Please never be like one of the greatest players ever

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by blueruins, Jun 8, 2019.

1. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    For some reason his story has been tearing me up the last few days.
    Danny Gatton is one of my favorite players. Just unstoppable talent and creativity. When I think of a natural born guitar player he comes up near the top. Tommy Emmanuel and Chet are like that too...they really sound like they can make the guitar do whatever they happen to be thinking of.
    I sometimes contemplate the end of his life and how empty and sad it seems.
    I really believe that YouTube would have made him one of the biggest stars in the guitar world and if he had hung on for a few more years. His lifetime of work was about to pay out beyond his and his families imagination.
    Please don’t ever be like Danny Gatton.
    Life turns on a dime and you never know when you’ll be sitting on top of the world again...truly it will always have surprises for you.
    Keep an open heart and gratitude for whatever you have.

T Bone, cowmoo, JC higgy and 7 others like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Fabulous player. Sad that he took his life. It’s difficult to fathom that unless you’ve experienced depression yourself or with a loved one.

3. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Good advice from Mr. Gatton here:

Merc, blueruins and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Would love to have seen him and Darrel Higham trade licks.

Merc and blueruins like this.
  5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Great player and very tragic that he never lived long enough to achieve the success he deserved.

6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I don’t know the specifics of his story but I would guess him achieving greater success would not have made a difference in his depression.

Sad.........so many sad artist stories out there.

7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

A sad life's story. Way too many musical geniuses struggle, and ultimately pay too big a price.

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Indeed sad and fabulous. However, I am not aware that he necessarily committed suicide due to some lack of success. I suspect there were issues that had nothing to do with guitar, fame or money. But I'm not psychxxxxxx nor did I know him so I'm just talking out my rear.

Merc, drmilktruck and blueruins like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I suspect he was perfectly aware he always was gonna be a player’s player at best. A bit like Roy Buchanan, Jeff Beck, and Albert Lee.
    Not saying it might have played a part in taking his own life though.

10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Of course there must be deeper issues but they say he was under extreme financial pressure at the end of his life. I know his reluctance to tour was a drag on his career.
    His two major label albums failed to make major sales and I imagine he felt like a failure.
    It just kills me that he was so close to the take off of YouTube. It would have solved all those material problems without him having to tour.
    I’m sure there were much deeper issues as you say but it will always make me wonder what if?

Charlie westside likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Absolutely true. You could just as well argue greater success could destabilize him cause success often seems to remove people from the reality they’re in.

12. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    He truly was an incredible talent. Anytime they name a musical style after you it's because of your phenomenal at playing. I agree with you. He would have exploded on the music world and had A grammy nomination, I don't remember if it was 90, 91 sometime in the early 90's
    sad and tragic to lose an artist to depression. It happens all to often.
    If any of you incredible and wonderful musicians here suffer from depression. Please. Get help.

NJDevil, Merc, radd and 1 other person like this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Mental illnesses are extremly hard to understand by other people.
    It is like the brain is wired in a different way. At some point it really does not matter how successful these patients are. There is simply nothing that makes them happy anymore. No money, no hollidays no loving family can make them feel good.
    It is a permanant state of sadness, anger and excessive demand.

14. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Well said

loudnlousy likes this.
  15. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    At the risk of having my membership here revoked for committing sacrilege, although I agree he was a phenomenal player he can be exhausting to listen to. For my taste, he's just too over the top.

I doubt he ever would have had mainstream success. His playing couldn't be pigeon holed and he was just too hard to market.

Just one man's opinion.

16. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    A friend turned me onto Danny's music back in the late 80's or early 90's and it was something I had never heard before...like a style of guitar that had never existed before, at least, in my mind.

blueruins likes this.
  17. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I wouldn’t argue.

I imagine his success would have been more along the lines of Greg Koch and Pete Thorn.

Plenty of god-smacked guitar players would tune in to see him wrangle a new magic dingus.

But I guess that’s the sad point....we’ll never know.

drmilktruck and hogrider16 like this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I honestly have heard the name for years but never actually heard his playing until now. Obviously a great player and now I know why his name kept getting uttered. I had no idea he committed suicide.

Life can be such a blessing, it’s tragic when someone takes their own. It’s a lot more common as well as the thoughts then people realize.

If you ever see signs such as suddenly giving or selling all their stuff, odd comments, or whatever has caused you to suspect it. Don’t be around the bush, just ask directly if they are thinking of hurting themselves or taking their life. Even if it’s uncomfortable for a minute, it’s better than looking back afterwords and wishing you spoke up and asked.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  19. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Success, like money doesn’t guarantee happiness. The pursuit of either in hopes that it brings it most often results in the opposite.

Thank God I’ve never been good enough to be lured into the idea that my playing would be my means to happiness.

section2 and blueruins like this.
  20. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    You are correct. Asking someone if they are thinking of hurting themselves does not cause someone to do it. I ask that question several times a day to the patients I see with depression. The follow up question if they say no, is, "Would you tell me or someone else if you have those thoughts?" People who can say yes are lower risk. People who can't are at higher risk. If they are thinking of harming themselves, encourage them to seek help and if necessary tell someone else who can help. You might just save someone's life.

section2, Les Pedals, audept and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice