Plek machine setup?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by freddyfingers, May 17, 2019.

Hi all. I was curious if anyone has had a guitar put through the Plek process, and what the results were. Was it better than any hand set up? Does it work the same for gretsch, or other archtops with floating bridges? The closest one to me is about three hours away, not an easy drive to go and check things out.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I had 2 guitars plekd. One probably didnt need it but the other did, the guitar was in great shape but clearly played a lot. The PLEK may have saved it from a refret (or bought a few years) - there were divets in the lower frets.

The action now is fabulous.

Keep in mind that PLEK is just a tool. It won't do much good unless used by a good luthier who understands the machine. After all, all Gibsons supposedly get plekd at the factory.

Rusty Silver and Uncle Daddy like this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I've had a few done, and the result was great. Remember the nut slots may need adjustment after.

3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Apparently they offer different levels of plek'ing.

4. I have different levels of guitars in need.

Ricochet likes this.
  5. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I guess the real value of pleking is they measure the frets with the guitar strung up. Which takes into account all the influences on the board. Then adjust the fret tops accordingly.
    I found this out be cause I questioned if they could do it less expensively If I just shipped them a Fender neck to do.

6. MickeyB

MickeyB Electromatic

Jul 24, 2017
    Birmingham England UK
    I have bought two Gibson Memphis archtops which were supposed to have been pleked. Yes, the frets were beautifully level but........ the damn things were virtually flat on the top!!!!! I had to ask my tech to reprofile them - on a £3000 guitar!!!!! I don't know if Gretsch do it differently/better but I was not impressed.

new6659 likes this.
  7. EC Strat

EC Strat Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    Same thing happened with my Strat. Had it pleked and they just lobbed off the top. It’s level and action is SUPER low. But the frets need to be rounded

new6659 likes this.
  8. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I have had a number of guitars PLEK'd by Ian Weston in Ottawa. All were improved significantly and some feel like the necks were breathed on by angels. Ian is a very good luthier and in his hands, the PLEK is a magical tool.

9. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    My Gretsch has been plekd by a good luthier... As he said, plek is just an instrument that can help the luthier, if the luthier doesn't work well, plek does not work well.

Sabato likes this.
  10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Judging by the 2017 SG I had to fix the frets on, there's no universal result from this process.

new6659 likes this.
  11. I was considering sending in a es295 custom shop, 2015. It’s my understanding it was pleked prior to leaving the factory, but i am the second owner, even though the first kept it in a box.

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice