Polishing poli

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by slickfaster, Oct 22, 2019.

1. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    AECAA6B4-657E-42FD-A29F-C10BCA6BA8CC.jpeg the back of my 2013 Hot Rod is severely scuffed. Looks like it was laid atop a washer on spin cycle. Not sure if it’s poli or laq.. Was gonna try a car buffer but if it’s poli will it polish?
    Anyone here have experience on this procedure?
    Please advise...

2. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Nope
    Depending how deep the scuff marks are would be the deciding factor for me. If I could get it level without burning through the finish is key.
    Take this advice with the disclaimer that if you burn through the finish you're looking at a refinish.

Micro-mesh pads...Work through wet sanding with progressively finer grit micro-mesh pads until you get some sheen back. This will level the finish and get you on the road to shine. Be aware this is where you may sand through if the scuffs are too deep or you're too aggressive. Then work through a good polishing compound regimen to get the gloss back.

A quick fix that isn't nearly as risky is just work through hand polishing with a three step polishing system. Although this will not get the surface level. You'll get shine but you will still see the grooves and dings. I like the D'Addario kit. First step is a mild abrasive compound, then wax, and finish with a high sheen cleaner. Works best if the surface is relatively flat.

https://www.daddario.com/products/a...s/polishes-cloths/instrument-care-essentials/

slickfaster, Merc and ronbo like this.
  3. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I use 3m Finesse-It ll. If you use this pad (Stew Mac) it's about 30 seconds work. If they are too deep then it won't get it all though. But this pad did a job in less than a minute that I spent hours trying to figure out prior. I tried wet sanding up to 2000 grit, tried compounding etc. Still didn't make it nice. Then I tried the pad and ... bam.. done in seconds! I couldn't believe it, I'd had the pad laying around for a couple years.
    [​IMG]

RG7X, j.s.c, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  4. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Poly is a lot easier to fix as its usually thicker and more durable. Secret is to wet sand first with 1500, working up to 3000. Then polish it up by hand or with a car buffer and auto polish. You should be able to make it look like new in a couple of hours.

Laquer can be a little trickier as its a lot thiner and not as durable. If you are not careful you risk sanding right through the clear coat and ruining the finish.

j.s.c, new6659 and slickfaster like this.
  5. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    @swivel Does the pad use product or is it just a dry process?

6. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I used it with the white 3M Finesse -It 2 polish product. It literally made it look like the red body in the photo.

7. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    Ahh I now understand... thanks

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I did a poly Telecaster body last weekend. I was trading it in and wanted to clean it up to make it look it's best. I wet sanded with P1500 through to P3000, then machine polished (a dual action polisher I have for detailing cars) in two stages; compound, then a lighter polish. It looked fantastic afterwards (nearly changed my mind about trading it in).

Don't think this picture does it full justice, but you get the idea hopefully:

Buff Tele front.jpg
    Tele Standard.jpg

DaddyDog, G5422T and new6659 like this.
  9. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I had the same hot rod with the same type of scratches... tried several products and the best was Meguiars Scratch-X 2.0 with the buffer drill bit (from Auto Zone). That 3M Finesse pad looks really promising though.

Aymara likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Consider leaving it alone. People can't see it, and unless you change the way you play, it will just be an issue again. And polishing will accelerate the wear

Aymara likes this.
  11. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    ... is, what I used on my Harley ;) I had superb results polishing manually without a machine.

RG7X likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice