power up to 20w), YGM-4 Studio Mate (4x8" combo cab) and the excellent YGM-3 Re-Issue.

Yours is a mid 1970s amp. They sound great and their only vice is they are a bit heavy. Traynor builds them to withstand a nuclear war.

They must be a little rare in your part of the world. Grab it while you can if the price is good.

BTW, they LOVE Celestion Greenbacks.

cowmoo, Hammerhands and Ricochet like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice