Join Gretsch-TalkToday

Pole adjustments

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Scottishblue13, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Scottishblue13

Scottishblue13 Gretschie

There are a lot of tips regarding adjusting the mini humbuckers but I've never heard of people adjusting filtertrons, megatrons etc.

Anybody adjust theirs and Why or why not?

2. ampe

ampe Country Gent

i thought there was some scematic going around how to put them

my hs filtertrons came pre-adjusted, or they weren't screwd in properly and i think that's how it should be
    eather way, it sounds good

3. Scottishblue13

Scottishblue13 Gretschie

Yeah that's how mine came too.
    I'm not unhappy with my filters or megatrons but just curious if anyone played about and had opinions about adjusting them

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

I think this is the graphic of which you speak. ;)
    This may be meant for TV Jones, but I'm sure it would be helpful for Filters in general.

Tara (as well as others) posted this a while back. TARA, where are ya, girl?

height.gif

6. Ricochet

Ricochet Friend of Fred

Not to sound like the grumpy bastard I am but... IMO that diagram is far too generic with the variety in TV/filter pickups, and is certainly not accounting for personal taste or style. You might as well eye it, which can get you surprisingly close.

Most of my pickups are a dimes width lower on the bass-side, also I like to follow the radius of the fretboard with the polepieces, with the Es being level with the PU bobbins flatwork(I'm not looking for twang). Try to adjust your pickups by ear, if just for ****s and giggles.

7. dilver

dilver Synchromatic

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  8. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

I recently went through a number of transactions with TV Jones and they suggested just leaving the screws alone and adjusting only the height of the pickup itself. Seems to work great for me.

9. mike fried

mike fried Gretschie

The strings used can have a big impact on how the pole pieces should be adjusted for equal volume (which is what you'd adjust them for). For example, a plain third string is much louder than a wound one, therefore its pole piece should likely be adjusted to be further from the string. Fourth strings are very often lowest in volume, so their pole piece is raised the highest. Once you "tune in" to hearing it, you can easily hear a half-turn difference or less. If you're concerned about losing your original settings, just keep track of and jot down the amount of rotation you give each pole piece! As are all pickup adjustments, this is best done by ear, and the difference can be significant, especially with FilterTron-types (tedious but worth the effort IMO). Headphones are great for this procedure, but not necessary - just play loud enough to completely overcome the guitar's acoustic sound but not much louder as your hearing sensitivity decreases the louder you play.

Adjusting the pickup's overall height will affect the tonal balance and dynamic response: as a rule, closer to the strings = brighter/edgier/less "body" sound and the inverse is true. Most guitars/string sets like the bass side slightly lower than the treble side, especially the neck pickup. I've found that this adjustment is best done while playing through whatever amp you use the most at moderate volume; the speakers can affect the tonal balance a lot.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  10. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

You ment Magna'Trones, they have non-adjustable magnet poles, adjusted and fixed by TV Jones.
    If you want to see how he adjusted them, I can take a picture.

11. Scottishblue13

Scottishblue13 Gretschie

Interesting, thanks!

12. Scottishblue13

Scottishblue13 Gretschie

No I ment megatrons as on my corvette.

13. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Ah, Corvette's Mega' Filters! Sorry.

14. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

+1 !
    works well for TV's and HS filters too...