Poll: Fretboard of choice

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Merc, Nov 27, 2019.

What’s your fretboard wood of choice?

1. Maple

9 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. Rosewood

19 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Ebony

49 vote(s)
    61.3%
  4. Walnut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Laurel

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Pau Ferro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Wood species not listed

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I have to say, the guitar I used Rocklite 'Ebano' on came out very nice, I'd defy you to be able to tell it's not the real deal by looking, feeling and playing it.
    stars1.jpg

The only way to tell is to wipe it with acetone, real ebony will bleed color.

Only drawback is that it costs more than ebony.

2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks. It’s a 2010 semi solid Vox 55 made in Korea. The semi solid was the only production Vox out of that generation that came with ebony. My guess is it’s probably grade B ebony. The rest of the board has no streaking and tighter grain. Although not beautiful as @G5422T Gretsch fretboard

09342AD2-890A-4402-8114-2FE5698DC878.jpeg

Charlie westside and G5422T like this.
  3. Petrified. It lasts forever

Merc likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I like all the above you listed, you need all the above choice. I do like all of them, I do not care for heavily dyed wood. I would much rather see the natural color and grain. In the end, I voted rosewood.

Charlie westside and Merc like this.
  5. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Nothing like a fine cut of maple for teles and strats. But I prefer rosewood for other guitars.

Merc likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I don't care the kind of wood from a playability or tone standpoint, but like the fine dense grain of ebony best.

BUT, for certain Strats and Teles, maple all the way.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  7. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Ebony's my favorite, but I own very few guitars that actually have it. By far, most are rosewood.

Maple boards are funny. If you think about it, there's relatively few guitars that come with that, and most say Fender on the headstock. It's kinda their thing really. My Tele is a maple and I love it. My Strat is a rosewood and I almost never play it.

I've been thinking of swapping out that Strat neck for years. One of these days I might just get around to doing it!

8. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Blondes for me. Of course, with my Gretschs that's not a choice. 2 ebony, 4 rosewood but the fretboard wood does not determine preference. Not like Fender, rosewwood just doesn't feel quite right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Generally I prefer non-tropical hardwoods like maple for environmental reasons, but it does depend on the guitar.

Charlie westside, new6659 and Merc like this.
  10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Thanks, much appreciated. A lot of work to get a fretboard to this level, but it's one of those things that I enjoy doing when I'm in the mood.

Those pics of my RI -58 Gent's board show what two light applications of F-one, and then two light coats of raw linseed oil will do to a board, with proper application and dry/cure time. A lot of "rubbing/polishing" involved in the process.

There's numerous varieties of ebony, and some do have lighter streaking areas in the grain.

Gretsch doesn't say exactly what ebony that they use, but here's a few pics of the ebony board on my 6120-59QM. Two F-one coats only for now.

This board is a lighter black, and has some nice lighter streaking in the grain. Great feeling board, and Mother Nature's hand in creating its look.

20191128_132836.jpg 20191128_132741.jpg

No dye from what I can tell, and the raw linseed oil treatment would darken it up a little and give it that sheen, but I'm leaving it alone for now.

11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Being an avid woodworker when I was young, I played with a lot of walnut. One of my favorite woods too.

Typically tight grained, hard, various shades of brown, and can be finished up as smooth as you want it to be.

I'm actually surprised that walnut hasn't been used more over the years for a fretboard wood. It meets all the needs of a quality fretboard material.

I'm guessing that the higher price and lower volume of Tropical type woods finally pushed guitar makers to take a look at Walnut.

A walnut board is a beautiful thing! Shoot, if I was ever able to order a Custom Shop Gretsch, I would highly consider having walnut the wood choice for the fretboard.

new6659 and Merc like this.
  12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I'm fine with most ,but Ebony would be my first choice.

Merc and G5422T like this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    On a Strat I would prefer a maple-board, Everything else would be ebony for me.

Charlie westside, Merc and G5422T like this.
  14. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Ebony just boring like black platic would be. It's also colder to me than the warmer tone of rosewood.

Btw refret old ebony board is ... where is this recent thread about chainsaw massacrer?

Merc likes this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    A little off topic of fretboard wood but on target of Walnut. The other day I saw this used Custom Virage with a Walnut top and mahogany back. I love the look of it. It would be nice to see more Walnut tops.

5794782B-5000-4EF6-A374-F6E73C38C753.png

16. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT
    This is torrified maple,

[​IMG]

Nice colorful rosewood here,

[​IMG]

Ebony on my Eastman T486

[​IMG]

17. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    I actually like the Richlite fret boards, people get so hung up on old school things when it comes to guitars and poo poo anything new that comes along, yet can't live without newest iPhone, computer, or electrical gadget and will argue how much better the new and improved models are??

The Richlite boards I have played are dark, smooth, and rock solid and probably still will be a 1000 years from now, but that's just me.

On another note, most of the ebony tree is actually white, don't know why companies that use maple for their boards wouldn't look into using the white ebony instead??

drmilktruck, Henry and Merc like this.
  18. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    For me it is ebony on Gretsch with either a 12 or 9.5 radius, rosewood on a Strat with 9.5 radius and Maple on a Telecaster with 9.5 or 7.25 radius

johnny g, G5422T and Merc like this.
  19. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I hope my next ebony board is all white or marbled.

Henry and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice