Please never be like one of the greatest players ever

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by blueruins, Jun 8, 2019.

1. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

As someone who has experienced depression - fortunately mine was situational, and short lived - I can say that it is about the worst feeling in the world. I had been under extreme stress for a number of months, and then came home from work one night, sat on the couch, and couldn't interact with anyone. It was like being in a dark cloud, with no possibility of light breaking through - complete hopelessness. My wife called my father, who took one look at me and knew immediately what was wrong. He got me to talk about my stress, and once identified, he pitched in to help shoulder a workload that was crushing me. Without his help, I can't say what might have happened. It is still a constant reminder to never let myself get into that position ever again.

calebaaron666 and blueruins like this.
  2. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Electromatic

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    Just my personal observation, but the Telecaster seems to have a very poor record of being associated with very talented guitarist who either die early or commit suicide.....Don Rich, Terry Kath, Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanan, to name a few.

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That's a depressing thought in all it's astuteness. Luckily I'm not talented...:oops:

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  4. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    The internet would have afforded Danny not only a wider recognition, but also the freedom to play the way he wanted, without the labels and confines of the record industry, or the showmanship tricks of a limited tour. I wish he had lived to see it. But maybe the world wasn’t ready for him.

blueruins likes this.
  5. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    This deserves to be repeated and shouted from the rooftops.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's not only a musician problem---it's an issue for many. Suicide has been described as a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I don't know that you can call it a cry for help---by that point it's far too late to help. Mental health screening should be far more prevalent ion our modern times. Too many folks need help that aren't getting it. They're out on the streets, some are buying weapons, some are involved with children, some are in politics and other positions of power. We need to find and help those that need it before it's too late for them and those they come into contact with.

NJDevil and blueruins like this.
  7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I can’t help but also feel that Gatton’s relationship with Buchanan may have influenced his behavior. I wonder if he didn’t suspect he might be more of a legend from the other side?

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    At one point, they all drank water, too! The same logic could be applied to the Strat or any other guitar or any other instrument.

Merc likes this.
  9. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Hey Doc, Is there really such thing as "clinical depression" or is the diagnosis bi-polar? I ask because I've known people with Depression/Bi-polar disorder.

I take a personal interest on the topic because I started having panic attacks in high school. I always came up with some kind physical issue (ie. virus, stomach bug, etc...) but I noticed patterns. In college, the condition worsened and became more of a disorder that consumed my conscious thoughts for much of the time every day.....wondering when "it" would happen. By the time I turned 39, the panic attacks turned to something consistently different and I felt like I lived under an umbrella of anxiety. Klonopin has been the "go to" drug of choice and the only one I have accepted.

Now I'm 46 and take medication and have partnered with a series of doctors to explore "the why" of what was happening. I read a lot. GABA, GABA receptors, the re-uptake of Seratonin, and many other things. I learned that both my mother's mother and my uncle (mom's brother) committed suicide. I learned that my grandmother had electro-shock treatments...I was then told by my father that she suffered from Depression. My mother had panic attacks and so do I. I know others that have had/have it and remained prisoners in their home. I also learned that many times descendants of people with Depression have an issue of panic or anxiety.

In my '30s I started independently studying Physics and Chemistry. I had, and still do have, a fascination into researching information for all things I have questions for. This gave me the power to question the doctors.... The originally prescribed medication was not enough as external/life pressures added as an additional influence. I understood my problem was just as physical as a person with a broken leg....except a broken leg is easy to see while explaining panic attacks is something most are not prepared to understand. Doctors tried to throw different medications at me like darts at a board under the premise they understood possible root causes and tried to match different medications understanding how they affected the brain............I turned most everything away. Paxil? Hell no! It changes brain chemistry among other things. Seroquel? Not a chance. There's been a ton of others but I understood how each one worked. I drove doctors crazy until my actions "forced" them to partner with me vs. dictate with blind acceptance how I would be treated. I understood the science.....how alcohol, sugar, different foods promote inflammation and can exacurbate the problem.

10. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    If you or anyone skipped reading my post above, I mean to get to the heart of it. Being depressed and having depression may/probably are not the same thing. Depression is a physical affliction that may be rooted in brain chemistry, synapsis not "firing" correctly, neurotransmitters not being "received" correctly and/or other root causes.

I firmly believed the feelings that Danny Gatton had was a deep Depression with the root cause being a physical issue within the brain. I understand it but am grateful I do not suffer the same. With having dealt with my own disorder, I can say I love life more every day....even to the point that pain and a little suffering is a gift that lets me know I'm alive! I like the good things more though! I have more interests than I do time to see to it.

Unfortunately, having that outlook really does not seem to be a possibility with those that suffer the same as Danny Gatton....not all kill themselves, BUT....they suffer nonetheless and I have hope that a better understanding towards mental illness can be explored by the medical community and expedite the path to more answers.

wabash slim and calebaaron666 like this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes and yes and yes

I am of the belief that future generations will look back at how we deal with mental illness the same way people nowadays look at the social injustices that have occurred before today; with outrage.

There is a difference between being depressed and having depression. Just like the difference between true loneliness and being lonesome. Townes Van Zandt compared it to the difference between being poor and being broke.

I work with people with mental illness as a profession. I am by no means an expert, but I have some understanding of it. I do know that those who do not suffer have no comprehension of how it really feels, even those of us that work in the field.

No amount of money, success, or people telling you “everything is fine” can make someone suddenly change their mind and be happy.

However, a lot of people can recover! It takes support, care, expert treatment from understanding people, and time to quiet the storm.

Notice I said recover, not cure.

new6659 and NJDevil like this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I agree with a few others from what little I know about Danny. Achieving success may not have helped him, unless someone knows of a suicide letter he wrote and the true reason why. It could’ve been a number of reasons to include marriage problems or finance.

One person I knew killed himself due to his wife wanting a divorce. I have more stories as I’m sure others here do as well.

It saddens me to hear kids doing it nowadays due to cyber bullying. In today’s world you’ve got to have talks with the kids at some point.

NJDevil likes this.
  13. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Wow calebaaron as your whole post really addressed "it"....especially your last sentence! I believe you have a strong and firm understanding of it with also the desire to know more as science and research reveals more. I completely forgot about Townes Van Zandt but you provided another great example.

In my case, I have learned certain practices that really help and yeah, playing guitar really helps.....along with a balanced weight-lifting regimen, cooking, reading, and just living. I dare say that fighting anxiety disorder has maybe made me a happier person because of all the things I've learned that are healthy to combat it.

Thanks for the great input and I have great respect for your choosing your professional path in this area!

calebaaron666 and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice